RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

saturation masking

Old 08-03-2003, 03:31 PM

Isolation by color is the ENTIRE point. yes. Never forget you may need to combine techniques to get the result or selection you actualy need.

there are many techniques to get a result, but often a combination will be neccessary to work with a unique image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2003, 04:02 PM

I have quite a few questions about this process, but I'm having trouble getting my posts to come though. This is just a test to see if I can get this message on the board.

Sorry ....

Last edited by beaner; 08-17-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2003, 04:12 PM

Ok, I see my post so I will attempt to ask my questions. I am just learning how to use saturation masking. As the book suggests, I am trying to master the manual technique first. So following the instructions in the book I encounter a problem with step #5 (Preparation). "Create another Fill Layer and fill it with gray (put 50% H in the HSB fields in the color picker; S and B should be 0%). Name this Commit Mode 2.

1. What should be the active layer for this step?

2. If I use the Mask Layer as the active layer the Commit Mode 1 Layer combines with the Mask layer. Why? The way I worked around this was to use the backround layer as the active Layer, but then I believe it throws off the order of the layers. In the end I switch them around so from top to bottom I have: Saturated Colors, Commit Mode 1, Commit Mode 2, Mask and then Backround Layer. Is this the correct order?

3. When I enter 50% into the H in the HSB field in the color picker and 0% into S and B I don't get gray. I end up with Black. Could someone explain this. The only way that I am able to get gray is to put 127 into R 127 into G and 127 into B. Will this work instead?

4. My last problem is with step #15. I can't seem to get the Satruated Colors Layer to merge with the Commit Mode 1 Layer unless I use the "simplify layers command on "Commit Mode 1". Is this an acceptable thing to do?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2003, 05:49 PM

Errata link

Some of your questions can be answered here;
http://www.hiddenelements.com/errata.html
A few errors crept into the book. CaseyJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2003, 07:05 PM

Those same darned errors...Please do check where Casey suggested. The reprint should have these corrected -- as far as I know on the way to be printed again soon.

If you still have trouble after checking the errata, please come back here again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2003, 08:40 PM

Cool! I thought I was going crazy trying to make that darn Commit Mode 2 fill layer turn gray. I believed that maybe I had inadvertently changed some of my defaults. Thanks for the help on answering question #3.

Still wondering about why the Mask Layer and the Commit Mode 2 Layer combine into one if I leave the Mask Layer active when I create the "Commit Mode 2" layer. What causes this to happen?

Is this the proper order for the layers after step #5 (top to bottom) Saturated Color Layer, Commit Mode 1, Commit Mode 2, Mask and Backround Layer? I don't really understand what step #6 is saying by "There are two changes to commit using layer modes, and this upper layer will be the first in line."

Does it change anything when I simplify the "Commit Mode 1" and "Commit Mode 2" layers before merging? I couldn't get it to work without this extra step.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2003, 04:18 AM

"Still wondering about why the Mask Layer and the Commit Mode 2 Layer combine into one if I leave the Mask Layer active when I create the "Commit Mode 2" layer. What causes this to happen?"

How are you creating the other layer? This is not a behavior that I can duplicate.

"Is this the proper order for the layers after step #5 (top to bottom) Saturated Color Layer, Commit Mode 1, Commit Mode 2, Mask and Backround Layer?"

Yes. If you have the free power tools
you can run through the process in slow motion by changing action speed to step-by-step or slower and clicking the Saturation Mask tool. It will run through all the steps in the correct order.

"I don't really understand what step #6 is saying by "There are two changes to commit using layer modes, and this upper layer will be the first in line."

You are going to commit mode changes. When you assign a mode to a layer, the change is only visual. To make the change permanent, you have to merge the layer with another one.

"Does it change anything when I simplify the "Commit Mode 1" and "Commit Mode 2" layers before merging?"

There shouldn't be the opportunity to simplify these, unless you are making a solid fill layer....which should work the same simplifying before or not. I just did it and am unable to duplicate your results.

If you are having a lot of erratic behavior, you might want to chuck your preferences.

That help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2003, 10:51 AM

These are the steps I'm using to create the layers:

1. Open "bottle psd"

2. Layer>Duplicate Layer "Saturated Colors"

3. Activate Backround Layer (by highlighting)

4. Layer>New>Layer "Mask"

5. Leaving "Mask" as active layer: Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color "Commit Mode 2". Color picker opens: 50% B (H/S 0%)>OK. Now, in the Layers Palette, I have one line called "Mask". It contains two thumnails: 1 gray square that looks like a levels adjustment linked to 1 white square.

6. The layers are from top to bottom: Saturated Colors, Mask and Backround Layer. There is no Commit Mode 2. Now if I look in the undo history palette it shows: a new layer was created AND it also shows a new fill layer was created. So for some unknown reason the program is combining the two, why... I don't know?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2003, 10:59 AM

How I get around the above problem:

1. Activate the Backround Layer Layer>New Fill Layer > Solid Color name the layer "Commit Mode 2". Color Picker opens, 50%B 0%H/S. Accept Layer. These steps create the "Commit Mode 2" Layer, but the layer line still contains two thumbnails: a gray levels one linked to a white square. The new order of the layers are bottom to top: Backround Layer, Commit Mode 2, Mask and Saturated Colors. So, I just drag the Commit Mode 2 layer above the Mask Layer to correct this.

2. Now you mentioned something about creating a "Solid Fill Layer" I think that is what I am doing, because I don't know of any other way to create a fill layer than the steps I told you in the last two posts. I believe the reason I have to simplify the Commit Mode layers before merging is because I have the two thumbnails, because after the simplify step the two thumbnails become one. How do I correct this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2003, 12:05 PM

I have the exact same problem as Beaner.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support