RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Adding Filters to PSE6?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM

Adding Filters to PSE6?

How do I add 3rd party filters to PSE6?

I have tried adding them to c:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\Filters

I also tried making my own Plug-Ins directory and pointing PSE6 to it via: Edit--->Preferences--->Plug_Ins...

Neither of these worked, as the filters do not show up in the drop down list in the Effects window.

I tried resetting the settings via Ctrl/Alt/Shift during the Editor startup but that didn't fix it.

I even tried deleting MediaDatabase.db3 - no dice.

How the heck do I add third party Filters?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM

Re: Adding Filters to PSE6?

Which filters? I suppose you mean hiddenelements tools. They are actions and the path to install them differs in XP and Vista; otherwise, to install real plug-ins, they generally go directly in the /plug-ins subdirectory, not the /plug-ins/Effects and appear in the Filters menu, not the effect palette.
In XP, actions go into:
C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\Photo Effects

They should appear in the 'show all' menu of the effect icon in the effects palette. You have to restart, and wait for the database to update, which may take some time... be patient.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 12:44 PM

No - It wasn't Richard's stuff. It was some 3rd party filters.

I am not sure what happened, but I got it working.

Here is what I did:

1 - I de-installed PSE6 and reinstalled it
2 - The base directories for my filters were in a directory I created: d:\Data\Documents\Adobe\PSE Plugins\Filters
3 - I started PSE 6 and went to Edit--->Preferences--->Plug-Ins... and entered the plug-in directory name: "d:\Data\Documents\Adobe\PSE Plugins".
4 - Closed and re-started PSE 6
5 - No new filters!
6 - Closed PSE 6
7 - Moved the filters down one level to my "d:\Data\Documents\Adobe\PSE Plugins" directory
8 - Restarted PSE and the filters are now there!

I KNOW I tried this earlier and it didn't work (well - I THINK I tried it, at least :-) )

Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel B View Post
In XP, actions go into:
Cocuments and SettingsAll usersApplication DataAdobePhotoshop Elements6.0Photo CreationsPhoto Effects

They should appear in the 'show all' menu of the effect icon in the effects palette. You have to restart, and wait for the database to update, which may take some time... be patient.
Michel,

I used your advice to re-install Richard's Dynamic Images package.

It worked just as you said. Thanks!

Is there any way you know of to have it come up as a category in the Photo Effects drop down list, like it did in earlier versions of Photoshop Elements, as opposed to having to use "Show All"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM

That's the biggest problem with the changes in PSE6. Developers have to devise xml files, which is not for everybody. I gather from recent posts from Richard Lynch that the work is in progress and could be available soon for his tools. Otherwise, Graffi has devised an installer for actions, plugins and other add-ons:

http://www.graficalicus.com/graffish...=index&cPath=1

Great help for a very small price!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 PM

for lots of great help and a friendly place to boot..try this forum. It is only 2 weeks old and doing great

http://www.photoshopcreativeelements.com/index.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 10:39 PM

Whenever I add 3rd party filters or plugins to Photoshop Elements, I install them in a separate subdirectory i.e. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Plugins\
Then I open Elements and in Edit->Plugins I tick the Additional Plug-Ins Folder and select the appropiate folder. Next time you start Elements they are available. The benefit of this method is, that you don't have to reinstall your 3rd party plugins every time you upgrade Elements. If you're using the "full blown" Photoshop, you can use the same plugins without having to reinstall them.
This doesn't work with The Hidden Power Tools though. They are Actions and have to be installed in a different manner as Michel B. has described in his posts above.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandhh View Post
Whenever I add 3rd party filters or plugins to Photoshop Elements, I install them in a separate subdirectory i.e. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Plugins\
Then I open Elements and in Edit->Plugins I tick the Additional Plug-Ins Folder and select the appropiate folder. Next time you start Elements they are available. The benefit of this method is, that you don't have to reinstall your 3rd party plugins every time you upgrade Elements. If you're using the "full blown" Photoshop, you can use the same plugins without having to reinstall them.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 AM

While I appreciate the help of pointing to other forums, but what is wrong with just answering the questions here -- and for free? I prefer to have these forums active, and as long as we are on Hidden Power questions and related issues, let's assume I have the answer...otherwise this forum becomes useless.

There are three components to the Elements 6 action add-ons:

* the .atn file (the action)
* the .png file (the preview or icon)
* the .xml file (the data sidecar -- in this case a locator)

The ATN and PNG are the action files related to the older ATN (the same) and PSD file. The ATN and PSD need to be 1 to 1 (one action per one icon), named the same (except the extension), and located in the photo effects folder (Vista):

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\photo effects

This alone will get the files to show up in the Artwork and Effects palette. You will need to restart Elements, and if it does not work the first time you will need to delete the db3 files that store the cached information and restart.

While XML files may not contain a language most are familiar with, they are really pretty simple. You need to create one with the same name as the other two files and it should have the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<PSEContent xmlns="http://adobe.com/PSEContent/1.0/">
<global>
<name id="Name" value="[your action name]" localize="true"/>
<type value="effect" />
<typecategory id="TypeCat" value="[the group you want it in]" localize="true" />
</global>
</PSEContent>

Just copy and paste this, change the [your action name] and [the group you want it in] items, and save as a text document with the .XML extension. When it is saved, place it in the Photo Creations Metadata\photo effects folder. I think the location of this is diffferent on Vista and Windows, and regretfully I am not finding my Vista information...but you can search for Photo Creations Metadata (if you find it, do post the path here!).

On Windows:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en_US\Photo Creations Metadata\photo effects

I assume the path for Vista is:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en_US\Photo Creations Metadata\photo effects

I would be glad to confirm this and get the instructions on my site...you see, I am Mac user for the most part and while I am familiar with PCs, it isn't always easy to get the path info exact. I did last week, but am currently at a loss to where those notes are.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 AM

oh, Roland is here! My guess is he has some good additional information.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support