Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Trouble Following CMYK Separation Procedure

Old 08-22-2003, 03:15 PM
This problem has not made the errata list as of yet. I just spent 2 days trying the steps over and over and over. Throwing the book, cussing Richard (not really Richard ) and taking more aspirin. Of course I tried the easy route first, you know, read the eratta...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2003, 07:07 PM

And what problem might that be? I am not clear. You can do CMYK separations in Elements. There is one error I know of, but i am not sure which you want addressed in the errata.

The idea would be to use CMYK in Elements in a casual and non-production way. It would also be a great experimentation ground for one to find ou about and work with the nuance of CMYK adjustments WITHOUT the benefit of Phooshop automation so there is an understanding of what is going on and what needs to be achieved.

My opinion is that users need to learn this before being really effective with separations. In your case you already know the theory (via having to create separations and/or fighting with them). I refuse to spare the user the glory of understanding in favor of pushing a button.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Sorry Richard, I had just finished reading the whole thread, and still had this fresh in my mind. I should have quoted you, my mistake. The problem is the missing step (s). ALSO please note that on p140 "Remove Color Under Black"; step 1. Copy the Black layer and Invert it.... Probably should say Duplicate the black layer and change the mode to difference.

I figured out the copy (lol), but used cmnd+I to invert. I don't think invert was the correct step, and am pretty sure mode to difference is the correct step.

I left my book sitting for now, as I got very frustrated with this at this point.

Finally had a chance to check this. You should merge the Luminosity and Black channels between step 3 and 4 -- there is indeed a step missing. If you try it with the tool, you can follow along in the steps and it becomes pretty clear what is going on. The Luminosity is used to generate tone for the black -- it is then corrected so that the black only is introduced at 50% or darker tones. It is merged with the black layer to do 2 things: change the mode of the layer and change the name to Black.

I'll have to get that in the errata. Thanks!

Richard Lynch<<<
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support