RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

upgrade from Elements 3 to Photoshop Elements 6?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 AM

upgrade from Elements 3 to Photoshop Elements 6?

Hi all,

I have been using PSE 3 with the Hidden Powertools (and the excellent book) for quite some time now, but I am wondering whether it would be worth it to upgrade to PSE 6.

My main interest would be the more advanced editing functions, and as most improvements in the newer versions seem to be in the album and web publishing and gimmicks depts I wonder if it's really worth it.

Have the 16 bit capabilities been expanded? Would I lose much of the hidden powertools functionality with some of them not being available yet for PSE6?

Or would I be better of with another program altogether (apart from the 'full' Photoshop, which I cannot afford) such as Corel Paint Shop Pro?

At the moment, Adobe does not allow trial downloads because of a bug in the trial duration routines...and only Richard and current PSE6 HPT users can answer about those...

Hope some can help me decide,
Thanks,
Martijn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Re: upgrade from Elements 3 to Photoshop Elements

Please, please bother me about the updates. I can get Elements 6 working but there is so little interest that I can't spare the time (and I've been quite busy recently, and now am writing a book and course). BUT I have actually taken a few steps to get the web pages updated this past weekend...

I have so much I can do for Elements...I just hope to see more interest and that can be tres motivating!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 PM

About 16 bits editing, Richard Lynch has already given his opinion:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/hid...it-images.html
There is still no support for 16 bits with layers in PSE6, and I am convinced this is not going to happen...
I really consider PSE6 is a worthwile improvement over PSE4 and PSE5. (I skipped version 3). This is because I shoot mostly raw, and the latest version of ACR (4.xx) is very powerful, even if it lacks a lot of features found in the CS3 version. Otherwise, PSE6 users appreciate the improved selection features, photomerge, simple curve, black and white conversions and more. Many don't like the dark interface 'à la Lightroom'.
I am always watching for what Richard can offer us...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks guys,

Richard, bit of a catch-22 situation here I guess-I don't think PSE6 without your tools would be enough for me, but without enough interest-not just from me-, the tools might not become available?

BTW I'm surprised that interest in these excellent tools has declined apparently, perhaps it is because the books aren't available in print form anymore-to attract PSE users who aren't aware of these tools...

For now, I think I'll just stick with PSE 3 as stuff like photomerge and doesn't appeal to me...

I will keep looking out for developments though!

Martijn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 PM

what tools specifically.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
what tools specifically.
Hi Richard,

Sorry for being so late in answering...
Color/luminosity separations, Blend Mask, Curves and Color Balance are the tools that I use most. From what I have read the curves implementation in PSE 6 is incomplete and not as convenient as the full-blown PS/Hidden Tools one.

Regarding PSE6 itself, I don't think I would mind the dark interface. However, I'm still not sure whether PSE6 has enough to offer over PSE3-with HPT- for me to upgrade...I do basic RAW conversions in Canon's own DPP program, followed by PSE3 for USM sharpening (DPP's sharpening produces horrible results) and local changes, so I probably would not use PSE6's cutdown ACR.

Apart from that (but this probably falls outside of the Hidden Tools realm), I am looking for a chromatic abberation/purple fringing removal tool.

Martijn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM

I hope to come out with parts of the package...I just need thee time to do it. Regretfully I am pretty busy...Have you got the free set? If not, send me an email.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
I hope to come out with parts of the package...I just need thee time to do it. Regretfully I am pretty busy...Have you got the free set? If not, send me an email.
Hi Richard,

I do not have the free set yet, and I do not have PSE6 itself yet. But I will emailed you, I want to try out PSE6 when Adobe makes it available again next week (July 1st).

Thanks, Martijn
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 02:35 PM

I personally liked the upgrade to PSE 6 (I'm on a Mac). I don't use the "gimmicky" stuff, but I just like the interface better (and I like the grey "Lightroom-style" background, though I don't like the fact that I can't resize the window the way I want!). If money were tight, I wouldn't hesitate to stay with PSE 3 or 4 (5 never came out for the Mac, so I can't speak to it!).

For Mac users, PSE 6 has the distinct advantage of being native for Intel rather than PPC, which means a nice speed boost!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 AM

Regretfully I think it is mostly the 'gimmicky' stuff that Adobe is adding to the product. Adobe thinks that Elements is being marketed to people who want push-button fixes so they add push-button tools. I guess that is part of the way they define elements from Photoshop, and the other is 16-bit layers (and all the specialty stuff (3D manipulation, medical imaging, CMYK, etc.). I don't know that there is a lot they've added since version 3 that is imperative for image editing. I actually DO like the actions interface better and it is more reliable. I like the darker interface as Camner said. Things work a little differently and there are tools I may never put out for Elements 3 that will come out for 6, and actually there are more tools in the base set for 4 (I think I jumped from 60 to 100 tools in version 4). I plan on working with that today -- so lets see if I get it all done ;-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support