RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Installing actions

Old 10-26-2003, 08:38 PM

Installing actions

I have an interest to try the action made by fievel:

http://www.retouchpro.com/... ...hreadid=2653&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Frankly, I have not been able to follow the instructions for loading actions. I have HP actions Package III, but don't know how to add others. I'm not sure Feivel's action is compatible. Richard - could it be modified to fit?

I unzipped it and put it in the presets/actions folder using explorer. Step 1. says to download to the desktop!
For step 2. I can easily find empty folder tabs in my PS Elements 1. Step 3 says to open the welcome folder. Does that mean in explorer?
Step 4, I changed the name of the folder "Other" to "Other.inactive".
Step 5 says to move the "action group" (what is that?) to the welcome folder.
In Step 6 I'm renaming the new action folder (what new folder?) to the original name in step 4. You mean like "action 2" now becomes "Other"? How can this possibly load an action?
Step 7 seems to be back in Elements since we are now clicking the welcome menu.

I'm lost. None of this makes sense. Can anyone help?
Have mercy - I need some hand holding on this one.
Thanks so much.
Reimar
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2003, 04:08 PM

Maybe this isn't the right forum for my question. Any suggestions on where else to go?
Thanks
pbase.com/reimar
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 PM

me too

I am having the same problem though it looks like you have gotten farther than I have. I have created an action in PS7 that I want to have run in elements but I am stymied!

Cricket
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 01:42 PM

Cricket:

Did have a chance to read through the instructions on installing the add-on that were part of the download package? I've heard they have a lot of (gory) detail, but haven't seen them myself.

--------------

Reimar:

This is the right forum to post your question. Richard normally checks for questions on a regular basis. I understand he's working on multiple projects at this time, so be patient. He'll see it and respond soon, I'm sure.

There are three actions in Feivel's action set:
1. Read me
2. feivels gothic glow
3. C.O.I (Center of Interest)

1 - repeats the content of Readme.txt in the package, so it's of no value being an action.

3 - would take a lot of surgery to make Elements compatible, so I decided to pass on trying to convert that one. The results in 3 can be achieved by running 2, copying an original copy of the image on top of the one rendered by 2 and utilizing the HPE method for Layer Masks to selectively blend the two layers.

2 - I modified this action to make it Elements compatible, which is not the same as I know how to install it under Element. (I don't have Elements, but I know how to create Elements-compatible actions.). Once installed per Richard's specifications, it will run.

If you'd like a copy of this action, send me e-mail via my profile and I'll reply with the Elements-friendly action attached.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 02:49 PM

Information for installing actions is in the advanced.rtf file included with the install. In there are some details about adding actions. The short of it is:

1. have the action name and action file name handy.

2. Locate the index.html file you want to change (this may be an exising action set or a new one created from the template).

3. Open the HTML in a text editor and scroll down till you see this:

<tr bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1"><b> No Set Installed,
see instructions</b></font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>

4. Replace the "No Set Installed,
see instructions" with something to name your set (e.g., My Set). This will be the display name under the tab.

5. Change the first instance of:

<tr>
<td></td>
</tr>

to:

<tr>
<td><!-- Action 1: Add action 1 here by replacing 'actionfile' with the action file name and 'actionname' with the name of the action --><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2"><b>
<a href="playaction(actionfile.atn,actionname)">
<!-- Add a description by typing between here: --><!-- And here --></b></font></a>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<font face="Wingdings, Webdings"><a href="previews/1.html">$</a></font></td>
</tr>

So...if my action file is named: "thisaction.atn" and the action is "whatitdoes", you get this:

<tr>
<td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2"><b>
<a href="playaction(thisaction.atn,whatitdoes)">
The Thing I Want The Action Named
</b></font></a>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<font face="Wingdings, Webdings"><a href="previews/1.html">$</a></font></td>
</tr>

Regretfully you currently have to fuss with the HTML to install...I am going to look into a better way to get that done. I was hoping that action writers and developers were going to help out, but that hasn't happened. One of the few people I tried to help in development torpedoed my efforts by releasing her own interface to compete...That wasn't a big help. I've been continuing to learn new tricks, and I might have a few better solutions yet...but the weight falls on me--I guess because free isn't a very attractive incentive for people with development skills! Perhaps, as someone said, it may be time to charge a few bucks so I can justify putting in the time.

Please let me know if this helps or not.

Feedback of any sort, appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 05:29 PM

baffled!

This is completely baffling to me.

I have an action that I created in Photoshop 7. I can duplicate it and save it to another folder on my desk top. I have tried browsing to the file and can not manage to look inside the folder that I have saved the action to.

HTML: I can open Dreamweaver and navigate to the desktop to find my action folder. When I try to open it with Dreamweaver I get the message "failure to open document". So I have no chance of changing anything about the action.

The action created in PS is not a text file. Is that the problem? How can I change it so that it is a text file?

*sigh* I feel like such a dolt!

Cricket
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2003, 07:21 PM

Gothic Glow Action

I put Danny's action in index 6 of action 6 of "other" under the welcome menu of Photoshop elements 2 (even though I have version 1; I guess loading HP III did this):

<tr>
<a href="playaction(feivel_gothic_glow_pse.atn,general_interest_glow)">
Gothic Glow
</b></font></a>
<font face="Wingdings, Webdings"><a href="previews/1.html">$</a></font></td>
</tr>

But this appeared to have no effect. Re-loading photoshop E1 and clicking action set 6 still shows not sets loaded. I got the name of the action from the notepad. Maybe the name is wrong?

Reimar

Richard Lynch wrote:

So...if my action file is named: "thisaction.atn" and the action is "whatitdoes", you get this:

<tr>
<a href="playaction(thisaction.atn,whatitdoes)">
The Thing I Want The Action Named
</b></font></a>
</tr>
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2003, 06:51 AM

Do you even see the words Gothic Glow in the tab where you expect them to be? Have you placed the actions file in the Presets/Photoshop Actions folder?

let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2003, 08:15 PM

Yes the action is in the adobe/PSE/presets/actions folder. I see the usual "no sets loaded" in Elements under recipes for set 6 where I changed the code.
The action is in the PSE1 folder. The recipes sub-folder here has the four index files for the main set of HP tools.
I also have Lui (Ling Nero) stuff loaded, which of coarse confuses me also.
The code for sets 1-7 are in the separate HP III package that is in a folder called PSE 2 even though I only have version 1. I guess that's normal. Is there a problem with the code in one folder accessing the action in another branch? I couldn't find a "no sets loaded" line in any of the code in the four index files for sets 1-4 in the PSE1 folder.
So what I did was change the code in PSE2/welcome/other/action6/index.
Oh, I just noticed this folder also has a preset/actions folder. I just copied the action there too, but this had no effect. The recipes subfolder of PSE2 only has an index4 file.

OK, my head is spinning. I think I'll stop now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2003, 08:36 PM

sounds to me like you are doing too much copying and moving. Computers are pretty dumb when you come right down to it. You have a link from one place to the other, and if you move it, it doesn't work. don't haphazardly move things around or you'll end up re-installing.

I can't tell from your description exactly what is going on. You entered the code and put the action in the right folder...but when you look under the tab the action name isn't there? if that is the case, you aren't looking under the right tab. You said something about versions that i am also not clear on...you are running elements 2 or 1? Why do you think this is having an effect on the result? it shouldn't.

Lets try again. Right under the Other folder there is an index file. try altering that file (don't MOVE it) and let me know the results. After changing the link with the code you showed earlier, it should display when you click OTHER on the WELCOME screeen. if not, I'll have to see the file.

OK?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support