RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Healing/Mend Tool

Old 02-05-2004, 06:04 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW
Well it works!!.

So the way I did it was:

Moved a copy of the .zip file from the email to the desktop
Downloaded Zipit from maczipit:
http://www.maczipit.com/
Let Stuffit unzip it
Then I went to the Zipit folder double clicked zipit
File>Open ... selected the .zip file
Edit>Select All
Zip>Extract
And saved the unzipped folder (Mend) to the desktop
Clicked on the mend folder and held down Apple and I
this brought up the file info
Went to Ownership & Permissions and changed the Group Access and Others from Read only to Read and Write
Clicked on ... Apply to the enclosed item.

I then placed the Mend folder into the Effects Folder. Applications\Adobe Photoshop Elements 2\ Previews\Effects

Deleted the Previews Cache. Applications\Adobe Photoshop Elements 2\ Previews\Cache

Restarted Elements.

Now all I have to do is work out how to use it.

Thanks Susan and Richard for all the help

Wendy

Wendy,

I changed file permissions but still no go. I don't know what these steps are about

File>Open ... selected the .zip file What zip file? I don't see zip on my Mend folder

Edit>Select All
Zip>Extract

Nothing on my Mend folder has a .zip on the end. And when I save it to the my desktop it appears to be already uncompressed (104kb). Now I'm getting really frustrated. This shouldn't be so difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 06:27 PM

Mark,

When you go to Richard's original email ... does the file (on the email) say mend+.zip (16.4KB)?

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW
Mark,

When you go to Richard's original email ... does the file (on the email) say mend+.zip (16.4KB)?

Wendy
Wendy,

No...just Mend+

What are you doing up so late? Aren't you in UK?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 06:54 PM

Mark,

The file should be Mend+.zip .... maybe Richard needs to check it for you ... something strange has happened to it.

Yes I am in the UK but do tend to stay up late ... its now nearly 1AM so I guess its time I signed off.

Hope you get something sorted out soon.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2004, 11:00 PM

I tried the Maczipit utility that Susan used, but I still get the same problem in PE, that is all I see in the Mend window is an icon called "original" that does nothing. I have tried deleting the cache again but this doesn't work either. I am on 10.3.1 and use Mail (by Apple). Mail does appear to automatically decompress the file, but if you ctrl-click on the attachment, you pull up a menu that allows you to open the file with another utility. This is how I decompressed the file with MacZip and with Zipit, but no luck with either. The files are there in both cases; the mend.psd has 3 layers, I can read the readme, the actions have the appropriate icons, but PE doesn't seem to recognize them. Perhaps it has something to do with Panther (10.3)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 AM

OK, so here's what I had to do to get this to work. I have been on OS 10.3.2, and nothing I tried worked, so I changed my startup disk to an external drive with OS 10.2.8. I then started up PE on my hard drive and what-do-you-know?, the actions now work! PE gives me a message saying "some files needed to run PE in OS X are missing, ...reinstall it" (I didn't) but everything seems to work anyway. Now here is the wierd part. I shut down, restart using 10.3.2 again (so I can post a message saying the actions don't work in 10.3), restart PE, and NOW the actions work!

Anyone have any ideas? My guess is 10.3 organizes program information subtly differently than 10.2.x, and that PE under 10.3 requires something more than placing the mend folder in the previews/effects folder to work. (Or that PE in 10.2 automatically places the info from the effects folder into some other folder as well, but this step doesn't function in 10.3?) Starting PE up in 10.2.8 seems to have automatically fixed this. I'll look into the PE files to see what, if anything, has changed, but this will have to wait 'til tomorrow--reading over this paragraph just fried my brain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2004, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_m

Anyone have any ideas? My guess is 10.3 organizes program information subtly differently than 10.2.x, and that PE under 10.3 requires something more than placing the mend folder in the previews/effects folder to work. (Or that PE in 10.2 automatically places the info from the effects folder into some other folder as well, but this step doesn't function in 10.3?) Starting PE up in 10.2.8 seems to have automatically fixed this. I'll look into the PE files to see what, if anything, has changed, but this will have to wait 'til tomorrow--reading over this paragraph just fried my brain.
Good theory - except mine worked fine in 10.3.2, once I'd used zipit rather than stuffit expander...I may have also deleted Elements prefs as well as the cache file without checking whether it was necessary as I found I needed to do this with the Shipley tools to get them to work - but I can't remember whether I did this on the unzipped version as well as on the unstuffed version (where it didn't help) ...it's a bit of a mystery this one...
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2004, 04:38 AM

It seems like the 10.3 saga discussed by dave_m confirms Susan's experience...10.3 must do something in preferences to retain information from the effects cache (though that seems unlikely). My bet is that the change to 10.2.8 saw the cache was deleted and re-wrote it -- like it should have. There is a missing link there somewhere. It may have to do with users and ... administration. However, the solution for 10.3 users would seem to be:

1. DOWNLOAD the zip file (instead of using native stuffit to unzip). It doesn't matter that the file has no apparent extension. It may be a preference whether you see it or not.

2. Unzip using maczipit (which must use a slightly different algorythm, or as I have stated elsewhere, some utilities may only unzip one level of files -- someone might try dropping the once-unzipped folder on unstuff a second time...).

3. Delete the cache for effects. Find this in the Elements program folder:
Applications>Adobe Photoshop Elements 2>Previews>Cache

4. Delete the Elements preferences. Find this in the USER PREFERENCES:
System>Users>[your user name]>Library>Preferences>Photoshop Elements 2 Prefs. You can delete the entire preferences folder either physically moving it to the trash, or by restarting Elements and holding down Command+Option+Shift when you restart Elements. Keep holding down the keys until you get the confirmation for deleting all preferences, and accept that. Preferences will be rebuilt to factory defaults.

I'll add the delete Preferences for Mac users to the instructions.

The only thing I am noticing here is that there is a Paths file for Elements, and I am not at all sure what that does. Someone might try removing that before the preferences to see if it is the culprit...not having the problem I can't test it.

I would assume the problem may be that Adobe will need an update for 10.3 (which was not around when Elements 2 was created). I would be surprised if Adobe bothered to put out any type of fix before releasing PE3 (whenever that comes out...if it does). One of the reasons I DON'T update my OS as they come out (and sometimes a hidden cost) is there is always lag time between an OS release and programs catching up to it (or bugs being washed out). I'm pretty happy with 10.2.8, and Elements seems to play nice with it.

Please Please let me know of success and/or failure with the instruction change -- especially if you are an OS 10.3 user having the problem...I will have other things coming out and want to know if I should find yet another installation solution before I bother. Thank you all for your interest and dilligence in working around the problem. I hope we can turn to discussing USE of the tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2004, 06:11 AM

Richard - I'm still not sure whether or not I did delete prefs the second time - but it's still worth a try. I'm still not convinced it's a 10.3 issue as I had exactly the same problem with 10.1.5 installing Paul Shipley's add-ins into the effects menu. I've not had any problems with 10.3.2 installing anythig else into Elements (and as I reformatted my harddrive before installing 10.3, I have reinstalled Elements and both the book tools and HPA3 with no problems under that OS). The problem seems to be unique to installing through the effects menu and occurs in various flavours of OSX.

Susan S..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2004, 08:29 AM

As I had no issues using 10.2, and have not had reports of issues from those on OS 10.2, I have to assume it is a 10.3 related problem. In any case if someone follows the suggestions (use the right zip utility, delete cache, delete prefs), I would be surprised if they came back with install problems...it really can't get much easier than unzipping a file and placing it in a folder. That is not to say people aren't having genuine problems, but the issues are not related to the tool or the distribution. I can only do so much from my side of the computer terminal. As to OS10.3, it may be something as simple as there is a node missing on some code tree that needs to be created and is initiated by removing the preferences and once there it knows to check -- who knows. All I know is I can't reproduce the problem. Doing all these things should take care of it. If not, I look for something else.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support