RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Decrack Action

Old 07-11-2003, 01:16 PM

Whoops...I changed the download file, which has been updated. I can't say exactly what I was thinking -- but I think I got confused as to whether I was working in Elements or Photoshop. The two are just about the same to me. In other words, I have the feeling I played back the name-changed action in Photoshop to check it, even though I added it to Elements.

Susan was right, pretty much exactly. There are other ways to re-arrange the steps.

The line you paste in to the HTML is this:

<a href="playaction(decrack.atn,decrack)"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2">Decrack</font></a>

I'll repost the file here too...but I can't without another name.

HOWEVER, I am also not so happy with the result. This type of correction is NOT the type of thing I like to automate, and I think this can potentially do more damage than good -- It may work on a dark B&W image, but not one with heavy JPEG and probably other anomalies. It also might play fast and loose with a lot of detail. Any time a procedure has to make an artistic judgement, I'd have my doubts about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2003, 02:25 PM

decrack action

Richard,
The new version works properly. I ran it on the tutorial photo from the decrack action instructions and it did an excellent job. However all the photos that I wish to correct are scanned and the cracks are darker than the surrounding photo. I tried this action on a scanned photo with dark cracks and it only made the cracks worse. The problem is not your conversion, but the action just does not seem to relate to my real world needs. Oh well, back to the clone tool. Thanks for the effort and it may come in handy someday. Thanks again. CaseyJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2003, 03:54 PM

This action will tend to darken light areas along edges...which is fine for light cracks and white dust, but not so helpful for the opposite -- and can make those situations worse. Like I said, this isn't the type of correction I like to make in bulk. I'm of the opinion that even the healing tool may wrest too much control from an experienced user -- no matter how dramatic the result might be in specific cases. To prove to yourself the decrack is NOT a cure all, just run it on a perfectly good image...when it changes things that are already correct, that should tell you something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2003, 07:27 PM

CaseyJ,

There was a step in the original decrack action that photoshop users could enable to handle the dark crack case. That's not an option for use PSE users.

Richard,

I agree with your assessment. I would never run this action on a perfectly good image. Just for fun, I created a before and after layer so I could toggle the "after" on and off to see the differences and there are noticible differences in the "non-cracked" areas. However, for badly cracked images, I might use this in the gentle settings to close up some of the fine cracks and then finish up manually. But, I would want to look at this carefully to see if I can accept the degradation that's introduced on that particular image. I guess that would be similar to making a decision to use the dust and scratches filter to speed up cleanup (I usually don't).

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2004, 03:41 PM

Question Installing DeCrack?

I am trying to install the DeCrack action and when I unzip, there is no read me to tell me specifics on how install properly. Can somebody give me a short tutorial??
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2004, 06:47 PM

WB:

Welcome. I'll hold down the fort until the real Elements' experts arrive. (Photoshop's my bag, but I'm aware of Elements' under-the-covers action capabilities.)

You've installed the Hidden Powers of Photoshop Elements actions add-on, right? Seems to me when I read over the installation instructions it included steps on how to install additional actions in the future.

That would be the first place to look.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2004, 08:52 PM

Decrack action - Loading problem?

I added the html code so I could run decrack from inside photoshop elements, but when I click on it the program cannot seem to find it. The play action code that I added was as follows:
-----------------------------
<a href="playaction(Decrack.atn, decrack)">

------------------------------
is decrack the correct second parameter?

do I need to add the file to a specific directory such as Photoshop Actions, because I did and it still could not seem to find my file.

More help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2004, 09:15 PM

WB

try decrack.atn,decrack Elements doesn't like capital letters or spaces.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2004, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_slone
WB

try decrack.atn,decrack Elements doesn't like capital letters or spaces.
I don't have this one installed any more, but that is correct - the name of the action file is decrack.atn, lower case D not upper case. As Mike says Elements actions need to be named with lowercase letters - although in fact the .atn file name can start with an upper case letter, it's safer to get into the habit of naming everything with lower case for Elements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2004, 07:16 PM

Question Still having problems after changing to lower case

I have tried as you all suggested and still am having problems. Can you give me the root structure for what I am trying to do. I am trying to put this action into the Photo Effects Folder. So, where do I put the decrack.atn file and where do I put the decrack.atn,decrack pointer???
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support