RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Trim Image

Old 10-06-2003, 07:43 PM

Trim Image

Can someone please tell me how to use "Trim Image" in the Bonus Tools? When I click on it, I get a menu asking which pixel position to choose, but nothing seems to happen thereafter. The companion tool, "Reveal hidden..." doesn't seem to do anything either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2003, 09:23 PM

Hi Bruce,
I'm surprised no-ones answered this!

Trim just removes same colour borders. The easiest way to see it in action, is to increase the canvas size, then run trim image. (This is just giving you access to Photoshop's Image>Trim command).

I don't know what the reveal thingy is. Playing with it, it looks like it might be Photoshop's "Reveal All" (that's what's in the undo history), which works on layer masks. But I don't know how to use it.

Cheers,
Paul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2003, 04:41 AM

Thanks Paul for the Trim Image note. I guess this is most helpful when you do something like create a drop shadow for a separated object (over a white background), and want to trim to the edges. You can trim automatically without having to measure where the edge of the shadow ends.

Reveal shows you stuff that you may have moved off the visible canvas. Try this:

1. duplicate your background.
2. Choose the move tool and slide it left 100 or more pixels.
3. Click Reveal.

Your canvas size will change to encompass the image area you pushed out of the frame. This will work up to 30,000 pixels in any direction (there is actually a hidden matte on your images that extends this far). Reveal won't work after you crop an image, which should remove all hidden elements in the matte area.

OK?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2003, 10:04 AM

Trim Image

Thank you both Paul and Richard. I now can see where both of these tools can be useful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 12:54 PM

Richard,
I have not installed the tools as of yet because of ignorance on my part. I gather that there may be some incompatibility with Ling tools. Certainly if there were a global installer, location of the added tools in Recipes (in Elements V.1), and the mysticism were removed, that would be an inducement. Even production of a CD which one could purchase would be a good thing.
Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 01:19 PM

Lets discuss mysticism...What in particular do you want, and I'll try to develop exactly that.

OK?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 02:16 PM

Richard,
A guide on how to install these things, viz.
1. step 1
2. step 2
3. step 3.
As an example, the new book by Scott Kelby, "The Photoshop Elements Book," is particularly attractive because the steps in the techniques are so well delineated.
Sitting here at my computer I don't have an instructor to bail me out, so one would like to avail oneself with these enhancements without too much difficulty. Your work product is very useful. I use curves all the time, and am glad that I purchased the book. You certainly should be able to charge a fee for adding to the prior material, and that is why I think that development of a follow-up CD might be a good thing.
With warmest regards,
Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 02:22 PM

Been a little bogged down writing a different book...but I am starting to come around. I have a new tool I'll be releasing soon, and I'll be sure to make better documentation. I think it was hard for me to justify putting time into free tools to write extensive documentation, hoping, instead, to get that taken care of in discussion on the forum. The latter hasn't happened to the degree I would have hoped. While I think a free tool set is important, I am bending a little toward your idea with the idea of charging a few dollars to allow putting in the time to do it right.

If there are those reading this who disagree, please chime in.

Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2003, 11:11 PM

Personally, I prefer free and working out what to do myself (not that I've generally found the instructions on the free tools particularly difficult to follow).. I can see where others might disagree - but paying even small amounts for downloads in foreign currency means that I tend to not get them.
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support