RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Bud and Ling's Package

Old 03-19-2003, 01:26 PM

New actions

Is there any way to get Bud Guinns new actions to work with the Hidden Powers interface? They are really wonderful and I'd love to be able to use them. Richard or anyone else know how to load them?

Last edited by Richard_Lynch; 03-29-2003 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2003, 09:17 AM

Ling and Bud's package

Is this package going to conflict with your tools?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2003, 02:14 PM

While I hate to go on assumption, I believe it will. I have created a package which will not overwrite or conflict with my own files...For some reason they insist on working with a solution that I have repeatedly told them will cause trouble.

I will try and got to it tonight and see if I can make a compatible installer from what they have. If they would just work with me, rather than against (it isn't hard, I play well with others), these questions wouldn't come up...I'd also be able to quickly create installers for Mac and PC -- and would come out with things more quickly with their help. I've tried to coax them...anyone want to volunteer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2003, 05:25 PM

It is possible to get both Richard's action player/Hidden elements tools and Bud and Ling's package to work together - I've got them both in the Recipes menu. (I tried because I wasn't in the mood to redo Bud's new actions into Richard's format - too tired to do fiddly cutting and pasting!) However, you need to be careful which order you do install things in and what you call the html files, as otherwise the html files that you need for one package over-write the other. To avoid lots of reinstalling I duplicated the key html files from both packages and renamed them and then spent five minutes playing around to give me a set of html files that actually worked with both sets of Action players available. (not hard to do if you know which file calls on which other file) Of course that actually has a lot of duplication of stuff, and it would be much nicer if there was a single player that we could use for alll the actions without having to worry about hacking an install. I prefer Richard's interface - it's a lot more flexible.
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2003, 07:31 PM

I've just found Ling Nero's website - it has the other action's in Bud's set done as Action sets for Richard's interface - she doesn't seem to have got to Bud's new actions yet though. http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/PE2stuff.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2003, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Susan S.
It is possible to get both Richard's action player/Hidden elements tools and Bud and Ling's package to work together - I've got them both in the Recipes menu. (I tried because I wasn't in the mood to redo Bud's new actions into Richard's format - too tired to do fiddly cutting and pasting!) However, you need to be careful which order you do install things in and what you call the html files, as otherwise the html files that you need for one package over-write the other. Susan S.

Hello all,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I've been hiding in the sun at the beach for a couple of days.

Susan is absolutely correct....my package will work in Recipes alongside of Richards stuff with no conflicts at all. But, as Susan said, and I made reference to in the install instructions....you must install the first set of my actions first....and this must be done in the Recipes area. Once this has been installed you then install my "new" actions and there will be no problem at all. Ling designed this installation, she is a HPA user, and she made it so that it would be compatable....and will be so unless Richard decides to change some files around. In the original install instructions, I make a reference on changing a name of one file so that you can actually have access to Richard's stuff on the Recipes welcome screen.

In a few previous posts I had mentioned that I would be willing to modify any actions to work within elements. I received no responses...which is fine, it is just more work for me. I know that Richard has also promised this....in fact to me...but...

Susan was right, Ling has more thumbnails available for the Paint/Sketches and the Photo Enhancements....I mentioned this and gave the link to her web site. This woman has been the most gracious and helpful person I have ever had the pleasure to work with....and she is in Belgium. Her main concern was to have an interface that would be elegant and easy to use and allow the use of other stuff such as HPA. I think she succeeded and was very generous of her time and her temperament.

Lings interface is very flexible....and has absolutely no restrictions on the number of actions...or different authors that might want to use it. A few files need to be changed, but this is very basic if I, a person with no real skill in this area, can do it. Richards interface, in the Welcome area, only allows for some 80+ actions.... and this is only if each subsequent author fills each menu with 12 actions.........this is problematic as my first package had over 100 actions in it.....this does not allow for expansion without a bunch of modification.

If anyone needs any help on these issues my email is still
budguinn@charter.net.

As these are not Richards' release and have nothing to do with him, I would recommend you direct all questions to me or Ling or here is fine, because I do try to monitor this site as well as others and help when I can. Richard has expressed to us...(I was gone) and Ling much dismay and consternation in this regard, and I would like to help remove this tremendous pressure from him.

your servant,

bud
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2003, 11:25 PM

Bud's new actions. You have to install his first set of actions for this to work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip budsnewelementsver2.zip (98.4 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2003, 07:42 AM

Bud,

While I appreciate the efforts made by you and Ling, I still recommend using only my interface, found here: ( http://hiddenelements.com/freetools.html ). I believe you know all of my concerns, which we have discussed previously by email -- I don't know why you want to raise these issues here again. Just because it is possible to load another interface does not make working with Elements easier, better or more elegant. I am unclear as to what benefit there is in working with two interfaces instead of just using Hidden Power Actions II. Here's why:
  • There are no actions that one interface can run that the other can't. The interfaces are redundant. There is no advantage to having both -- you just don't need two. It would be like having two identical toolbars or layers palettes.
  • The interface I provide does not conflict with Hidden Power and planned future enhancements in any way. Your interface can conflict with hidden power tools, probably in ways you have not yet determined, or that I have not made public.
  • The interface I provide for actions allows an infinite number of actions to be juggled on the fly. The package you have does not. In my package, 84 actions can be loaded at any one time...more than anyone will use in a session. However, even these can be changed without restarting on mac and PC in Elements 1 and 2. Changes to your interface may require restart of the program.
  • My interface requires no HTML to change the loaded sets. The interface you provide would require that you know HTML to alter it, and then the actions will not necessarily reload without restarting the program.
  • My interface allows you to apply actions in two modes, text and preview. This helps those with slower machines (redraw can be a factor with some video cards and systems) while offering preview as an option to those who prefer it.
  • Hidden Power Actions II provides free tools that are not available in your package. My installed free tools include Selective Color Adjustment, True Layer Masks, Quick Mask, Channel Mixer Adjustment and Action Playback Speed Control...and there will be additional tools.
While it is nice that you and Ling are converting your valuable actions (most will be in installer sets I provide), there are many more resources for actions that can be used in Elements. You have taken the idea of my original actions set and provided it in a manner which I have tried to tell you would cause conflicts and difficulty -- without providing any advantages, and ignoring my requests that you not provide it because of those potential conflicts. The result only to leaves some users confused when installation creates conflict that they can't solve. The confusion and difficulty are unnecessary biproducts.

I would be glad to work with you and Ling on a solution, and have repeatedly said that. We'd be getting a lot more ready for users if there was cooperation.

I hope that helps and clarifies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2003, 03:05 PM

Peaceful co-existence

In all fairness, I now have Ling and Bud's interface and actions installed in Photoshop Elements Recipes and they are co-existing quite well. There is the elegant Ling's Main User interface accessible through How To Recipes and with the click of a button I am taken to either Bud's Central or Hidden Powers interface in all its original glory. I haven't tested it extensively but it all looks as it should.

I did have some initial problems with installation of Lings interface but these issues have been resolved. Perhaps we are still or were in the beta stage here.

Ling and Bud have graciously offered to help trouble shoot any problems that users may have with their interface and in my case they have been true to their word.

Bud has had nothing but the highest praise for Hidden Powers on the forums and has stimulated considerable interest in your book and tools. And to my knowledge neither Ling or Bud are gaining anything financially from this.

Regarding the redundancy issues, I don't know what to suggest about this. I hope you can find a solution through cooperation.

I have considerable admiration and a high regard for Richard and Bud &Ling. I suspect that Bud&Ling's interface is here to stay and I hope that it can find a welcome from Hidden Powers.

Ling also has a new download from her site with better instructions and a few new tweaks to eliminate the conflicts that Richard has been complaining about.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2003, 12:42 PM

Mark,

I've not said anything to be unfair, just to clarify. Not to beat a dead horse:

Yes, it'll work with tweaking, but the tweaking isn't necessary if you use what I've provided. And that keeps everything compatible and doesn't duplicate efforts or functionality.

The fact is, the conflict exists in the installations, and if you don't want to have to fight it, there is no need to.

The installations don't do anything different to run actions...and any action that can be run in one can be run in the other.

I'll have new action packages ready by Monday -- or sooner -- and will announce here. Bud has some great actions, it is only the conflict between the interfaces that I am not really happy with.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support