RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Healing/Mend Tool

Old 02-05-2004, 03:59 AM

mac users should please try to use this utility to unzip the file rather than relying on their email client:

http://download.com.com/3000-2254-5040047.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW
Mark,

Are you using Apple Mail? .. if so have you tried:

Click on the E Mail attachement and hold down Control ... you will then get a sub menu. Take a look at "open with", that gives you options for opening the zip file.

Wendy

I've tried this already. It doesn't work. When I try to use Zipit I get an error message. Mac Zip as recommended by Richard is a pre OSX utility. Have you been able to get it to work? I saw your post at the Adobe forum. Once I move the file from Mail to desktop, I believe it is already unzipped as the contents of the Mend folder are there. So I can't unzip it from Terminal as suggested on the Adobe forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Richard,

The unzip utility you suggest in your post is not compatable with Mac OSX ... I tried that one as soon as Stuffit would not work and all I get is a series of error message to do with OSX, despite having loaded it into Classic.

I am using 10.2.6 so it doesn't seem to be just related to 10.3

Using the utility Susan suggested it is not possible to run it through again as it will only work on files that have a .zip ending. Stuffit will not either ... so I am unable to try that one out.

I have forwarded the file, as unzipped by Stuffit, to you. The other one will not attach as it seems to have major problems.

I have downloaded many things before and Stuffit has always worked so I know my system is set up OK.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 12:55 PM

Mark,

What error message do you get when you try zipit?

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Mark,

What error message do you get when you try zipit?

Wendy
Something like -1409
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM

Susan,

The version of zipit is now 2.2.2 ... I have tried it on several other .zip files and it does them fine.

You said in your message "check the info on the downloaded files and make sure that you have read/write accessto the files for your user" .... Sorry I don't understand how to do that and do you mean the files from Richard or the Unzip file.

As I said above the Unzip has worked OK on the other .zip files I have tried it on.

The Mend file when unzipped using Unzip will not even attach to an email it puts the image of a sheet of paper on the email. If you click on it ... the message is (mail was unable to extract the attachment "null").

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM

Susan,

Just realised what you mean't. I clicked on the unzipped (Using Zipit) Mend folder then did Info (Apple I) and the user access was read only. I have changed it to read/write then installed it in Elements ... I now have 3 icons in Effects/Mend Pallette.

Haven't time to check if it works now but will do so later this evening and let you know.

fingers crossed
Wendy

Mark ... Try dumping the Mend folder and any connected files from your desktop. Then go to Richards original email and start again. Try to move a copy of the .zip file using the instuctions I gave you before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Susan,

Just realised what you mean't. I clicked on the unzipped (Using Zipit) Mend folder then did Info (Apple I) and the user access was read only. I have changed it to read/write then installed it in Elements ... I now have 3 icons in Effects/Mend Pallette.

Haven't time to check if it works now but will do so later this evening and let you know.

fingers crossed
Wendy
Wendy -I'm sorry I wasn't clearer - but I'm glad it looks as though my guess was accurate (I spent three hours the night before last trying to get the Sims unleashed to work, and that was (one of) the problems I had there....!). I'm not sure why your permissions got tangled like that - I have the same version of Zipit.

Mark - I'm not sure what is going on with your files - there should be an option in Mail in the email message to save the attachments - just a button to click.. Doing this in mine just saved the zipped file to the desktop and I could unzip it from there. I have pretty much the same set up as you I think (G3 imac running 10.3.2) and I'm not sure why it is different unles you have your mail preferences set up differently...there is also a save attachements command in the file menu which allows them to be saved anywhere - try saving to the desktop, delete any unstuffed version that comes up and then use zipit to unzip.
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 05:20 PM

Well it works!!.

So the way I did it was:

Moved a copy of the .zip file from the email to the desktop
Downloaded Zipit from maczipit:
http://www.maczipit.com/
Let Stuffit unzip it
Then I went to the Zipit folder double clicked zipit
File>Open ... selected the .zip file
Edit>Select All
Zip>Extract
And saved the unzipped folder (Mend) to the desktop
Clicked on the mend folder and held down Apple and I
this brought up the file info
Went to Ownership & Permissions and changed the Group Access and Others from Read only to Read and Write
Clicked on ... Apply to the enclosed item.

I then placed the Mend folder into the Effects Folder. Applications\Adobe Photoshop Elements 2\ Previews\Effects

Deleted the Previews Cache. Applications\Adobe Photoshop Elements 2\ Previews\Cache

Restarted Elements.

Now all I have to do is work out how to use it.

Thanks Susan and Richard for all the help

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 05:26 PM

Hi Susan,

We must have been typing at the same time ... just wanted to say thanks very much. Not sure I would have managed it without you.

Great that its working and also I have learned something new

Regards
Wendy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support