RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Just a little glitch

Old 08-13-2003, 01:11 AM

Just a little glitch

I just got my HP book on Monday, and installed the tools from the CD. I did have the free tools already installed, and Lings UI with snap actions.

The HP install has hidden my snap actions, any quick tips on getting them back?

I had another small problem.

While trying to do the oceansun.psd photo, with the gradient map recolor project. Steps 19-30 on page 54. My Gradient Editor kept closing by itself before I could actually save the changes. This happened several times during the color picker stage at random, on different steps.

I ended up doing these steps several times as a result (not such a bad idea anyways). Has anyone else had this trouble? How can it be fixed? (OSX 10.2.x 1gig ram G4 800, Photoshop Elements 2)

Fantastic book! I may have to read it several times to get the full hang of things, but I can tell this is really going to get me headed in the right direction. Thanks Richard!

FWIW the first sections on color management options with PE2 finally cleared the air for me in this area, what a great help!

Last edited by 2003blink; 08-13-2003 at 01:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2003, 06:37 AM

I run Richard's tools (from the book and HPA3 and the batch), and snap actions together quite happily. I installed Richard's Hidden Elements stuff first and then set up snap actions second - I'm not sure whether you'd have to reinstall snap actions entirely - I would have thought just re-running snap actions to generate the HTML menus (making sure you now include the menu item that points to the Hidden Power tools!) would suffice.

I can't shed any light on the gradient editor problem - never had that one myself (and I use it a lot).

Susan S
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2003, 06:14 PM

Susan thanks!

I just changed the name of the index.html, like I did before I installed the HP "free tools". Ran Ling UI and just hit generate. This fixed me all up again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2003, 08:55 PM

I had the same problem......had the Actions working and then installed Hidden Powers from the CD.....no more Actions......could you please supply more detailed info on how to get both working together? I'm fairly new at this program (PSE 2) and to downloading, etc so need details......thanks.....Lynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2003, 09:58 PM

Lynn, I am on a Mac with OS X 10.2. The steps should be real close to what you have in Windows. There might be a short cut someone else could pop in with.

I am only guessing you have Windows...
Close Photoshop Elements, if its open
Go to Start->All programs
Right click on "Adobe" and choose "explore" on the drop down menu
(make sure you have "folders" selected so you can see your folders!)
Select the "+" next to "program files" and expand.
Navigate to your Adobe Photoshop Elements (PSE) folder. (root... not the shortcut)
Below that you will find" HTML Palettes".
Inside that you find "Recipes"
Inside that you find "index.html" <<<---change the name to "indexoriginal.html" (or what ever you want so you can remember this is the original index if you want it back)

In the same folder (HTML Palettes->Recipes) Start snapActions (snapActions.jar for OS X) I *think* Windows is just snapActions.exe

Hit the generate button.
Close the program.

This should fix you right as rain (at least it worked for me)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2003, 11:24 PM

Thanks so much....that seems to have done it!!!!

Lynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2003, 04:56 PM

I have Elements Actions II installed and as soon as my book arrives I hope to install the tools from the CD. I check in here every day or so but sometimes have trouble even understanding the questions never mind the answers

So forgive me if my question sounds silly but I am very new to all of this ... Just what is Lings UI with Snap Actions?

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2003, 09:30 PM

Wendy, as far as I can see it's a way to organise/play actions.

The homepage for the snapActions is http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/PE2stuff2.html

It looks interesting, so I might install it

Cheers,
Paul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2003, 02:32 AM

Hi Paul .... thanks for all the information. I have just been and checked it out and the package does look interesting, guess I will be installing it later today. Some of the actions sound good ... so far the only ones I have are the ones that came with Elements Actions II. I guess there must be others around that have been converted but I haven't been able to find them yet. Once again thank you for all your help.

Regards
Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2003, 02:48 PM

I am really interested in having some feedback. The fact is, the snap-action thing doesn't allow you to run anything that Hidden Power can't. The ability to arrange the actions is probably a benefit, but, while it is more involved initially, I assume it is better to customize HP.

So...while I admittedly grudge the existence of snap-actions (I was working with the people who released that after assuming they were working with me, and not independently...when i found they released the materials -- to my surprise), I don't understand why people need both. The fact is, snap actions can't run my enhancements. both interfaces will run the same actions.

So...someone please explain to me what the draw is?! I might consider enhancement to Hidden Power Actions if I really understood why people were interested in snap actions in the first place...All it is is a derivative (um, directly) from my Hidden Power Actions releases.

I can probably do whatever you want...and perhaps go a step further.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support