Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Adding Filters to PSE6?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Re: Adding Filters to PSE6?

Curvmeister is an expensive plugin that does only a few things. It can make masks and apply curves. Hidden Power does many -- there are 100 tools in the tool set for Elements 4 and 10 tools or more in the free sets. Curvemeister can't do MOST of these things.

Frankly, I work in Photoshop/Elements all the time, and have no use at all for that plugin. Curves are over-rated, over-hyped, and generally unnecessary if you use good processing skills (which I explain in the book -- worth the read if you actually already have it...if you have it and don't read it, why not?).

As far as masking, the combination of tools you have for masking in the free tool set alone is more powerful than what you have in curvmeister.

Granted i have fallen behind on tool production as Adobe chose to not support Elements for versions 5 and 6 (or 6 not till recently), and that is my primary working place. Early 2008 has been very busy for me, but I believe I'll have some tool release for Elements 5 and 6 shortly. I would certainly be spurred by some interest...instead of what amounts to ads for other products.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
xml files

While XML files may not contain a language most are familiar with, they are really pretty simple. You need to create one with the same name as the other two files and it should have the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<PSEContent xmlns="">
<name id="Name" value="[your action name]" localize="true"/>
<type value="effect" />
<typecategory id="TypeCat" value="[the group you want it in]" localize="true" />

Just copy and paste this, change the [your action name] and [the group you want it in] items, and save as a text document with the .XML extension.
Can I ask for a little clarification on the xml files? I was wondering how the name of the xml file vs the name of the action (or in my case I was trying to figure out a layer style .asl) affect things? Should the .asl have the exact same name as the xml and the exact same name in the value field? I have a few .asl files that I can't seem to make xml's that work. All these .asl files have interesting characteristics like spaces, dashes, single quote etc in the name.

For xml files being simple there doesn't seem to be much information about on what they mean.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2008, 04:13 AM
Re: Adding Filters to PSE6?

I am not sure I can help you there. Maybe posting in the Hiddenelements sub-forum will not be the best place to ask your question about asl files (layer styles). It is a more general topic with installing add-ons in Elements.
Since I have not experience with installing asl files, what I can tell you is that the xml files should be located in different folders depending on their purpose. PSE looks there to find customized settings.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support