RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Adding Filters to PSE6?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Re: Adding Filters to PSE6?

Thanks Richard for your confidence. I feel I'll have to do something to live up to it.
I really can't add anything new. Your description says it all. I couldn't have done it better myself.
As I'm still using Windows XP (Home Edition) I'm not sure about the similar folder/pathnames in Vista, but I think your path is correct.

Note that in XP the "Application Data" folder is normally hidden and unless you have enabled Explorer to show hidden files and folders you might not be able to see it.
When you generate the icon .png files, load the original .psd file, make the layer with the icon you wish to generate visible (all the other layers must be hidden) then use File->Save As and choose .png in the extension list, type the name and click OK. The hidden layers will be discarded and only the visible layer will be used. This method will save you some time.
With the meta files .xml I used an existing file as a template, then edited it and saved it with the correct name. You can use Notepad for this purpose, but don't use the *.txt extension. If you do, you will save the file as "the name you type".txt - use the all files extension.
That's it from me - enjoy

Roland
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2007, 05:45 AM

Roland, thanks for emphasizing the potential extension issue. If you save the file from notepad using quotes around the name (e.g., "[my file name].xml") the file will save with the extension. Otherwise you may have to go back and change the extension manually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 AM

14-02-2008

Implementing Hiddenpower4 in elements 6.0

For a couple of months ago, I wrote to Richard Lynch, and asked him when he will converting the Hidden Powers for Adobe elements 6.0.
I have not get a clear answer.
So, yesterday I did it myself.
I was made observant by Mike Russel ( developer of Curvemeister) on the discussion-forum on RETOUCHEPRO
This is on:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/hid...-under-xp.html

So I read partial some readings and tried to implement it.
for instance i executed the prgr on CD the HPPE4_PC.exe.
The prgr will extract parts to elements 6.0 , but does this on the wrong place.
So before continuing the extracting you are in the opportunity to browse to the right place where Hiddenpowers could place his
parts.
This place is :

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\photo effects\

So , when you browse there in the execution popup from HPPE4_PC.exe to that place you can continue with the execution.

When you go after the execution to this map you will see there 6 maps or directory's.

Power_Adjustments
Power_Extras
Power_Masking
Power_Paths
Power_Playback
Power_Separations

in each map there are .atn files without picture files with the same name and the extension .PNG
Well there are .PSD files, one in each map.
Wen you open such a .psd file in Elements 6.0 you see a lot of layered pictures.
Each layer is named specific to a name corresponding to a .atn file in that map.

Elemenents 4.0 did automatically convert these .psd files to .png pictures, so you can see them in the effects panel.
Elements 6.0 does this not.
So you must load the .psd file and make visible the first layer. Click on the eye of the layer which was visible before.
You see now a icon on the screen, representing the first layer. All other layers are not visible, the eyes clicked off.
Search in the map where you loaded the .psd file from to the right name.
I did this with Total Commander , but you could do it also with the explorer.
Copy the right name example : xxxxx.atn wich corresponded with he visible icon.
Go no to Elements 6.0 and save the visible icon with the name you copied and with the extension .PNG in the same map.
When you did it right, there are 2 same names in the map.
Example:

in the map: Power_Adjustments, there is now:
Channel Mixer.atn
Channel Mixer.png

You must do each layers icon on the same way. The order which icon to do first, is yours.
But pay attention that you see the icons name on the screen and make all other layer icons not visible, by clicking the eyes in the layers.

By saving the open icons-layers to a .PNG file, it is flattend.

After you have done all, you go to Elements 6.0 and start it again with SHFT+CTRL+ALT.

when it is right all is there in the effects part under Fx.

It is not necessarily to load each time the same .psd file. When saved the icon, you do CTRL Z and the old layers are there, and you can choose the next Icon and make him active
by clicking the eye and unclicking the other just saved icon.

Frits Egelie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Good work Egelie, and welcome to the forum!
I also installed the PSE4 powertools in PSE6, and I even created the .xml files to get the actions in their own categories (maybe I omitted 5 or 6 I don't use). I did the same with the dynamic duo. A lot of work, but it was a breeze to reinstall when I changed my computer!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel B View Post
Good work Egelie, and welcome to the forum!
I even created the .xml files to get the actions in their own categories (maybe I omitted 5 or 6 I don't use). I did the same with the dynamic duo. A lot of work, but it was a breeze to reinstall when I changed my computer!
I have read this to day about the xml files.
Perhaps i do it also on a later time.
But what is the dynamic duo ?
---------
I looked in the book , but can't find sucg a thing.
-------
Because i had before elements 4.0 a dutch version, some commands did not work.
now i have a english elements version 4.0. So i will try some others.
But , the be honest. I use Curvemeister plugin, and that plugin can do the most things also.

Frits

Last edited by Egelie; 02-14-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egelie View Post
I have read this to day about the xml files.
Perhaps i do it also on a later time.
But what is the dynamic duo ?

Frits
It is a tool for PSE5, 'Hidden Power Dynamic Images'.
http://www.hiddenelements.com/elements5_tools.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Michel,

i think this sort of things are also discussed on the forum of Curvemeister.
HD fotography.

Frits
p.s. trie this one.
http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/in...;topicseen#new
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM

As a matter of fact, the purpose of the hidden tools is different. The first tool builds a layers setup based on masks to correct color selectively in highlights, midtones and shadows. The other one builds another layers setup to enhance selectively contrast and color to get more 'pop' (hence 'dynamic'). As mentioned in their description, they are not one-click actions. You are guided through the process of building the setup, then you have to play with layers opacity to obtain what you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM

I have no understanding of HD photography. I have read it a little.
but speaking of Hidden tools 4.0.
I have read the book carefully. Not entirely, but the most things and special those thing i use.
I use Curvemeister more then a year now. My experience is that the most things i do, can be done with curvemeister.
Each thing in the book i have compared with Curvemeister and the conclusion is the most things works nice perhaps better in Curvemeister.
their are some things Hidden Power do better.
for instance i use the most, Snapshot, Colormasking, ( but curvemeister new version has also masking, so I can now compare which works better)
Blend mask Tool, RGB separation, Hidden power lab en Hidden power effects.
So i have now a english version of elements , and there are parts of Hidden power which did not work in the dutch elements 4.0.
now they work well, i hope.

I go again comparing the possibilities. I choose from each part the best.
One time it is hidden powers and the most time it is Curvemesiter.

frits
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Frits,

I have not tested curvemeister, I'll probably try the demo. It seems very close to the free smartcurves at easyfilter. I use this plug-in as well as the hidden tools, depending on my needs. I can tell you that the hidden tools which did not work properly in my French PSE4 version now work normally in my US PSE6 version.

Best wishes with PSE6 and the tools!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support