RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

I have Dynamic Image 5.0 working with PSE 6

Old 11-29-2007, 06:55 AM

I have Dynamic Image 5.0 working with PSE 6

Thanks to a lot of help by other on several boards, I have managed to get Richard's "Dynamic Image 5.0" package working with Photoshop Elements 6.

Here is what I did:
  1. Copy Color Correct.atn and Dynamic Image.atn to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\photo effects (This is for XP - I understand that the Vista directory is a bit different).

Note that the "Application Data" directory is a hidden file and you have to turn on the "Show hidden folders and files" option in the folder options in order to be able to view it.
  2. Open up the thumbs.psd file that came with Dynamic Images in Photoshop Elements. You need to save each layer as a separate PSD file. So you will have the icon for Dynamic Image icon saved as Dynamic Image.psd and the Color Correct icon saved as Dynamic Image.psd. Save these files in the same directory as the atn files you just copied.
  3. Restart Photoshop Elements. It may take a few minutes for PSD to find it but if you click the "Photo Effects" button in the Effects palette and then select "Show All" from the drop down list you will see the effects.

If you want the Effects to have their own category in the drop down list, you need to do a bit more work.
  1. Go to: C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en_US\Photo Creations Metadata\photo effects (Assuming you are in the US, use your locale if not)

You will see a bunch of XML files there (one for each of the Adobe supplied effects).
  2. Open one of the xml files in a text editor. It will look like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <PSEContent xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/PSEContent/1.0/">
    <global>

<name id="Name" value="EFFECT-NAME" localize="true"/>

<type value="effect" />

<typecategory id="TypeCat" value="EFFECT-CATEGORY" localize="true" />

</global>
    </PSEContent>
  3. Change EFFECT-NAME to the name of the effect (either "Dynamic Image" or "Color Correct").
  4. Change the EFFECT-CATEGORY to the name you want the category to be. I used "Dynamic Images".
  5. Save the file as the effect name with a ".xml" extension, i.e. "Color Correct.xml" or "Dynamic Image.xml".
  6. Restart Photoshop Elements. It may take a few minutes for PSE to find the changes, but after a while you will see your new Category in the Photo Effects drop down list and you should see the two effects listed when you select the category.

I hope this is understandable and helpful.

If it looks too complicated for you, just wait for Richard to release version 6 of the tools.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2007, 05:48 AM

Re: I have Dynamic Image 5.0 working with PSE 6

There may be more to it than just getting them to work. Functionality in the program changes from version to version. Please feel free to report errors using version 5 tools in version 6.

Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 AM

Richard,

Both the Version 5 Dynamic Image and Color Correct effects appear to work correctly in PSE 6.

However, you are the expert (which is why I use your tools :-) ), so don't depend on just ME saying it works... :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2007, 07:31 AM

I am less worried about those than the 100 other tools. When you say things work...you were actually talking about less than 2% of the total. I wanted to be clear if someone missed your earlier statement -- as i did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2007, 04:26 PM

Well - those are the only ones I use regularly.

I dont have your collection of 100 tools

I will look at the hidden powers ones, but I don't use them very often.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
I am less worried about those than the 100 other tools. When you say things work...
Well testing the 100 tools takes a lot of time... I have tested all power separations and most power masking as well as custom black and white. Everything works up to now. Are there any other tools you would like me to beta-test for PSE6?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlowrey View Post
Well - those are the only ones I use regularly.

I dont have your collection of 100 tools

I will look at the hidden powers ones, but I don't use them very often.
It looks like the other Hidden Powers tools work with Photoshop Elements 6 as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2007, 07:33 AM

Please be specific as to versions and what tools you are talking about. I have not released the 100 tool set for Elements 5 yet, and it is highly doubtful that these work the same way or without modification -- in fact they CAN'T work without modification. If they did, i'd have released them already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 AM

I tested the free Hidden Powers tools for PSE 5:
color Picker
component (red/blue/green)
Layer mask
Luminosity & Color
Mask highlights
mask shadows
simple channel mixer
transform selection
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
Please be specific as to versions and what tools you are talking about. I have not released the 100 tool set for Elements 5 yet, and it is highly doubtful that these work the same way or without modification -- in fact they CAN'T work without modification. If they did, i'd have released them already.
I have tested the following parts of the 100 tools set for PSE4 in the English version of PSE6, with Windows XP: power selections, power masking and custom B&W. My versions of PSE4 and PSE5 are French, which explains a few tools do not work in thoses versions: for example luminosity and color (they work separately). Next ones to be tested: color correction.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support