RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Installing actions

Old 11-01-2003, 09:19 PM

I have PSE1.
I don't have PSE2.
I loaded your CD, the HP III update (and Ling's stuff).
I have a PSE1 folder with the CD files and Ling's stuff.
Under "Recipes" the HP folder has several HTML documents up to Index 4.
There is no "Other" folder in the PSE1 folder.
It seems to me when I downloaded HPIII, I got a separate folder called PSE2 (even though I do not have this version).
In the PSE2 folder there I find the "Other" folder:
PSE2/html palettes/welcome/other/ and then 1-7 actions and an index file.
I think you asked me to edit this index file as before. I did. After reloading PSE1, there is no indication of a Gothic Glow under the "Other" tab. This is where I often go to set a layer mask. Nor is the new action to be seen under sets 2-6 (set 1 has the frame effects). I can get at this "Other" folder either from the welcome menu or the recipes tab under Other. No sign of gothic glow.
What do you mean by "I'll have to see the file"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2003, 06:47 AM

Cricket?

Missed your call for help.

1. You should not be editing the Action file using a text editor, unless you are really really certain of what you are doing. For the most part you will keep the action you saved from PS7 as it is...you should change the name of the file and action in PS7.

2. What are you trying to accomplish by 'opening' the action? The action file is something that will be referenced by Elements and run behind the scenes...there is no need to open it to execute.

3. Have you read the advanced.rtf file that was installed with the free tools? This discusses a lot of the technical stuff you need to know.

Let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2003, 06:56 AM

Reimar,

The only other 'tab' is on the hidden power tools from the book in the Recipes palette. is that the index you are trying to edit? You might want to take a look there to see if the change occurred in the Recipes rather than the Welcome menu. I think what is happening is you are making the change in one palette and looking in the other for it. This may be why you are not finding the code you are looking for.

As to the file, if you forward to me or post, I can tell rigt away which file it is, rather than trying to have you describe it -- which is far more difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2003, 09:44 AM

After many hours, I got Gothic Glow in PSE.
In the end I'm not sure which edit did it since I edited more than three "action 6" index files, but here is how I get to it:
Recipes - snap actions comes up, but the Hidden Power link doesn't work. I Select a Recipe/Hidden Power/Hidden Power/Other/Actions/Other/Set 6 and there is my Gothic Glow. That's a whole lot of clicking to unearth a very buried action.

The action states "the command Channel Mixer is not available". I'm not very impressed with the effect of the action. Maybe it doesn't fully work in Elements.

Needless to say, between these updates, trying to load actions by changing folder names and Ling's interface, my files are a mess. But to avoid making things worse, I'm not going to try to clean things up. That would likely make things worse.

I have concluded that I don't like actions much apart from disecting them and finding out how they get the final effect. I'd rather do it myself in the end.

Thanks for your help Richard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2003, 10:36 AM

well, sorry to hear that...

As I have stated elsewhere, it is exactly this added complexity of files and interfaces that should not be a problem, but ends up being. It is caused by using more than one interface for the same thing...not your fault, the creator of that other design.

Why wouldn't you just use the Welcome interface to access? That is the way this was designed. It would be

Welcome/Other>action.

A lot easier than trying to navigate the other way.

Channel mixer will work in an action depending on how the action was recorded.

I won't push, but do hate to see your effort come to a sour end...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support