RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Hidden Power PE2 Mac OS X tiger, install problems

Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 AM

Exclamation Hidden Power PE2 Mac OS X tiger, install problems

SPEC:

Macbook (Intel version)

Adobe PE 2 - works fine

Also present a Windows Partition with A PE2 on it.

Hi,

I have just got the Richard Lynch's book off amazon, and am working my way through it. I want to install the Hidden Power Tools but I can't. I'll bet they'll install on the windows partition, but I use OS X by choice and thats where I want to install them. (Just checked, they do install on the windows side).

On OSX the installer does not ask which folder to use despite me making another Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 folder on the desktop (And it can see the Windows one in the other partition possibly).

After putting the password in it just sits there with the spinning disc. I waited 15 minutes and then used CMD OPT ESC to force quit - and it was marked as not responding.

I tried to make a disc image as that was one method I read that worked - installing from the image. However Disk Utility reported a fault when trying to make the image, possibly suggesting a problem with the disc, which is new and unmarked. My guess is that the installation wasn't designed (couldn't have been in fact) for OS X Tiger, and that this is a problem? OR, that the intel version hardware is causing a problem, OR the presence of the other partition (which I am not removing - I need it).

Has anyone had similar problems and solved them? If not I guess I might have to ask Richard if I can get a manual installer from him. Or use Windows (sigh). - all my pics are on the OSX partition though.

Hopefully...

Dave Holbrook
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 AM

Re: Hidden Power PE2 Mac OS X tiger, install probl

I am a Mac user and create tool installers for both mac and PC, and you will find both on the disk. Actually (it has been a while since I've looked at Elements 2) I believe the disk is biplatform. If you can run the installer (which may be an issue), it will search your drives for a good place to install. What may be an issue (and these are outlined in the troubleshooting area of the hiddenelements.com site) is that the search of the drives can take a considerable amount of time if you are hooked to the internet. There also may be OS compatibility issues with the installer which was built long before OSX 10.4. If you run a PC partition, you can install to a blank directory (e.g., temporarily rename the Elements program folder and run the PC installer again), and you will get all the files. You just have to carefully move them to like areas on the Mac in the elements directories.

Another good solution is updating to Elements 4 and getting the Elements 4 book, which in my opinion is eons better.

Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks Richard,

I have tried everything mentioned in troubleshooting - Its just not going to work directly on the Mac unfortunately. However I have installed easily on the Windows partition and I copied the files over from the Recipes folder. This worked in that I can see the Hidden Power menus now, but unfortunately I have not copied all the files that are needed for some reason as they don't actually work?

I agree its a good idea to upgrade, I think I will work through the book and then get PE4 and the book for 4. Temporarily I can use the windows partition anyway even if I don't get the installation to work on the mac. I will try re-installing PE2, I read that someone with a similar problem did that and it worked. (I've been turning off airport so it can't see the 'net also).

regards

Dave Holbrook
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM

I thought I would let you know - its all installed now. I found the missing files that I didn't copy over (in the Presets folder). It all works now.

Cheers

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 AM

Glad it works, because as someone on a Mac who uses them in Elements 2 (and did up until getting a G5 in December), I would be surprised if they worked on my machine and not elsewhere ;-)

Happy to hear you are up and running.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support