RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Dynamic image and cheek lightening

Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 AM

Dynamic image and cheek lightening

I've been using Dynamic Image for a number of years, and I absolutely love it!

I've noticed that it does some strange things with cheeks, particularly with a flash, but even without. I'm attaching 2 photos, one unretouched, and the other only has been adjusted through Dynamic Image. Notice how the cheeks become lighter. With a flash, they often look all but blown out.

In this example, the effect is a bit subtle, but the cheeks right below the eyes seem almost a uniform color in the original and then lighten considerably in the "treated" version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_07_nw_nieces_trip_176before.jpg (78.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_07_nw_nieces_trip_176after.jpg (70.2 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 01:44 AM

Re: Dynamic image and cheek lightening

Dont know how your using the dynamic range... but if you do it on a new layer, you can use the blend if sliders to mask out the light areas. This should fix your problem.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Camner,
The default settings of the setup created by the Dynamic tool are meant to add 'pop' to a dull image, which is not the case here. You are adding too much contrast as a whole, so I would recommend decreasing the opacity of the 'adjust highlights' adjustment layer, and possibly paint on its mask to protect areas like cheeks. I hope Richard can give you better advice...

Keven,
The dynamic tool is for Elements which has no 'blend if' option. It creates a setup of 7 adjustment layers with masks to deal separately with highlights, midtones, shadows, saturation and local contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 02:28 PM

I'm just following the instructions provided by the action...it's pretty clear, actually. The only place I deviate is in the first two parts, where one drags the middle slider to the left and then right edges of where the histogram is populated; I've found that no matter where the histogram peters out, it's best not to move the slider too far to the left or right.

I'll try the blend...the only downside I see of that is that it's only in a small area (cheeks and faces in general with flash) that I would need to do the blending, and if I blend the entire layer I'll lose some of the benefit of the wonderful effect that Dynamic Image has!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Just to show you what it could do.... Here is your thumbnail picture with the blend if applyed.

But Dynamic Image sounds to be a very interesting and usufull. I'll look it up. Im using CS4, maybe they have a version...

-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blenf-if-example.jpg (96.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 12-14-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel B View Post
Camner,
The default settings of the setup created by the Dynamic tool are meant to add 'pop' to a dull image, which is not the case here. You are adding too much contrast as a whole, so I would recommend decreasing the opacity of the 'adjust highlights' adjustment layer, and possibly paint on its mask to protect areas like cheeks. I hope Richard can give you better advice...
This probably isn't the best example I have. I was fooling around with another plugin before I applied Dynamic Image, one which increases contrast, just to see what it looks like. I was particularly interested in what increasing contrast did to the ocean...it makes it more detailed, which is nice. The cheek problem occurs without the other plugin...I just quickly grabbed a recent pic I was working on. I can try to find a better example that has ONLY Dynamic Image applied.

Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
Just to show you what it could do.... Here is your thumbnail picture with the blend if applyed.

But Dynamic Image sounds to be a very interesting and usufull. I'll look it up. Im using CS4, maybe they have a version...

-Keven
I guess I don't know what a "blend if" slider is. I'm using Photoshop Elements 6, not CS3 or CS4. Can you tell me what the slider does, and perhaps there is a functional equivalent in PSE 6.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 AM

When you double click on a layer, or right click and click blending options/layer properties it will give you a window that has the blending modes and the blend if settings. There will be some sliders at the bottom (circled in red) and you can adjust them to taste.

The sliders basically means blend this layer at this level of brightness or darkness. And when the slider is separated is mean gradually blend from starting point to end point. To sepperate the sliders, ALT click the slider and to put them back together just push them together.

In the below picture, it shows the 189/223. This means when a brightness value is 189-223 it gradually fade the effect. Then the brightness values from 224-255 will be ignored or unaffected.

There is a video HERE that describes the blend if.

Hope this helps,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blend-if-screen-shoot.jpg (96.7 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2008, 02:46 AM

All blend if is doing is masking out specifically certain brightness levels, and doing a gradient in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel B View Post
paint on its mask to protect areas like cheeks.
In the mask, just paint black to hide (use a soft brush).

Another thing you could do is do the effect on a duplicate layer and erase the bad parts to reveal the background. Use a soft brush with the eraser so you don’t get harsh lines.

The picture below shows the areas that the blend if masked. I put a green layer under so you could more easily see what was affected. Normally it would just be shown as see through

-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blend-if-ex-2.jpg (94.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 12-15-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

I'm uploading here a better example of what I'm talking about. Notice how the entire face is way too bright in the "after" image. That's just using Dynamic Image in the "stock" manner. I find that Dynamic Image does a great job on shots without flash, and does a great job on flash shots, except for lighter parts of the face. I'm wondering if there is a way to use DI on faces with flash shots without this effect....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_07_nw_nieces_trip_245before.jpg (56.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_07_nw_nieces_trip_245after.jpg (77.8 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support