RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Question about Power Paths

Old 02-11-2007, 02:39 AM

Question about Power Paths

I have a question about paths before I purchase the book. Will the path functions included on the CD allow me to do things like type text following a path like a heart shape or a wavy line? Will the path functions let me do stuff like type text WITHIN a certain shape like a star or circle? What about stuff like "stroke path with brush?"

What are the differences btwn the paths functions in PSCS2 vs the HE Power Paths?

I am a digital scrapbooker and would love to have these options.

Hope I am making some sort of sense. Thanks for any input or advice.

Mimi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 AM

Re: Question about Power Paths

The specific functionality that you mention is not all in Photoshop, even in the CS3 release. Specifically you cannot (that I know of) fit type into a shape (unless you are talking about masking).

There is a complete tool list on the site:

http://www.hiddenelements.com/hppe4_tool_list.htm

Specifically for paths, the following are included:

Set: Power_Paths

Combine Paths
This tool will combine paths. Be sure the paths to be combined are on the same shape layer and active.

Delete Clipping Path
This tool will delete any clipping path assigned to the current image with the Make Clipping Path tool. If no clipping path exists, an error message will appear.

Make Clipping Path
This tool will create a clipping path for your image. Be sure a path is visible and active in the current image.

Shape From Selection
This tool will make a path and shape layer based on any selection. The selection should be active in your image. Choose the Tolerance and color in the dialogs that follow.

Shape From Text
This tool will create path outlines from any text on a currently active text layer.

Elements has almost no vector tools natively. I had originally done quite a lot with vector functions, but ended up abandoning that because it seemed fewer people were interested than I'd have thought. It is unlikely that i will be adding base functionality that Photoshop does not support.

OK?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 08:36 AM

thank you so much for your speedy reply.

I'm going to link up to some tutorials for PSCS2 that I wish to be able to do in PSE4. (the tutorials are from http://www.digiscrappingtutorials.com)

Text inside a shape; http://www.cgedownloads.com/DigiTuto...de-A-Shape.pdf

Text on a path: http://www.cgedownloads.com/DigiTuto...xt-on-Path.pdf

Are there any HE tools that allow me to achieve these results? Would upgrading to PSE5 help?
And if there is a way, I will spread the word among digiscrappers (PSE is a popular program with us).

thank you!
Mimi

Last edited by meems; 02-11-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM

The tools I provide will not change the base functionality of the type tool, and that is what is needed for ether of these solutions. Photoshop can type on a path and in a shape (now that i see what you are doing, I thought you wanted it in the shape layer itself). HOWEVER, the type tool in Elements does not do this. That said I have been able to make it work in a fixed shape. For example, I can give you a tool that would render say 5 different shapes (e.g., heart, speach balloon, etc.) with the ability to adjust the type in them. If you think this would be interesting I can create a new tool. I can also make type work on a path, but I have the same limitation in that the shape needs to be pre-defined.

you would be able to change the type style, color, scale/transform the shape, apply warp, etc.

If you want both of these, I can do it and make thee tool available for $25, but I'd need the list of shapes. If you can provide even 4 verified buyers, I'd give you a copy free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Thank you for the offer but I doubt that I can find buyers b/c they would probably by something like this for $3: http://thedailyscrap.com/mall/index....oducts_id=1916

Other people sell similar templates that they create in PSCS2.

Going back to the Power Paths, I will admit I don't understand the paths things much and am not sure what a clipping path is. Does the book have an explanation or is this something I need to know before I can use the book/cd?

thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2007, 06:52 AM

The book (http://aps8.com/hppe4.html) does have explanations as to how to use the tools in context, but if you have some idea of what they do, the book may not be necessary.

Thanks for the information on the templates. I really had no idea something like that was generally available, and assumed you were asking because it was not. $3 seems pretty reasonable, and quite frankly I wouldn't be able to support selling at that price. I may still put up a package on my site now that I know there is an interest...perhaps something with 10-25 shapes and type on a path for Elements users. We'll see...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 AM

I was hoping there would be a way to just make my own somehow with PSE4.

Anyway, if you do end up making some, you might want to mention it at http://www.digishoptalk.com. Lots of digiscrappers hang out there.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support