RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Adobe Photoshop Layers Book: useful for Elements?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:44 AM

Question Adobe Photoshop Layers Book: useful for Elements?

For me, layers seem the hardest-to-understand part of Elements. I'm wondering if this book, even though written specifically for Photoshop, would be helpful in understanding the principles of using layers, or whether it's too tied to specific tools in Photoshop to be helpful.

Will
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 AM

Re: Adobe Photoshop Layers Book: useful for Elemen

I would be also interested in reviews or opinions on this book: I have learned so much with his Hiddenelements 4 book. As far as I know, the main limitation in Elements is that layers work only in 8 bits in Elements, which is not a problem to learn, understand and take advantage of the book. Probably parts of this book dedicated to unavailable options or commands (blend if...) won't be usable, which does not mean you won't understand. I expect there will be more than what is needed for Elements, but all that is needed and useful should be there. If you don't want to buy this book, you'll find the basics in his hiddenelements books and tools.
Just an example: even if you can use channels and channels mixer add-ons for Elements, his way to separate and recombine R,G,B channels as layers is so much more untuitive and flexible that I prefer to go this way, especially for B&W conversion. I would use it even in the full photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks, Michel. I've worked through most of Richard's book on Elements 3 and am about to jump into his book on Elements 4, which I've heard is an upgrade, itself.

I take it you haven't actually looked at his book on Photoshop Layers?

Will
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdoak View Post
Thanks, Michel. I've worked through most of Richard's book on Elements 3 and am about to jump into his book on Elements 4, which I've heard is an upgrade, itself.

I take it you haven't actually looked at his book on Photoshop Layers?

Will
Right, just like you I was also waiting for some feed-back... Also, it takes 6 weeks to get the book from Amazon here! No news from Richard Lynch about PSE5 or PSE6 boks or tools? Elements users feel some frustration! I can confirm that the tools for PSE4 also work in PSE5 and PSE6 provided you know how to install them. Apologies to Richard for disclosing this info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 PM

I found those user reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/review/product...wViewpoints=1;
The last one states 'it's not difficult to adapt these techniques to Elements 6'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 AM

Thanks, Michel. I read those also. I was surprised at how much Richard contributed to that page. I guess I shouldn't have been. ;-)

In the introduction to HPPE 4, he asks people to contact him if they have a problem, not to post a negative review on Amazon. I guess that presupposes that people are willing to make a go of it, rather than falling back on their favorite how-to guide.

Also, in HPPE 4, he discusses how to get Photoshop actions to run in Elements, to the extent the functions are available. (All the Hidden Power Tools are actions.) So maybe that's a way to adapt his techniques in the layers books to Elements.

And eventually, I’ll have to stop speculating and buy the book!

Will
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 AM

Will,
I think I can get the book from Amazon UK... If that works, you'll still have to wait for weeks before you get my feedback!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 AM

Hi,
Since my forums were moved here I have not been getting notifications, so sorry if there has been a lot of discussion going on and I'm just waiting to hear...

I have had some people get the new layers book, and while not all of it is applicable to Elements, I wanted to make it an Elements and Photoshop book and of course that was too radical for the publisher...It would confuse people. So it is written for Photoshop CS3, but really can mostly be used for Elements.

Here's a deal: find something in the book that can't be done in Elements and ask about it here, and I'll answer the question.

Get: The Adobe Photoshop Layers Book

If there are specific questions I can answer those!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel B View Post
I can confirm that the tools for PSE4 also work in PSE5 and PSE6 provided you know how to install them. Apologies to Richard for disclosing this info.
I would think from my testing that this would NOT be the case. Some tools might work, but not all of them.

I have heard so little chatter about Elements 5 and Elements 6 while busy with other projects that I assume people were disinterested. If I hear some noise, I'd probably have more reason to get things going!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
I would think from my testing that this would NOT be the case. Some tools might work, but not all of them.

I have heard so little chatter about Elements 5 and Elements 6 while busy with other projects that I assume people were disinterested. If I hear some noise, I'd probably have more reason to get things going!
Glad to see you back, Richard!
I should have stated 'all the tools I'am interested in' do work. Even those who did not work in my French version do work in my PSE6 English version.
True, there has not been much discussion about Elements in this forum, but if you are curious and have a look at other Elements forums, you'll be surprised at the interest arisen by the new PSE6 version, especially because of the difficulty of installing actions. The main results seems that on that account, many advanced Photoshop Elements users have not upgraded to PSE6. Also did you have a look at what happened to the forum of photoshop Elements users? You might find interesting opinions in he two resulting forums: elementsvillage and photoshopcreativeelements...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support