RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Help!

Old 05-22-2003, 07:56 AM

Help!

Have this new printer (Epson 960) and tried to import the P.I.M. II profile into Photoshop Elements 2. From this point forward, my prints come out with a purple or reddish purple tint to them. I cannot find a logical way to undo this. (short of removing and reinstalling photoshop and the print drivers.....would rather figure out whats going on...lol)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 08:51 AM

Before using any profile, I like to have a good reason to. First, have you tried printing wthout it? Second, can you describe the steps you are taking to include it? Have you run through the calibration and setup as suggested by my book?

Let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 09:00 AM

Newer to photoshop. BRANDnew to this forum. Didnt know you had a book out.

The profile was supposed to color match to the EXIF information in my photos...I have an EXIF compatable camera.

This color cast dosnt show up while the photo is displayed in photoshop....just in the printing......my guess is that somthing changed the printers color managment scheme. Problem is, I have about 11 schemes available when I view the managment area in the driver.

I am a technician, and dont mind more involved answers and questions.

What is the name of your book, and I will stop by Barnes and Nobel and check it out!

(NOTE/UPDATE: saw your link at the bottom of your reply, and checked it out.....I'm very interested, and will check the book out.....thanks again)

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Roman
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 10:02 AM

I'm still a little in the dark as to where you are insinuating the profile.

In any case, first thing I would try is creating your own profile. Adobe Gamma is a fine place to start, unless, being a technician, you have some more sophisticated calibration equipment? But then there are many types of technicians.

The book should help get more out of Elements.

Let me know exactly what you are doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 04:50 PM

RJ;

I have a Epson 785EPX or whatever the initials are. Great 6 color printer for my needs (proofs).

The same thing happened to me !!!

I also have a EXIF camera and wanted the PIM 2 stuff. Thought better stuff is better for all. Learned the same about Nvidia drivers. If it works don't change it.

It has corrected itself now, don't know why maybe you can figure it out. I deleted the printer and its driver. Reinstalled it. Didn't help. I did this again with Complete 1 min powerdowns between steps. Still didn't help. Thought about reinstalling PS and Win98se. Too much of a drag for now. Then created profile using Adobe Gamma like Richard said. This didn't help either. THought about redoing everything but needed time to organise for the reinstall. About a week later the printer started working correctly. The only thing I do different is when a pic is opened I tell it not to use my profiles (not correct color for monitor). Have no Idea why it is working now??? If the printer is under 6 months old call epson tech support and it is free. Maybe someone can shed some light on the problem. Please private message me if you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 07:58 PM

I knew if I kept diggin.....I'd find it.

In the print preview page (of Photoshop Elements 2) there is a check box that says "Show More Options". When you check that, the bottom of the window expands to include a new dropdown box. Chose "Color Managment" in the drop down box.

Below it, I chose "Adobe RGB (1998)", and below it "Relative Colormetric" was already a default. "Use Black Point Compensation" was also checked by default.

I also went into the "Edit" Menu, and opened up "Color Settings" at the bottom of the menu. In the window that ensues, I chose the bottom option "Full Color Managment-Optomized for Print" radio button.

Walla.....my printing is back to normal.

I am assuming that if I play with it a bit, I could probably even have a bit of fun tweaking it (after writing down my origonal settings...lol)

Thanks for all the responses...!!!!

Roman
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2003, 08:27 AM

Roman,

I entirely misinterpreted what you were saying -- which is why I asked for an outline of what you were trying to do. You can certainly play around there, but you might find yourself going through reams of paper. That is not to say "don't play" but it is to say, be selective. There may be a lot of other things going on, many of which I mention in my book. For example, paper type can greatly effect/affect results.

You might try proofing to PDF to check your results...and see if that offers an accurate go-between. If it is the only printer you'll be printing to, getting results is fine no matter the settings, but if the images are something you will be sending elsewhere, your management choices become a lot more important in that you have to be sure you are making the right choice -- not just one that works...and there is a difference.

In any case, glad you found what you were looking for...

Lactobee...The changes you made would probably only show up later because you restarted/rebooted perhaps? It is sometimes one of the most tedious things to make adjustments to a system (depending somewhat on your OS) as you can't always trust that changes will be effective immediately for drivers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2003, 08:44 AM

Roman,
The color management issue, it seems to me, is very confusing, and different "authorities" offer differing solutions. On the Adobe Elements forum this subject has been discussed over and over again, without production of a concensus. One guru has a formula for settings for Epson products, but his site is geared towards academic purists and difficult to comprehend. From a practical point of view, it seems to be a trial and error process such as you describe. Some folks have argued that if one selects color management in Adobe, and printer color management in the printer options, one might foul things up; however, it seems to have worked for you. Last week I installed a new Lexmark printer that came with my new computer and contacted these people about which settings to use, as there is no guidance on their web site or in documentation with the printer. They suggested in an e-mail to me to use "same as source."
Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2003, 09:24 AM

Unless there is something special about Epson printers that I don't know (and I don't think there is), I would suggest trying to get results WITHOUT profiles before trying to get results with them. Many people think profiles are either magic or that they do something that you can't otherwise. Profiles do not simplify anything, Though they may help you adapt images to get the most out of them on a specific device. However, if you start with a profile, you start with change before you know if your basic setup is correct.

My suggestion would be to always learn to print and get results WITHOUT profiles before messing with them at all. And when you go to use a profile, have a VERY GOOD reason why you are using it. That means more than trial and error, it is understanding the color process and seeking to apply it. That is why a lot of the better information on color profile use will be technical.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2003, 08:21 PM

Oh....by the way.....looked at your book while at the book store today. LIked what I saw, and will pick it up in a couple of weeks. (I'm studying for my Windows Server 2000 exam right now.....and if I pick it up.....I'll end up reading it instead of focusing on my certs...lol)

I am just a hobbyest, and really want to understand digital darkroom techniques. Photography is my love, and will never go pro or anything like that...cause I like shooting for me...LOL.

Few quick questions though.

1. Does anyone have like maybe a web site that monitors the big companys "stock" profiles offerd to the public, and (since profiles are just a jumble of pre configurations) what these pre-configurations were created for? (eg: one profile is for using this kind of paper, and this profile is for using this kind of ink with this kind of paper...etc)

2. In office XP, they were wise enough to include a command that resets the entire office suite back to a "pre-configured" state. In other words....its compleatly rewrites the registry to fresh install standards. Does Photoshop (in my case photoshop elements 2) have such an animal?

Thanks again!!

Roman
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support