RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Advertise Here

Hidden Power Curve Presets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 AM

Hidden Power Curve Presets

As a new user of PSE4 (Mac) and Hidden Elements I am confused about the application of Hidden Power Curve Presets. Having opened the file and been presented with the Curves interface I then locate the curve I wish to apply in the layer stack. So far so good. Item 5 of the instructions (page 116 of The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements4) then says:

'Click the thumbnail for the curve next to the preset you would like to apply, and drag the curve layer to the image where you wish to apply the correction.'

Does this mean drag the layer to the image in the Photo Bin? I assumed it did as there was no other image visible, the Curves interface occupying the PSE4 window. But having done this I can detect no alteration to the image, and indeed none has been made, since the Save command under Edit is grayed out. Where am I going wrong?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 PM

Re: Hidden Power Curve Presets

Tony, I don't use elements so don't know if I 'm of much help, but do you see the PE layers palette? Perhaps it wants you to drage the selected adjustment icon to the correct layer?

Stab in the dark here.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:07 PM

I had the same problem when trying the curves presets the firt time. When you drag the preset layer to the other image just like you describe it, nothing changes in the layer view of the target image, only the effect is applied directly. To test this, choose sronger changes, or drag the layer once more, you should see the result. It is worth trying, you can get subtle or stronger effects if you wish, and the results are very clean.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 AM

Do I see the PE layers palette? Yes, but if you have the Hidden Power Curve Presets active you don't see layers of the image you want to apply the Curve Presets to. The only representation of the image you want to change is in the Photo Bin. Dragging Curve Presets - even repeatedly - on to this icon achieves nothing on my setup so I'm none the wiser. I suggest that the fact that the Save command remains grayed out in these circumstances confirms no alteration has been made.
I'm plainly doing something wrong but being a novice have yet to figure it out.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM

Sorry, I was not clear.
Now that you have both your file and the hidden...psd open, you should have both visible at the same time: Window/arrange/tile. With the psd active and the layer palette visible, click on the thumbnail you have chosen and drag it on your file, not on the file bin. Now if you make your file active by clickin in it, you should see the ajdustment layer. This trick of copying a layer adjustment from one file to another works with any version of Photoshop or Elements. Hope this helps...
Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 AM

Yes. Got it. Many thanks. I didn't realise there was such a thing as Window - Arrange - Tile. All is now clear, and, as expected, it works. I'm much obliged.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:30 AM

Sorry I did not get a notification that this message was posted--probably because it was not in a category. Glad you were able to solve the problem.