RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Dynamic image and cheek lightening

Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Re: Dynamic image and cheek lightening

I keep wondering how these conversations get on without my getting notified...

Camner, The DI tool does not discriminate against or for particular image areas. Cheeks you have noticed because of the way they will catch light. When the dynamic range of the image is increased, the whole dynamic range is affected...and contrast on the face increases. if you don't want to have it as strong, you can back off the correction with use of layers and opacity and masking.

Blend If is really not a hand's-on Elements tool, but I have some Blend If functions for elements that I plan to release shortly. You will not be able to adjust sliders for it but ranges based on presets. However if you are looking for the Blend If feature in Elements, you are SOL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Whatever "dynamic image" is, its doing some very nasty things to that image. A simple Curves treatment, perhaps luminosity blended, would do a much better job
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks all for the comments. Perhaps masking is the best way to go. Dynamic Image really makes images "pop" (particularly outdoor images), but doesn't work as well with flash, because by increasing the dynamic range it can wash out faces.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Whatever "dynamic image" is, its doing some very nasty things to that image. A simple Curves treatment, perhaps luminosity blended, would do a much better job
Markawhatever...first, you don't know what you are talking about as you don't know what it is...and second you also don't know what Elements does, apparently, from your comments. Please comment when you know what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM

by the way, Curves are something I rarely use, quite on purpose and quite for a good reason. Most people who praise them overuse them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 PM

I have found Dynamic Image to be the absolutely the best "quick fix" for almost all images. Of course, it isn't perfect, and taking the time to individually correct images is better.

My photography is pretty much "chronicle vacations and trips" type shoots. I'm more interested in "telling the story" than anything else. I can't realistically take the time to "make perfect" over 200 pictures of Ecuador, for example. I take the time to do so with a few, and then the rest need quick fixes: crops for composition, color correction, etc. Dynamic Image adds a quick "punch" for pix like this. Well worth the few minutes it takes.

Like anything else, it is not difficult to get lousy results by using the tool poorly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
I have found Dynamic Image to be the absolutely the best "quick fix" for almost all images. Of course, it isn't perfect, and taking the time to individually correct images is better.
DI was made to walk you through corrections of an image and it is a custom result...in other words the images ARE corrected individually. That the process is ordered and standardized does not mean it is 'automated' where a program tries to make the corrections for you. That is why I have you choose settings...I do not like automated correction, and wouldn't sell something that supposed to do it.

Having set steps which are prompted just speeds you through what could otherwise be a manual process. You may still have additional spot corrections to make...it would be quite a procedure that would pick out the local issues for you and correct those as well. My guess is that such a thing cannot exist ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2008, 03:50 PM

Richard--thanks for the clarification, to which I will add:

Dynamic Image is NOT a 1-button "quick fix" a la "Auto Smart Fix" or other similar methods. I NEVER use those, because they always fail in one way or another.

When I'm working on an image, I decide quickly whether I want to spend 5-10 minutes on it or much more. If the former, I do some quick things, including color correction, cropping for composition, and obvious touch up (removing skin blemishes,etc.). I end with Dynamic Image. DI absolutely does require me to use judgment....at every step of the way.

My question about DI was that I've noticed that areas of a face that are bright to begin with (due to flash or to sunlight), get "over brightened". I'm not blaming DI for this....I just need to figure out how to correct for the issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 PM

brighter areas of an image will get brighter...darker areas get darker... If you need to make a selective correction in that the highlights get too hot, you need to mask the change. that is a selective change that Elements will allow you to make, but not as part of a process...as that would be inconsistent and silly.

OK?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2008, 11:26 PM

I'm not a real ace at masking. I understand the concept, but am not very proficient at it.

One option would be to simply have DI work only on the non-faces and use the original faces. The way I did this was to duplicate the background layer, add a Layer Mask (using your nice tool!), mask out the faces, then run DI. That seemed to work. Is there a better way?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support