RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Edit > Color Settings

Old 08-05-2003, 07:46 PM

not necessarily

The match may be close but most likely not always 100%. This is because the gamuts of the monitor and "printer" will be different, and any colours outside the intersection of the gamuts will have been approximated.

I say "printer" because the actual print gamut depends on the paper/ink combination rather than the printer itself.

Also, since prints are reflective the viewing light can affect colour perception (i.e. metamerism)

Cheers,
Paul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2003, 08:14 AM

My print output is very weak on greens and cyans. I use no color management in PE1 and so I assume my CP4500 pictures in sRGB stay in sRGB in Elements. Can I change my working space in Elements to be AdobeRGB? How? Will this give me more greens and cyans in the print? I calibrated the monitor using i-1 display (which looks good) and have an Epson printer profile that I use in Qimage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2003, 04:07 PM

What are your images from source? A digital camera?

Have you tried not using Qimage and forgoing the profile?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2003, 07:29 PM

Sorry, the CP4500 means the Nikon 4 Mpixel coolpix. The EXIF data mentions sRGB. I'm addicted to Qimage and would never print without it. Quality and flexibility are unsurpassed. In spite of the problems I'm having with the custom profile I had made by Cathy, using the color sliders is just as unpredictable. I am now trying to use curves in a batch filter in Qimage to correct the print color caste. In the end I may get another profile made.
I had heard that adobe RGB has a wider gamut, much of which many printers can accomodate. So I thought my using sRGB might contribute to the color problems. What do I know about color management.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2003, 05:38 AM

RGB has a wider gammut, but CMYK and RGB are not synonymous and you can't get the printer to print RGB color. Though you wouldn't print without Qimage, I recommend giving it a try. At this point I am not sure the results are unsurpassed if you aren't getting the results you want. In any case, you want to try cutting down on the number of variables to isolate the problem...this would be a first step. Doesn't mean you won't go back to it later.

What kind of paper are you using?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2003, 08:01 PM

Reimar,
I'd guess that your print profile is at fault. Have you successfully used the profile before? Since print profiles are paper and ink combination specific, are you using different ink and/or paper to that used to produce the profile? Note that from time to time, some 3rd party ink sellers (basically those that don't produce ink themselves) change the factories they get their ink from, which means you're getting different ink even though [I]you{/I] think you're getting the same ink.

Since in CMYK green is Y+C, your weak greens and cyans are probably just a problem with cyan. Different cyan ink perhaps?

Cheers,
Paul.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support