RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Need help with Hidden Powers...

Old 11-12-2003, 04:50 PM

Sue,

Richard posted a walkthrough for installing actions a little while back ... if you go to http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=7218

then scroll down the screen I think you will find it. I did a screen print and have kept a copy for the future.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2003, 05:12 PM

Hi Wendy, Yes! the Bonus Tools work! Layer mask did add a new layer! But I do get a message saying that "The command 'Make' is not currently available".

I had been trying to use 'Frames' over and over again, and when nothing happened with the tools across the top, I gave up. I needed to use the top tools to follow my lessons.

I do think we are figuring out my problems, I think that, when you look at my screen shots, that things are not in the proper places.

But this sure is a breakthrough for me, to be able to use the tools on the left.

But Frames I would LOVE to use, as that is the current lesson.

We are gaining! Thanks, Wendy for the help, there are others watching here, and this is a great help for them too.
I must put dinner on the table, so my husband wont starve, but I will be back very soon.
Thanks, Jane
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2003, 06:26 PM

Jane,

You are getting there ... I believe you get the message "The command 'Make' is not currently available" when you are trying to apply a mask to the background layer. You need to copy the background layer click on the copy layer and then try again.

Now Frames: Open a photo then click on the little frames heading on the top right hand side. The bottom part should now change to Buds Wooden frames 1. If it does then click on preview mode right at the bottom of the list and you should then see thumbnails of the frames. Click on one and it should then frame your picture.

Let me know how you go on

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2003, 08:50 PM

Hi Wendy, This is the problem area, nothing happens when I click on Frames or anything on the top. Everything on the left side works.
But I need Frames, and nothing up there works at all. Its not greyed out, it acts like a link, but is inoperative.
I started fooling around with the innards of PSE and copied Frames into various parts of it, figured if Frames was in multiple places, that eventually it would get into the works. But no.
Frames is jinxed for me. I did get Jodi Frye's frames downloaded, installed, and applied in less than 5 minutes, so I can't be that dumb,,,,,
I will try more tomorrow, and thanks for your help. Wish Richard would tell me something, he must have some kind of an idea what I have done wrong,,,,,,,,
Jane, the dunce of HiddenPowerville
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2003, 03:29 AM

"I started fooling around with the innards of PSE and copied Frames into various parts of it, figured if Frames was in multiple places, that eventually it would get into the works. But no."

AHA! see, you ARE fond of customizing, and this is as I suspected in the other thread. If you copy the files to enough places you will get them to show up, but you WON'T get the actions to work. The files are installed to different places in Elements, and not all to one directory. That has to do with the way elements works. You are now seeing the screens because you copied them to the right place, but the actions are in the wrong one.

You need to install one more time, and install you the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 FOLDER (read the screen -- do not target the program FILE). Read the screens during installation and be sure you target the right program folder.

What you might want to try is doing a clean install of Elements, and then the tools. If it fails, throw out the whole thing and try again...targeting a different folder. Be sure you are starting Elements from the new install (though you could just trash the old one entirely, or rename it Temp Adobe Photoshop Elements 2).

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2003, 07:25 AM

Hi Richard, I think that I am going to be able to figure this out with your help.
I did post my other info in detail, in the other thread, and will follow your instructions from start to finish.
Being able to get everything on the left side of the Welcome screen working, has given me confidence to see if I can get Frames and the Actions to work.
I am going back throughout today and carefully place everything where you say to.

Then will re-install if needed,,,,,,,

I sure am looking forward to these wonderful tools!
Thank you, Jane
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2003, 08:17 PM

No..no. Please let the installer do what it was made to do. You shouldn't be moving files around -- you'll just make things confused within the directories. use the installer, read the directions and follow them. It is all you need to do for a successful install.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2003, 03:46 PM

Hi Richard, I will do it over again, new install, as you say.
I sure don't know what I am doing, I won't move any files this time, even tho I did get the bottom left Welcome screen things up and running. I will just leave things where they 'land'.

I mentioned in the other thread that I don't know if I should remove anything before I re-install it?

Also, the instructions with the HPA3.sea were Microsoft Word, I can't open them, so my instructor sent them to me in plain text, so I now can read the instructions!
Now lets see if this old brain can follow what they say to do.

But I won't do anything before I hear from you tomorrow. that is a promise.
Thank you so much for helping me thru this process, I must admit that I never have had this much trouble installing anything before. I need to read the instructions and understand them before I do the re-install.
Thanks, Jane
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2003, 05:44 AM

Most installations you do will be for stand-alone programs and that is far easier to do (if often more complicated to design). This installation is different in that it is a modification. It has to be targeted to add to existing components. If you target the installation correctly using the installer, there should be no need to change things around, and I can almost guarantee that unusual things will happen if you mess with the files and aren't sure of what you are doing.

when you do a clean install (after reading the instructions), if anything goes wrong, I can tell what it was and we can go from there. Just install ONCE -- don't try it multiple times if it fails, as that will make it harder for me to figure out what's going wrong.

OK?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2003, 08:41 AM

Hi Richard, OK that sounds good. So I assume that I don't need to take any of the old files out from my first and second install.

I have moved my 6 screenshots to here,
http://www.pbase.com/image/23210952
and the captions explain what each one represents in the order of what I have done.

I will wait until you see these and determine if I need to take stuff out, or just install again.

Thanks! I really am looking forward to your wonderful tools!
Jane
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support