RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Bud and Ling's Package

Old 03-24-2003, 09:49 PM

Bud's 4 Pack for HPAII

I've finished up installers for Bud Guinn's frame actions. These sets are different than those included in the HPA II installer, and come in 4 sets. They are mostly matte frames but the ovals are in the sets as well.

Get the PC installer here:
http://hiddenelements.com/files/buds4packpc.zip

Get the MAC installer here:
http://hiddenelements.com/files/buds4packmac.zip

You have to unzip the package and then run the installer. After installation, you will need to rename and move the action folders you want to use according to instructions provided with HPA II, and with this package. I couldn't install directly without risking over-writing customizations you may have completed.

These work with Hidden Power Actions II FREE interface, which can be downloaded from http://hiddenelements.com

I have tested here, but have not broadly announced this as I don't currently have beta testers. Please let me know how the installation goes.

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2003, 09:53 PM

Bud's 4 Pack for HPA2

I've finished up installers for Bud Guinn's frame actions. These sets are different than those included in the HPA II installer, and come in 4 sets. They are mostly matte frames but the ovals are in the sets as well.

Get the PC installer here:
http://hiddenelements.com/files/buds4packpc.zip

Get the MAC installer here:
http://hiddenelements.com/files/buds4packmac.zip

You have to unzip the package and then run the installer. After installation, you will need to rename and move the action folders you want to use according to instructions provided with HPA II, and with this package. I couldn't install directly without risking over-writing customizations you may have completed.

These work with Hidden Power Actions II FREE interface, which can be downloaded from http://hiddenelements.com

I have tested here, but have not broadly announced this as I don't currently have beta testers. Please let me know how the installation goes.

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2003, 11:53 PM

Richard - the installer works perfectly (Mac OS10.1.5) and sets 3 and 4 are OK, but there are typos in the index.HTML files for sets five and six. The reference should be to buds_extra_5.atn, buds_extra_6.atn in the code, but instead it reads buds_extras_5.atn, buds_extras_6.atn, and so it can' t find the relevant action file. I've edited my version to fix this, and all the actions I've tested now worked fine. I guess that's what beta testers are for!

Btw - anyone who has Elements and is interested in modifying/examining actions but doesn't want to shell out for the full version of photoshop - the demo of photoshop 6 (at least the Mac version) allows you to examine actions, and even(it appears) save them - although I haven't got as far as working out how to write anything worth saving yet!..it also allows creation and saving of layer styles that can then be used in Elements. The demo is supposed to be save disabled, but the nice people at Adobe only disabled the saving of image files, not the other things that can be saved. (The PS7 demo is time limited rather than save disabled, but would still be useful for one month's worth of action creation!)
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2003, 06:36 AM

Susan,

Thanks for being the guinea pig -- oh, I mean: testing. I know the value of testers, it is just hard to find them when you need them -- especially for freeware. It is free to everyone but that guy on the Adobe forum, apparently.

I've fixed that problem and reposted the installers to the same links. I'll wait a day and put up on my website. If anyone encounters other problems, let me know.

Susan -- the PS6 mention is a great idea! I'd be glad to see stuff that people come up with and would be very happy to post HPA II compatible sets or link to them from my site.

I'm thinking about another enhancement to the action interface...anyone need MORE actions? I was considering an enhancement to run say 6 categories: text, Photo, artistic, frames, and 2 categories to be named...I am accepting name suggestions. It could be Other for one of those. The enhancement would allow you to have some 504 actions installed, 84 in each category. It would also install over whatever enhancements you've made without trouble.

Looking for opinions on that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2003, 04:28 PM

Richard - the other popular category of actions on the other forum I frequent (Diginuts) are the actions in Bud's package that do the "artistic" photoeffects (Hayes Island cafe etc). Some of the Element using members of that forum are a little nervous about installing Bud and Ling's package as they are not confident of copying files around, so I am sure that an easy to run installer that includes those actions would be welcomed.

Having more actions available without swapping around files would be useful - at the moment I have half of Bud's actions on your interface and use the remaining ones on his to avoid having to swap around the action set folders. If I ever master the art of writing actions myself then I'll have even more to use! So my answer is yes please!
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2003, 09:44 AM

Susan a question

Did Richard's new release overwrite any of your previous installs of Bud's interface or actions?

chuck
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2003, 10:05 AM

Chuck,

I can't answer for testers, but the installer does 2 things to avoid that:

1) installs to an Inactive Sets folder so none of the files should be overwritten for the interface.

2) installs renamed action sets so none of the actions should be altered (and run independently).

If you install I'd be glad to hear the result. I've not heard anyone complain that things are over-written.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2003, 06:27 PM

Chuck - no overwriting occurred -as Richard said he set up the installer in a way that avoids that. I've still got both running happily together
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2003, 09:05 PM

New Edge Effects for Elements Users

I just posted a new set of Edge effects actions for Photoshop Elements Users. Mac and pc.

you can get them here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...7589#post47589

I hope they are helpful,

budguinn@charter.net

If you have problems or comments please email me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support