RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

How to Change the Color Profile?

Old 10-18-2003, 06:52 PM

Hi Richard - I'm not sure what use an arbitary assigned profile is to PSE users, but I presume it is being used in the same way as in the full version...a conversion from the embedded tag to the current RGB work space so that the assigned colour appearance and LAB values get converted into the new space?

If this is so, I can forsee users wishing to tag camera, scanner, output or work space RGB profiles - and they could be any of these common or not so commonly found profiles.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2003, 04:46 AM

Stephen...

I am an enabler. I have put forth my suggestions for using (or rather not embedding) profiles in my book. HOWEVER, if someone wants to go that route, I won't tell them either "you can't" or "I won't let you" or "Elements won't let you". And no, Elements handles profiles a little differently than Photoshop -- there aren't as many controls. However, there are work-arounds. I probably know more than I should. I certainly know more than I put in the book. Some I didn't think were helpful. However not everyone works like I do.

In short, the solution I'd pose is perhaps profile-specific. If someone wants to embed some printer profile, I'd rather make the solution once than do a sample and then do it again.

I am not as dopey as I look, and I really know what I am doing and why I am doing it when it comes to my requests and suggestions. If you want to see more of the difference between Elements and Photoshop, you might want to start playing with the demo, or you might even purchase a copy ( Elements ). It would be the best way to explore the program -- especially if you are interested in posting advice on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2003, 04:59 AM

Thanks Richard - at the moment Photoshop and the other apps I regulary use are more than enough for me, but that is not to say that I am not interested in looking into PSE - just not interested enough for the large download demo on dialup. If I stumble over a demo CD then it will certianly get a look. I also want to look at Binuscan PhotoRetouchPro, but that will not happen fast either.

Due to my poor knowledge of PSE I try not to give advice on that app - but if a thread pops up where I think I can help - I will.

My point about the varous possible profiles was simply that there are many profiles that a user would wish to assign and they may not always know in advance that they need the ability.

If many folk find that they are wishing for this feature, this could be a lot of work. The common work space profiles (Apple RGB, ColorMatch RGB, sRGB and Adobe RGB) would be the most common, but there are also many input and output profiles which would be required too.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2003, 05:51 AM

I have an idea for the solution, and not necessarily the solution itself (though that may be semantics). Just like people said "you can't do CMYK in Elements" there are means of working on CMYK in Elements AND saving the results by exploiting DCS files (Elements can't save the DCS, but it CAN save the parts). The solution was born of knowing some things about image types and stuff that users might not normally even care to know. It was a solution created by looking at one specific problem, with a single desired result. That is how I work best.

I would want to try and create the solution at least for one person here, and perhaps this excursion will let me figure a way to get that power into the users' hands so that they can control it -- not so I can. Sometimes the solution is too cumbersome -- like the solution I have for 'recording' actions in Elements or working directly with Blend If settings. I can do both of these right in Elements, but I don't believe the solutions are things other people will really want to go to the trouble (and they are trouble) to employ. I didn't know till I tried. I won't know till I do this time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2003, 01:38 AM

Happened to have another question on the same subject so looked in a little further. Anyone care to test this out?

You can assign profiles using Print Preview, as suggested by Doug.

1. Open the Print Preview and check the Show More Options box.
2. Choose Color Management from the drop list.
3. Select the printing space ( the following is from Adobe's help):
"* Choose Same As Source if you want the printer to print the color of the image's color profile without converting it. This option will not take any printer profiles into account.
* Choose Printer Color Management or PostScript Color Management if you want to manage color conversions using the print driver. PostScript Color Management is only available when printing to a PostScript device.
* If available, choose a predefined color profile for your printer. These profiles are installed with graphics applications and print drivers. Choosing a predefined profile will result in an automatic color conversion when printing."

This is all you have to do for a local printer.

To embed the profile:

4. Click the Print button.
5. Set up the Print dialogue by choosing the proper Printer and Presets. select other options (number of copies, etc).
6. Click Save as PDF.

The profile will be saved with the PDF, which should be able to be transported to the desired printer. You may need to install a postscript driver in order to access the profiles. You can download Adobe's postscript print drivers from their site. If you need to change the format of the file, you need to retain the embedded profile while doing a conversion of file types.

Of course, many will claim this is impossible...though it seems to be built right into the program--and may be considered somewhat hidden, and mostly unadvertised.

do let me know if you have trouble with this. It isn't the original solution I was thinking of, but it certainly puts the power in the users hands.

Feedback?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support