RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Installing to Vista

Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 AM

Installing to Vista

How do I install HiddenTools with Windows Vista?

Installation program doesn't work, because Vista doesn't use Documents And Settings-folder any more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM

Re: Installing to Vista

You're probably going to have to wait for an update to Hidden Elements. Vista breaks a lot of things because Microsoft did not include support for hundreds and hundreds of dll, library files, control support files and data access components etc. If it doesn't run under .net you're out of luck. (This is frustrating a LOT of folks who can't run necessary applications, like QuickBooks for example, until Intuit gets out a Vista compatable version).

You might try installing and running Elements under
Virtual PC a free download from MS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks Swampy.

But isn't it possible just to create right folders into Program Files\Elements\ and copy ATN-files there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 PM

Soumalaine, you can try that, but without the MDACs (which is how MS supported some third party data access) it probably won't work. Vista is a whole new ball game. Under Vista, all software must now adhere to M$'s .net method of accessing program data/instruction files. Programmers have to update their software to work correctly with .net. Older PC software, written in certain programming codes which relied on M$ data access components are broken. As I understand it, and this is a simplified example... when you run a filter in HE on WIN XP, it goes out and looks for the data (coding) that processes that element (ANT file). M$ used to provide the dll or library file or data access component routines that would find and run that filter. Now the programmers have to write their own routines to locate and run them. Compare it to knowing a word, but not how to spell it so you'd look it up in the dictionary. M$ no longer provides the dictionary.

I us a Mac, but I have a little understanding about Vista and why older software may be broken. My accountant installed Vista on one of their computers and tried to use QuickBooks to compute taxes for some of their clients that keep their accounts in QB. Broken, totally Broken. My sister, who is a Psion programmer, verified this and explained to me about MDAC vs .net. Apple users went through much the same situation when moving from OS-9 to OSX. At least Apple provided a way for them to continue running their older software under OS-9 when needed.

Virtual PC will act as an emulator for older programs that need MDAC. It's a pain, but folks say it works.

Last edited by Swampy; 04-09-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2007, 02:56 PM

Than You again.

I think I'll wait. I already have all the pain I need. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support