RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Color Picker/Gradient Editor

Old 08-18-2003, 01:15 PM

Color Picker/Gradient Editor

One of my most favorite excercies in the book is "Recolor the altered tone" on pages 53-54.

These steps really made the sunset brilliant. What I'm wondering is how did you come up with the RGB values for the 0%, 25%, 40%, 60%, 85% and 100% color stops?

Are these %stop positions something I should use for all images? What are the generic stops for just simple colors like red, green, and blue? I'm just looking for a starting point, so I can adjust from there.

For example RGB (25,30,90) is a deep blue. Are there a set of numbers for just a true blue?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2003, 08:50 PM

I bet it takes people a long time to figure out the colors to mix. What I have been trying is to use the info pallet, and copy down color information from there, that I want to duplicate in the gradient.

I open a picture that has the color that I want and use the eyedropper tool with the info pallet, to grab the color information.

If you are on a Mac the Digital Color Meter tool works great for this too. Applications->utilities-> With this tool, you can grab a color from anything on your screen.

From the tutorial on splitting RGB, true blue would be 0,0,255 right? p39
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2003, 10:20 PM

Blink,

You came through for me again! I just needed a starting point for the Red, Green and Blue colors. You are totally correct when you said that true Blue is 0,0,255. I tested it all out. I guess the answer was right in front of me the whole time. The problem was I wasn't really the book as thoroughly as I needed to in the beginning because I was so excited to get to the more exciting stuff! I'll slow down and go back through it again.

Thanks! You are a great resource.

PS: the idea to use the eyedropper and info palette combo will be a great help also. With these two things combined I now have a better handle on the Color Picker and Gradient Editor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2003, 01:35 PM

Info. on this link may be of interest to you.
http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html
Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2003, 09:30 AM

Ken, Thanks! That was exactly what I needed. Now that I have the color picker "piece" of the excercise ironed out, I just need someone to answer the question about the % Color Stops.

Are 0%, 25%, 40%, 60%, 85%, 100% a standard place to set stops for every image, or does each image have to be dealt with individually with trial and error?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2003, 12:47 PM

These aren't 'standard' places to set stops for every image, no. They were convenient to achieve an effect in THIS image. You may want to use more or less stops, or completely different colors.

You can make the placements based on trial and error, or measurement in the image. That is, if you see the sun and it is 100% white and you want it to be yellow, you would set 0% black to yellow using the stops. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish in the image.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support