RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

New to the Forum

Old 03-25-2007, 02:24 PM

New to the Forum

This is my first post so I will try to be brief. I recently purchased PE4 and have been trying to get to grips with it and so far it is going reasonably well. I am using Adobes own book "Classroom in a Book" and I find it to be well written. I also bought Barbara's book, which brings me to my question. I have downloaded your free tool set to try out, also I have downloaded but not installed Grants tools. Is there any need to have both sets or is it better to just have yours?

My second question, do I have to uninstall the free tools if in the near future I decide to buy your complete set of tools, and is there any special uninstall instructions that I have to follow?

Thank you for your time and look forward to reading and posting on this forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Re: New to the Forum

Just to let you know, 'Adobe Press' has the Adobe name, but it is not an Adobe product. They want you to think that so they sell a lot of books.

My set of tools was the original set, and Grant copied -- for whatever reason. His gained popularity because I could not speak about mine in many forums because I was an author, and he could tout his wherever he pleased. Quite frankly, the differing advantage led me to do a lot less for Elements users than I could have. Because I am an author and am perceived as having 'something to sell', even my free tools are not free for me to announce. Not to be boastful, but as I started with Elements 1, I know more about creating these than anyone...I just wish I were free to announce them. Because I can't announce, I tend not to bother. Otherwise I'd have a lot more tools available.

But to sum up...you don't need "Grant's Tools" and mine (he even stole the idea of 'tools, BTW'). Mine do as much and more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Thank you for the quick reply, and I understand all that you said.
Can you please tell me if I have to uninstall the free set of tools before I install the paid for version?

Again, thanks for the quick reply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 02:53 PM

There may be some functionality overlap, but there is no reason to uninstall before installing the larger set. I make my tools so they do not conflict.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 PM

Richard,

Thanks for the post. I use Ele 5 for Raw processing, but there I times when I would like to use a layer mask and a channel mixer without having to dump out of Ele and into PS 7. I have found a way to fudge a layer mask in Ele, but it would be easier with a little bit more of a seamless process, since sometimes a simple layer mask is all I have left to do. Thanks for the link/tips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 06:37 PM

Even the free tools cover that. Hope they help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 PM

I'm a bit surprised that it is considered a conflict of interest to announce one's own tools if one is an author. Your tools are simply phenomenal! I've seen nothing like them anywhere else...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2007, 05:13 AM

Since I first posted this thread I have purchased the "Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 4" and at present I am giving it a through once over before reading it in earnest and I must say that it looks as though I have forgotten a lot about photography. I have done some experimenting and have been learning the basic tools in PE4 as a way of learning the software and as you say it can become quite addictive. I have a load of shots that I have to download and I have no doubt that the book will come into its own when I start using your book. Having said all that, I do agree with (camner) about your tools, I too see no reason as to why you cannot trumpet your own work. I think it smacks of small mindedness IMHO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camner
I'm a bit surprised that it is considered a conflict of interest to announce one's own tools if one is an author. Your tools are simply phenomenal! I've seen nothing like them anywhere else...
Forums do not like you 'advertising'. They either believe it is a priveledge to pay for, or they think it might lead to spamming a list. I have tried to work out 'one-time' announcements of things in various places, and that has worked OK...but others with free tools and no paid products have free reign--a marketing inequality. I can't post about even my free tools in many places because I am recognized as having other products. It is so frustrating I almost gave up after Elements 3.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn
I think it smacks of small mindedness IMHO.
I have understood the point in most forums and the rules about spamming. The things that are suggested are 'advertising' (paid), or disassociating the free products from the paid ones completely (different branding and no mention of other products). Well, if I have to pay for advertising the price has to go up (which I'd prefer not to do) and if I have to disassociate the tool sets from the freebees entirely, I end up competing against myself.

It is a pretty extreme frustration.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support