RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Need help with Hidden Powers...

Old 11-15-2003, 09:36 AM

From what I see here things seem to be in the right place. The only other time I have encountered a problem like this is when a user had more than one installation of Elements. They were looking at the file structure for the one they weren't using.

Can you do a search for Elements and see what you come up with? I would also be interested in seeing what you get when searching for hiddenpower.html (how many times it appears and where). The other test you can do is this:

In HTMLPalettes/Welcome, open the index.html file in a web browser by dragging it into an open browser window. You should see the hidden power welcome screen. Click on the Frames link and you SHOULD see the frames layout. if not, then there is either something wrong with the index.html file or the content of the Frames folder. I am not clear why a problem would happen with your installation in this way and no one elses...Just so you know, you will get a page error if you click on one of the tools/actions in the web browser. This method is only good for testing the navigation.

Let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2003, 12:12 PM

Hi Richard, First, the search for Elements brought up 55 Items
(Some of these are Lisa Neals actions that I had from long ago and never installed and forgot about) I am going to move that folder off my computer right now,)

OK now I have 39 in my Elements search, thats better.

Elements 2 brought up 10
Hiddenpower.html brought up none
HTMLPalettes/Welcome brought up none

But when I dragged the index.html into Netscape, there was everything!
Clicked on Frames, and there they were!

(I took all my Elements version 1 off the computer last March, when I purchased Elements 2)

Last week when I installed HiddenPower, I put it in the wrong folder first, I put it in 'Adobe Photoshop Preferences' realized my mistake, so re-installed them into 'Adobe Photoshop Elements 2'. Wonder if that is part of my problem.

Closer and closer to success!
Thank you so very much for helping me with this, I will put up more screenshots this afternoon if you want me to.
Jane
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2003, 05:05 PM

well, this is really very strange. I will have to assume that you obviously do not have the tools from the book, which is fine. However, that you see everything from netscape makes no sense. you see, the welcome menu in elements is really just a modified browser. the files you access through Netscape are the same Elements will access, using the same links.

The search for Elements 2 brough up 10 items? I would be interested in seeing that list eventhough that seems OK.

There are two things to try (not at the same time).

1. Restart Elements (shut down Elements and start from the icon) while holding down Shift+CTRL/Command+ALT/Option (PC/Mac). This will rebuild your preferences, and delete your settings file.

Try the tools after that. If they don't work try the next idea.

1. install a second copy of Elements to your desktop.
2. Run the installer for the tools and target the program folder on the desktop.

Once you have done that (ONE TIME), don't move any of the files and send me screen shots of the Recipes and Welcome folders, with one level of subfolders open.

How much RAM do you have on your machine? can you tell how much is available? do you use virtual ram? how are your scratch disks set?

Let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2003, 07:29 PM

Hi Richard, Here is a screen shot of all my Elements 2 stuff.
http://www.pbase.com/image/23330942

(Have 448 MB ram, never had a memory problem or message, have given plenty to each program.
I do forget and have many programs open at once and far too many windows going all at the same time, but the computer never complains, I just have to wade thru stuff.. Then I remember to quit stuff that I am not using.
Do leave virtual memory on most of the time.)

Never have rebuilt preferences on PSE as it works fine, but let me know just what keys to use for the Mac, as the PC ones confuse me. And I will try it.

Oh, I think I know what I should do, lets install PSE 2 on my G3 powerbook and try this on it. I don't want to upset my G4, as everything on it including PSE 2 is working just fine.
Maybe part of the problem is that I do have sooooo much stuff on this computer, that maybe I could have some kind of a conflict?

Thank you for your continuing help, the powerbook with the new install might be the way to go.
Jane
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2003, 04:16 AM

Hi Jane,

To delete prefs ... Close Elements then restart Elements whilst holding down Control + Alt + Shift (Some people call the three keys Apple, Option, Shift ... which can be a bit confusing). A little box will pop up which says "Delete the Adobe preference file" just click on yes.

I'm amazed that you haven't had to do it yet ... I seem to have to do it every couple of weeks or so.

Won't be long now before you are using the tools
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2003, 07:59 AM

Smile

Hi Wendy, Thank you for the Mac keys. I never have done this, and was wondering if it changes my settings or if there could be any harm done to PSE such as losing my collection of filters, Jodi's neat frames and other goodies that I have added to PSE?

I am going to try the whole HiddenPower installation on my powerbook, but first I have to install PSE 2. I just have an old version of Photoshop on it, and should take that off.

Then when and if it works, I can compare between the computers, and can show Richard my screenshots so he can diagnose my errors.
Thanks for the info.
Jane
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2003, 08:41 AM

Jane,

When you delete prefs you keep all your frames etc ... the only thing you lose is any personal settings you have in Elements Preferences (changes you have made under Photoshop Elements>Preferences) for example I have set the History State to 50 instead of the default 20.

Goodies are left intact BUT it is always a good idea to keep a copy of them in a separate file in case you have to reinstall Elements again. If you don't know how to do that just let me know and I will talk you through it.

you will get there
Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2003, 08:59 AM

Hi Wendy, What a great idea!
I always put copies of everything on my external HD, so this is what I will do with this.
To do this correctly, should I take the whole Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 folder inside my Applications folder on the hd, and just copy it to the ext hd?
If that is the way to do it, I will do it today, like right now!

Then all my extras are there, in their proper places.

Another question that I have wondered about, when you re-install a program, first I should go thru everything and search to get all the old stuff out. So that everything new is new? Or will it just install over and re-write the program.

You can see that I am a bit confused with tinkering with my programs.
Thanks!
Jane
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2003, 09:26 AM

Hi Jane,

Normally I just put a copy of all the "goodies" in another folder on another partition of the internal HD (or on my LaCie drive). There really isn't any point in backing up all of PSE2 onto another drive as you already have that on your original disc. Same thing with Richard's tools.

Now to backup your goodies:

Create a new folder (I do it on the desktop) , go to Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 folder then find the Plug ins folder and the Presets folder and work your way through them making copies of all the brushes, styles etc that you collected from other sources.

To copy them into your new "backup folder" hold down the ALT key and drag and drop from the Adobe folders into the new one ... that copies rather than moves ... take a look and you will see a little plus sign come up.

After I had finished I moved the folder from the desk top to another partition of my internal HD.

I then created folders within the Backup folder so that I could sort the goodies by type (Brushes, Styles, Gradients etc) ... It just keeps them tidy and makes them easier to find. Now when I download anything new I install it as usual then drop a copy into the Backup folder)

As far as re-installing ... the Mac usually overwrites BUT as you are having so many problems I would remove the lot before I started a re-install, just to be on the safe side.

Hope this all makes sense
Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2003, 12:05 PM

Hi Wendy, Yes, that makes perfect sense. I will make the copies and have them identified, then slide them over onto my LaCie hd.
Then if I ever need to do a re-install, all my goodies are there and waiting if I need them.

Actually my PSE is working perfectly, so I guess that I didn't cause the PSE itself any problems, just with the Hidden Power tools.
But I think that I will try the install thing with my Powerbook, and maybe that will uncover my mistake, and it will be good just for practise for me.

Today is my littlest grandson's 3rd birthday, so probably I won't get back to my computer projects until later in the evening.

Thank you for all the great info! When I learn something new, it sure helps to have it explained in steps.
Jane
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support