RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Healing/Mend Tool

Old 02-03-2004, 11:15 PM

Problem with unzipping mend tool on Mac

Me, too. I am using Mail and OS10.3.1. I even tried the maczip utility you reference in the readme file, but it keeps giving me an error -43, "can't save to...". Mail seems to automatically unzip the file when you save it, and I can't see anywhere in preferences etc to change the default utility to unzip files with. If you ctrl-click the attachment, it allows you to open the attachment with another program (Open with...) which is how I used maczip, but without success. Any suggestions? Where can I find another unzip utility?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 05:32 AM

I saved the zip file to the desktop from mail, and then used zipit to extract the files from the zip - I deleted the extracted version that stuffit expander had produced first (as by that stage I knew it wouldn't work, and I'd already had this problem before with the Paul Shipley add-ons that install in the same plac (I don't have them installed any more since the Great System Crash of Dec 2003...))

maczipit:
http://www.maczipit.com/

is what I used (it's shareware but you can try it for free, and once is all that you need in this case!)

Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 11:37 AM

No go

Susan...and Richard

Are you on 10.3? The attachment appears uncompressed when I drag it from Mail to my desktop. All the actions in the folder are there. Nothing left to Unzip. Is the uncompressing happening automatically? I think Dave and Wendy are having the same problem.

When I try to open the file from within Mail I get an error code. It's no go.

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 03:47 PM

Hi Susan,

Have downloaded maczipit ... When I double clicked on Mend+.zip a folder window came up with the mend folder in it and the read me doc. I then double clicked on the read me and it asked for a folder to unzip it to ... I told it and it went away and did it. Then I did the same with the mend folder ... so far so good BUT:

When I then went to the unzipped read me file and double clicked on it. I got the message access permission denied.

I then tried to install the unzipped Mend folder. When I opened Elements and clicked on Effects it started to build the cache but then came up with the message:

Could not complete your request because you do not have the necessary access privilages.

Am I doing something wrong?

Wendy

Last edited by WendyW; 02-04-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 03:53 PM

The file comes as an email attachment. It is automatically compressed by AOL and you should be able to both automatically uncompress and save the file for compression later. As there are a bunch of different ways to access email, I can't post instructions for all of them, you will have to consult your mail program help to find out how they work. However, I can give suggestions...what are you using to open mail?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 PM

Mark,

Are you using Apple Mail? .. if so have you tried:

Click on the E Mail attachement and hold down Control ... you will then get a sub menu. Take a look at "open with", that gives you options for opening the zip file.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 06:32 PM

Susan,

I found some more instructions on how to open zip files with zipit ... tried them out but no luck. Still getting the same error messages ....

Any ideas?
Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW
Hi Susan,

When I then went to the unzipped read me file and double clicked on it. I got the message access permission denied.

I then tried to install the unzipped Mend folder. When I opened Elements and clicked on Effects it started to build the cache but then came up with the message:

Could not complete your request because you do not have the necessary access privilages.

Am I doing something wrong?

Wendy
You've followed the same path that I did and it worked for me...(I'm on 10.3.2) Sound like you have a permissions problem here - check the info on the downloaded files and make sure that you have read/write accessto the files for your user...it's also possible that you have a more recent version of zipit which does something different - mine is a year old now...

Susan S
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 06:50 PM

I hate to see this kind of thing because it is something I can't control. Let's take an easy step back...

the problem seems to be with those who are downloading onto a mac, more specifically, 10.3+. I have 10.2.8 and have done all I can to mimic the problem and failed miserably at making it fail.

One thing you might blame it on is that whatever is unzipping on 10.3 has not been optimized for that. This in itself is not a solution. However, has anyone looked on the apple site to see if there are similar troubles? i am not the only one forwarding ZIP files from AOL to people on Mac.

One other thing to try (and this would require having the files that have failed -- which I don't have. If someone has a set please forward), try dropping the folder on your unzip utility a second time. What some utilities do is they don't unzip past a certain level, and if the files have been compressed in stages, the initial decompression will LOOK like they have decompressed, but the files will act like ZIP files...which may be the reason for the very unusual behavior when installed. Just drag-and-drop the whole folder again, then try replacing in Element.

Please let me know if this works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 07:02 PM

FWIW, I've had this problem about a year ago with 10.1.5, when trying to install Paul Shipley's tools, (which also install in the effects menu) - which makes it hard to troubleshot or find an explanation....and the copy Richard sent me did not come from AOL but from another email adress, so I may have received a slightly differently encoded version again....but I still got the probelm with the version that stuffit expander unzipped.
I have the latest version of stuffit, and I'm loathe to deinstall my working version to troubleshoot in more detail in case I can't get it back again! Must be very frustrating for you Richard - (and all those trying to install the tools on a mac).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support