RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Healing/Mend Tool

Old 02-06-2004, 12:02 PM

Mend tool install success

I believe that I've finally gotten it to work. In Effects the three crosses appear and they respond to clicking. I must say, using MacZip is not a slam dunk. I had to approach the unzipping in several different ways and finally one of these approaches worked. Unfortunately I don't remember my steps should someone else have the same difficulty. I will try to find my approach should someone else have the same problems.

Well, now I'm going on to the next step and trying out Mend.

Upon reading your discussion regarding 10.3 problems, I must say, that did not seem to be the issue for me and so I don't think it is OS X.3 related. It sounds like Wendy, Dave and I have resolved our problems in three entirely different ways. I'm puzzled.

Richard, I have not had any problems ( except email won't work with PSE 2) with my upgrade from 10.1.5 to 10.3. I would highly recommend it.

BTW: Richard or anyone, do you have an image that I can practice on to use the Mend tool? Richard mentioned that he was going to put up an example on his web site. Maybe this would give me something to learn on. Otherwise, I'll have to tear a photo and scan it. Let's see, any old photos of ex girlfriends laying around here?

Last edited by Mark 7; 02-06-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2004, 12:50 PM

Well ... I'm still using 10.2.6 and not too sure if I should upgrade on the iMac or not. However we have just ordered an iBook so that will come complete with 10.3 ... will let you know how I go on with that.

I suspect that now it is unzipped there should be no problems.

I hope

Glad to hear that we now all have it installed

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2004, 09:12 AM

John H

Mend Tool v. 1.0 really works very well on my iMac OS 10.1.5. First, as Richard had to remind me to follow the instructions in the Readme.html. First, Stuffit would not expanded the Mind + .zip correctly, yes I tried it and it would not work in PE2. Downloaded zipit, to expand it, but it would only work in the "classic", but it expanded it too "Mend+.zi0" folder. Then it worked in PE2. At first I could not figure out what I was doing, as I thought the Mend tool was about the same as the Clone tool. I should have know better, with what Richard has put together in HPPE 2 and his newsletters. Again not following the instructions in Readme.html III. TO APPLY 1 - 11. You must double-click the Mend_Setup icon, which sets up the clone layer and clone tool. Make repairs, then I double-click the Mend icon and it does the magic and allows me to make settings. The final repair is to good to be true. I have never used the healing brush in Photoshop, but this Mend Tool is FANTASTIC. Thank you Richard Lynch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2004, 09:24 AM

Mark,

Just notice the last section of your message ... if you want to practice on something then just load any image and using the brush tool simply make a mark on it. One you have done that you can practice removing it.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2004, 09:31 AM

Richard,

It is now working fine and I am "healing" everything in sight!. Just a quick question .....

When I have finished an area and wish to "heal" another area in the same image ... I need then to flatten the image ... is there any workaround I could use so that I could keep the original layers open in case I want to do more adjustments?.

Additionally, by accident I merged just the colour and tone layers and doing that changes the colour etc ... what is happening that causes this? ... Just curious really!

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2004, 10:06 AM

jdhagin: Thank you for emphasizing the instructions. I realize many are impatient to get to the result, but the basic steps are certainly important as you note here. I am glad you like the tool -- that's the first real reaction to what it does, I think!

>> When I have finished an area and wish to "heal" another
>> area in the same image ... I need then to flatten the image ...
>> is there any workaround I could use so that I could keep
>> the original layers open in case I want to do more adjustments?

Well, I never thought to try that, only because the goal of the correction would be to commit it...You see, once you make some changes, you will sometimes want to sample from the Mended spot. There might be a way to change this up to do what you want, but it wasn't designed for it (at least not in this version). Additional applications will flatten the image -- it was just a better way of dealing with all the potential layers.

>> Additionally, by accident I merged just the colour and tone
>> layers and doing that changes the colour etc ... what is
>> happening that causes this? ... Just curious really!

The adjustment layers are Luminosity and Color modes, and when you merge them they switch to Normal mode (which is 'normal'). It isn't really possible to achieve the same effect using one layer, unless, perhaps, you copy the background under the Mend, paste to a new base layer, and merge those three...you'll then have the right result on a separate layer -- and I guess you can make changes by duping the layer, changing to the appropriate mode, and making a grouped adjustment.

So, in other words, what i just said you couldn't do, you probably can...but the image will still flatten between applications if you use the Set-Up. There is potentially the option of manually creating the clone layer and running the mend (as you would using the 'patch' instructions at the end of the readme). If you test that out, I'd be curious if it works!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2004, 04:42 PM

Richard - From Wendy's and your comments the final version must be a little different from the beta that I have....my copy finishes the action by merging everything up into one layer and I don't have the option of playing with things in that way - if there is a significant difference I need to buy the final version, I think!
I really like the tool - it's very good in particualr at wrinkle removal and lightening of dark shadows under the eyes, which are harder to do with the clone tool alone

Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2004, 06:03 PM

Hi Richard,

Thanks for all the information it has helped me understand some of background.

I did a try out by:

Using the mend set up & mend for the first "heal" then manually created the clone layer above the tone and colour layers. Then used mend and it worked fine until it gave the message:

The command group is not currently available.

Am I right that this command simply links the three layers? ... if so it is easy enough to do that manually and it leaves all the layers intact !!

Thanks for all the help

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 05:56 PM

Problems unziping mend

I had the same problem as Wendy, but was able to correct it by using MacZip crypt downloaded from the url in Richard's email for installing mend.
I first copied the enclosed zip (intact) to the desktop and then dragged it into the MacZip icon.
MY original attempt to unzip with default Stuffit would not install. Stuffit must do something to the files to corrupt them. I hope this is of some help.
Aloha, Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2004, 05:43 AM

>>Am I right that this command simply links the three layers? ... if so it is easy enough to do that manually and it leaves all the layers intact !!

That would be what it does. If you don't link them, you can't just hit Command/Ctrl+E to merge at the end...so that would be up to you. Thanks for testing!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support