RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Calculating base for Multiple images

Old 08-23-2003, 06:33 PM

Calculating base for Multiple images

p160 asks create a background base for all the 5 Teapot images to sit on. I got the job done with trial and error, but know there must be a formula to making a more precise estimation of a base layer for all the images to sit on.

Anyone know how to calculate this kind of project?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2003, 08:34 PM

I looked at p160, but I still don't understand what you're asking.

It's up to you what you want for the background, so there isn't a "right" answer. If you're asking about gradients, use the foreground to background gradient. The degree of change in the gradient will depend on what effect you're trying to achieve (e.g. natural lighting or spotlight lighting). So when selecting the foreground and background colours use the same hue (H in the colour picker), but give them different brightness (B value). Obviously, the closer the B values the more subtle the effect.

Apologies if this isn't what you wanted to know

Paul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2003, 08:37 PM

There is no calculation for this, it is an artistic judgement. I discuss how I did it right beside the picture of the background...I used a gradient. You could probably use a flat, grayish color just as well. It is the shadow and such that will give you depth. The background almost doesn't matter. You can actually have a lot of fun experimenting with gradients and blending.

guess I didn't think that was a big deal at the time. I could have included a sample background. That would probably have been a good idea.

Actually, I am not sure why the image in the book didn't make the CD...I mean obviously I sent the image. Hmmm.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2003, 12:02 AM

Thanks guys for the great answers and tips!

I meant to ask about calculating the base image size for the 5 teapot images to sit on. Is there a cool trick to estimating the over all size (base) to start with? In this case, I know I have 5 images to put on 1 background.

How would you go about calculating the big background size, that will be used? These start at about 24"X 19"each. I guess it would be best to create this base after I made the 5 selections, and depending on the intended output resolution and size. Or---- just go large and crop?

Great exercise by the way, it forces me to go back and review at this point in the book.

(Sorry for the poorly asked original question. I had two reply windows open at the time, and didn't get the whole question on the one I ended up submitting. My confusion is like a snow ball that only gets bigger the farther down the hill it rolls. Even the smallest problem turns into a huge thing )
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2003, 06:21 AM

I was definitely asking you to think by the time you hitt this exercise. There is, for example, the one image that 'inexplicably' has different lighting. Guess the author had to go out of his way to change the lighting for that one piece...

I was talking with someone the other day who had some 30+ years of photography experience who was using the book, and he suggested there were potentially years worth of study in the book. I agree. It was my goal not to make a disposable book -- one that you just master and move on (errors aside). As I say in the introduction, there is about 10 years of digital learning built into these techniques, no need to master them all in a few weeks. There are different levels to most examples, including: just completeing the example, completing and getting it, completing and getting it and thinking you can apply the theory (or completing and understanding), completing and understanding and interpreting how that applies to images and tools globally. These are not generally one-time tricks, and the key to any of the examples is not any part that only works-on-one-image. The process is cumulative. Like a snowball, yes, but hopefully one where the good things stick as you roll.

Don't be shy about going back...or spending time with any one exercise. If this were literature, I would have made the suggestion as Joyce may have in the last words of Finnegans Wake, that the end was really the beginning...perhaps not intended to be read only once.

Sorry for the faults you keep finding, hopefully I'll get them all swept away.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2003, 11:53 AM

I caught the meaning of the inexplicable light change and the whole intent of this exercise,(p 160) and commented "Great exercise by the way..."

My intended question about the SIZE of the base to start the project with, was not to point out any fault in the book. It probably LOOKS like that is all I am trying to do (find faults), but I assure you, *I* wouldn't spend the time. The truth is.... I want to learn this so bad, that I am reading each and every word. (several times in most cases). I plan on taking several more trips through the book. I just need examples of how things "should" work, then and only then, can I move on to practical application on any other image. (with the full use of all the options)

The reason I botched the original question was...
I started to ask about calculating base image SIZE here (this board), but realized its not really part of the book.(figured this must be elementary to PSE users) So I started digging in the PSE help files, and couldn't find a quick answer. I then went to the user boards at Adobe, but the "search" function was NOT working as they (Adobe) were/are working on the boards. I didn't want to get side tracked and distracted from the project on p160, so I decided to go ahead and post the SIZE question here, because I knew you guys really know this stuff. (by then I had 2 windows open but posted the wrong one)

Let me state again. This exercise on p160 is GREAT just as it is! Absolutely no need for additional information or files, or changed wording or anything! IMHO

I just wanted to give a reference (p160) to my question about calculating the base SIZE, in the hope that someone would understand my question. I will use this information in the future on other projects too

I FULLY UNDERSTAND that the tools and theory in this book are NOT 1 trick ponies! I get that! This is the wake up section of the book! By now you SHOULD know how to do the exercise on p160. (*I* need to fill in some holes in *my* learning here, and review )
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2003, 01:49 PM

Well, call me silly, but *I* see it as an omission. I wasn't thinking that you were looking for problems...It is an open project, sure, but I could have thrown in an over-all dimension. I am a little disappointed that nothing was there to help you out. But here is my solution...for now:

Open all 5 of the image parts. Resize (no interpolation) to a standard ppi (say 288). Find out which image(s) is largest in height and width. make the background AT LEAST twice as wide as the widest, and twice as tall as the tallest (i'd really go 2.5 for some leeway) with the same PPI.

Please don't get me wrong...I am GLAD you are letting me know about stuff (trouble, whether it is a typo or step or conceptual thing -- or a plain ol' question). If you are having any trouble, there are more people who are who don't say a word but still have the problems. I'm of the impression that I do more good addressing problems than pretending things are perfect (ergo the website, newsletter, and this forum). It is just frustrating seeing things go wrong that once were right...and I write short responses when on deadlines, which doesn't help get my point across.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2003, 02:24 PM

Thumbs down

Thanks Richard, that answer was just the ticket !
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2003, 10:50 AM

I added a bckground file to the Errata on the website.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support