RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Using Hidden Powers for major exposure problems

Old 05-13-2003, 10:59 AM

Thank yous

I want to thank jeaniesa, caseyJ, roger_ele, sdubose99, and Richard Lynch for their kindness. I have much to ponder here. I don't see all these options even with the tools. Maybe I need an update. Thanks again for your suggestions and your time. I'm move. Pop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 AM

Please let me know what tools you believe you might be missing. I don't believe you'll need an update, you just might not be looking for them in the right places. Everything I did was either done with my tools or from scratch. The whole thing took no more than 15 minutes.

Let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2003, 05:32 PM

More info.

Richard I accept your kind offer for more detail regarding your methods used to produce the layers shown in http://ps6.com/hiddenelements.com/fi...d800layers.gif
for http://ps6.com/hiddenelements.com/files/wedding-800.jpg

Layer clipping technique and any other detail.

Thank you so much, Pop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2003, 07:40 AM

Can you look back at the description I gave and let me know what parts or words/descriptions you don't feel you've understood? I could spend abou a book worth of words on it :-) .
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2003, 07:42 PM

Which tools for brightening?

Hi everyone
I am wondering about the relative merits of the different methods of brightening an underexposed photo. For example, how does one choose between the screen blend mode of CaseyJ (also adobe’s recipe), the overlay method I think Richard and Jeanie use, and using the levels midtone slider from Richard’s book or others .

I take a lot of underexposed photographs because I am frequently taking pictures or events inside where a flash would be ineffective or undesirable.

In my few experiments the “screen” method seems better than the levels slider but I can't say I'd bet there was any real difference. Richard's description of “overlay” in his book – darkens the light colors and lightens the dark ones with extremes less effected -would suggest it reduces the contrast in the midtones (??) while the description of “screen” seems to lighten everything (??). Are there choices that would more correspond to a “brighter room”? What about the ever tempting “enhance>adjust brightness/contrast” or the levels midtone slider??

thanks
Lary
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2003, 07:05 AM

Lary,

First thing I would do is a LEVELS correction...not just adjusting the middle slider (I don't believe I suggest that anywhere except as a secondary adjustment). If you do the levels adjustment, you should see a marked improvement in color and tone...unless there really isn't enough image information.

What i would also concentrate on is exposure. You may be taking images in the dark, but you may need a greater exposure -- or more lighting (not necessarily flash). What is the situation? What are the settings on your camera? Are you using film or digital?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2003, 08:23 AM

exposure

Richard, thanks for the quick reply.

As you suggests, the first thing I do is the levels - adjusting the end sliders in each channel. However this often leaves the picture dark. I believe you mention the adjusting the middle slider after that in ch 3 or 4 (?). I've played with the middle sliders in each channel and RGB overall also but its clear I don't know what I'm doing. I should say this does work in that the picture gets lighter but doesn't really seem right - washed out. I then reduce color noise and go on to curves. I wondered if the screen blend &/or overlay blend methods mentioned in this thread do a better pixel for pixel treatment.

I should say i have two very different photo situations I'm working with. The most critical is product shots of the furniture I build for my portfolio. Therefore a goal is to be able to do the absolute best I can with these photos. The second situation is essentially snapshots of family for vacation etc. To start I'm focusing on the "snap shots" for initial learning, in particular, kids in classrooms, award & talent programs, graduations, etc.

I am using an Olympus 4meg C4000Z with f2.8 6.5-19.5 mm zoom. With the ASA set to 400 (its max) and noise reduction on, Light levels generally require f2.8 and give a speed 0f ~ 1/10 - 1/15. I set the exposure to -1.0 or -2.0 to increase the speed enough (1/25-1/50) for the kids movement to be reasonably stopped though I'd like faster.

For these snap shots I'd like to have a fast way to fix them yet want to learn as much as possible for my portfolio slides and prints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2003, 10:42 AM

If you could somehow post some examples of the images you are trying to work with, the discussion could be more targeted.

As for the Photography itself, you would probably benefit from using some type of external lighting to suppliment room light. This is not necessarily a flash. You are taking pictures of moving people, so you'll want to get exposure up to around 1/250th, and you are FAR from that. Images of the furnature would also gain from use of a tripod and some added ambient or studio lighting. I assume you are doing this latter photography for some promotional purpose, and it would be a shame to lose detail because you oppose flash (which I can agree with if you are only considering on-camera).

That help? Lets see some photos!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2003, 12:30 PM

I will try to post some pictures, I've never done it before.
For the furniture shots I've used my 35mm minota with several 300W blue bulb stands and a tripod. I've sometimes tried the on camera flash. havn't been able to aford a flash system. I'd like to get a diffuse light box. I haven't tried this yet with the digital camera.

For the other photos I try to be as inconspicuous as possible - I know I need to get over this sometimes. As you'll see in the "Flair" photo I really needed to move but my wife didn't want me too and I'm alittle too shy. In the others, I don't see how I could add additional light except through flash given the situations. Any suggestions?

Fntofclass800x600web is the original, Fntofclass800-my try is what I've tried to do with it - any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

PS how does one post more than one photo to a message?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2003, 12:32 PM

try again to post photo

Ok I'll try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fntofclass800x600web.jpg (83.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support