RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Decrack Action

Old 03-27-2003, 10:33 AM

Decrack Action

Richard;
Would it be possible for you to convert the "decrack" action, which is available on this site, so that it will work in Elements. I would greatly appreciate it as it looks very promising in restoring old photos. Thanks, CaseyJ

http://www.retouchpro.com/tutorials/decrack/index.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2003, 08:16 AM

Don't know how I missed this request. I made the conversion and there seemed nothing to adjust. I'd be interested in hearing about results!

To install into Hidden Power Actions, you'll want to follow the instructions in the advanced.rtf. I can add this to a set later when I have enough requests. Regretfully, easy requests are few and far between...

The original action is by Tim Edwards. Find it attached with just the file names changed.

If anyone is interested in helping to convert actions for Elements and Hidden Power Actions, please let me know!
Attached Files
File Type: zip decrack.zip (1.5 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by Richard_Lynch; 07-11-2003 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2003, 09:05 AM

Decrack Action

Thanks Richard. I will download this action tonight when I get home from work. I will try it out when I get a chance and let you know the results. CaseyJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2003, 02:48 PM

Decrack Action???

Richard,
I downloaded the decrack action and installed it. I decided to make sure it was correctly installed by running it on an image. It started properly and ran the highpass filter allowing me to set the strength. After I clicked OK to the highpass filter, I got the following dialog boxes in this order.
The command "make" is not currently available. Continue.
The command "set" is not currently available. Continue.
The command "select" is not currently available. Continue.
The command "delete" is not currently available. Continue.
Final result was a new layer and the image with edges selected with marching ants.
Am I doing something wrong? I tried both on the background layer as well as a layer copy. CaseyJ

Dialogboxes
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2003, 03:12 PM

Did you have an image open at the time?

If so, was it in a color mode that is not compatible with layers?

If not, can you please describe the image you were using?

I ran this successfully. The errors you are getting are based on Elements not being able to perform an action because it is not one that Elements will perform on a specific image. Once the action fails at a step to create something like a new layer, a latter command that selects the layer previous will also fail, for example.

Let me know if that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2003, 04:01 PM

Decrack Action???

Richard.
I first tried the action on a RGB color JPG image, one of the sample images that came with MS XP. I have since tried it with grayscale and RGB images in JPG and PSD. See the screenshot of the results of running the action on the first JPG image in RGB color with 84KB of information. CaseyJ

ResultingImage
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2003, 12:15 AM

Unhappy

Richard,

I tried the decrack action and had exactly the same results as CaseyJ. I'm using PSE 2.0 on Windows XP.

I used the same image as the tutorial for decrack: http://www.retouchpro.com/tutorials/decrack/index.html

The image mode was RGB.

When running the decrack action, the history palette shows the following steps up to the first error message:

New Layer, Paste, Duplicate Layer, Remove Color, High Pass, Solarize, Auto Levels, Median, Brightness/Contrast, Load Selection, Select Inverse, Delete Layer.

Pressing "continue" adds no steps to the history palette until the very last message when "Minimum" is added to the history palette (it's added before displaying the message).

Hope this helps you to identify the problem.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2003, 12:49 AM

Richard,

Played with decrack a bit more. Tried setting playback to stop and pause. Everything seems to be working at each step until the problem occurs. I also went back with the history palette and each intermediate step looks good.

I don't have full Photoshop so I can't view the action but I looked at a dump of the file and it looks like there should be an "Expand" just prior to the "delete layer". That doesn't seem to be showing up. I'll let you worry about cause and effect. I do hope you get this working. If it works decently, I have a use for it.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2003, 02:21 AM

Richard - same result for me running OS10.1.5 on the mac.(And HPA3, not that that should make any difference!) I used the same image as Bob did. The expand step is working OK for me, it's the make step that the error comes up on that is the problem- it's one of those things that Elements doesn't do directly, and I'm not full-version photoshop literate enough to fully interpret the step myself - it's wanting to make:new channel, at: mask channel; reveal selection(=using the selection to generate a layer mask?). As no mask is created the following steps fail.
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2003, 03:24 AM

Well I think i've rejigged the action to work - I've got a couple of tests to check that it gives the same mask as the original but the results look pretty similar to the tutorial that Bob linked to - the undo history in PS6 proved that what the problem step was, was indeed adding a layer mask revealing the current selection. I replaced this step with a couple of steps: reveal all layer mask (which Elements can handle), activated ithe mask with the selection in place and filled the mask with 50 per cent grey (which seems to give the same or very similar result). The last couple of steps also seemed to result in errors. I think just replacing them with deselect will give the same result. People coming round for dinner in ten minutes so I'll post a tested version tomorow if Richard thinks that what I've done makes sense. I'm sure he can come up with something more elegant!

Susan S
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support