RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Installing actions in PSE 6 for the Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 AM

Installing actions in PSE 6 for the Mac

I have figured out how to install actions in Photoshop Elements for the Mac. Instructions are found in the attached PDF file.

Please let me know of any errors or lack of clarity.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf actions in PSE 6.pdf (81.8 KB, 448 views)
Old 04-06-2008, 01:29 PM

Re: Installing actions in PSE 6 for the Mac

I'm confused. I'm running Photoshop Elements 6 on an iMac with macOS10.5.2. I can find none of the files referenced in the pdf on installing Actions. No 'photo creations/photo effects'. No "locale/en_us/photo creations metadata....' No 'mediadatabase/db3' No 'thumbdatabase.db3. The only folder I have in user/library/adobe/adobephotoshop elements 6 is "presets'. Has anyone been able to install the free tools on a mac running leopard?
thanks-Rob
Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 PM

You don't want the USER library folder, you want the main library folder on your hard drive. Double click on the startup disk icon on the desktop, and open up the Library folder there and go digging!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 AM

1.mymac/library/application support/adobe--nothing else.2. mymac/system/library/"60 folders from automater to widget resources,but no adobe 3. spotlight searches fail to find mediadatabase.db3, photocreations,locale/en_US,thumbdatabase.db3,any .atn files,png files, or .db3 files. I don't know where else to dig.
thanks again-
edit-there was a permissions problem with the adobe file-I can find all those folders now. I think
Rob

Last edited by retrojet; 04-07-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: solved problem
Old 04-07-2008, 02:45 PM

If I were you, I'd uninstall and reinstall PSE 6. One uninstalls using the same installer as when one installs. It's just an option there somewhere. Something doesn't seem right about how things got installed the first time.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 AM

Camner,
Perhaps you see why I delay release; it is not an easy thing to support the tools. But looking at the instructions you have here is there much different from the instruction I already provide? I work on a Mac as my main workstation.

Retro,
Camner makes the assumption you have action files to use, and/or that Elements is installed. In any case, the path Camner suggests:

[your system drive]>Library>etc.

Should be on your machine if you are logging in with the admin priv and have full access to the files -- so long as Elements is installed. Is it?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Richard-my problem was that adobe folder under app support was somehow locked permission wise. All is now well and the freebies are installed in my pse 6.0. Thanks to you and Camner.
Rob
Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Glad to hear you got them working. I keep hoping to have some time to get together some exciting new tools and the standard tool set...just too darned busy!

i knew you'd get it running.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
Camner,
Perhaps you see why I delay release; it is not an easy thing to support the tools. But looking at the instructions you have here is there much different from the instruction I already provide? I work on a Mac as my main workstation.
Richard, Tony Gander's post in this thread (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/hid...tool-beta.html) indicated that your instructions were for Windows, so I thought I'd help out by posting instructions for the Mac. My apologies if I gummed up the works in any way.

On a related subject, I sent you and email a while back to get the 6.0 beta tools, and haven't heard back from you. About a year ago you and I had some problems with our respective spam filters and struggled a bit to find a way to actually get in touch with one another (we had no problems through the Betterphoto site when I signed up and took a wonderful course there!).

Did you not get my email (I sent it to your betterphoto email address)? If not, I'd be happy to send it again for you to reply to with the beta. Or, I suppose you could PM me here at RetouchPro.

As always, I appreciate the efforts you make to support those of us in the PSE community with wonderful tools and your helpful support.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 AM

If you need the 6.0 tools, please send an email:

thebookdoc@aol.com

I have no spam filtering, but the converse happens where I sometimes lose mail in the spam now...

SO, use your Subject:

Elements 6.0 Tools

OK?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 AM

I just sent an email to the address listed, with exactly that subject!

Thanks...hopefully it will get through.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:50 AM

You should have it now.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 PM

I do, indeed! Thank you!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Hi -

I may be missing something obvious, so apologies in advance...

I can follow the instructions posted above for installing actions in PE 6 on my Macbook, but I ran into a major stumbling block before I even got started.

I'll be transferring the actions files from my old copy of Photoshop 7 on my iBook, but where are they located? I opened PS and noted the names of a few of the actions, but couldn't locate them in any of my PS support folders.

There are some files (not folders) that appear to be likely suspects, but they look to be proprietary files that contain the information for multiple actions, not just the one action I might be interested in moving to Elements.

Can someone straighten me out?

Dave
Old 04-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Try Adobe Photoshop 7/Presets/Photoshop Actions and see if they're in there. There are SOME actions in there, I know.

Alternatively, try creating and saving a new action in PS7 and then use Spotlight to go hunting for it.

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support