RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

How does 'shape from selection' work?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:25 PM

How does 'shape from selection' work?

I am trying to figure out how the hidden power tool 'shape from selection' works. I have the hidden power 2 book, and wanted very much to create a shape as described in page 201 of that book. The chapter called 'creating scalable vector art'. I now have elements 3, and could not install the old Elements 2 power tools cd, so I just paid for and downloaded the hidden power tools 3 set. It looks like it installed correctly, but it doesn't seem to do much. I had expected to see a shape show up in the custom shape grid that I could use. When I click on the button, it creates a new layer, and has me choose a new color for it, and that's it. It doesn't seem to do anything else.

Has someone used this capability? Can you provide more complete instructions or help me figure out what I am doing wrong?

thanks,
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Re: How does 'shape from selection' work?

In Photoshop proper you have to select the shape (black arrow tool) and choose Edit>Define Custom shape.
I'm not sure about elements, but in PS you can have it create a work path instead of a shape layer, then Define a custom shape from the work path.

Cheers,
Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 08:02 PM

Never mind, upon rereading the section I see that it doesn't quite seem to do what I expected, but I can copy the shapes
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 AM

"I had expected to see a shape show up in the custom shape grid that I could use. When I click on the button, it creates a new layer, and has me choose a new color for it, and that's it. It doesn't seem to do anything else."

Well, that isn't right. This has nothing to do with the Custom Shapes. It is a far more sophisticated tool that lets you make ANY selection into a path. In other words, you can immediately create custom paths from a selection...any selection. If you are ignoring the instructions and not creating a selection first, nothing will happen except a new layer will be created to store the shape that won't be created because there is no selection.

You may want to read the entire chapter on paths and vectors so that you see what all this does in context. The main use is probably for clipping paths and vector art.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support