RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Healing/Mend Tool

Old 02-20-2004, 09:30 PM

Mend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch
The file comes as an email attachment. It is automatically compressed by AOL and you should be able to both automatically uncompress and save the file for compression later. As there are a bunch of different ways to access email, I can't post instructions for all of them, you will have to consult your mail program help to find out how they work. However, I can give suggestions...what are you using to open mail?
Richard,

I am still having problems. I have tried everything the other people here have tried and no go.
I use OSX 10.3.2 Mac Mail. Mail un-compresses the file automatically, I never see the compressed file.
How can I get a compressed file to un-zip?

Thanks for the help
Jack
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2004, 07:43 AM

You need to be able to isolate the zip file. As I've suggested, depending on your email client, the means of doing this will be different. You might try saving the email, dragging the attachment file to the desktop, or looking in the help files for the program you use to read the email. A search of your hard drive may also reveal the file stored in some temporary area or download folder.

Once you have the file isolated, you need to use an unzip utility. There are a bunch around, and I will list some of the options here for Mac:

Maczipit:
http://www.maczipit.com/

Stuffit Expander (OS X users choose .dmg version 8):
http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/download.html

MacZip (you need Classic/OS 9 installed):
http://download.com.com/3000-2254-50...ml?tag=lst-0-1

ANY of these programs should work...however, they may, conversely, not all work on the first try.What you need to do is:

1. Choose a utility
2. Download the utility
3. Install the utility (um, this may actually require some type of expanding!)
4. Drag the zip file to the utility icon.

At this point the utility should expand the files. HOWEVER, the utility may also not expand the different levels of the zip. You can take care of this by;

1. Note where the 'expanded' files are -- these are the resulting files from the previous steps. It should be a readme.html file and the Mend folder.
2. Drag the mend folder to the unzip utility a second time.

This really should take care of the problem, no matter what utility you are using. I have tried all of them and they all work. A really radical approach might be to download AOL's software, create an account, forward the email to that account and download the file from there. You may already have (and likely you do) unzip utilities in your system as part of browser and email software 'helpers'. You may be able to change the preferences for the utility that gets used.

Unzipping a file SHOULD be the easy part of this, but regretfully, due to various reasons (mostly the plethora of ways that email is handled) it can be a little troublesome. You need to get the latest download and unzip utilities for OS X, and will, most likely, have trouble using older versions. You may have to learn to use your email software, which will, most likely, allow download of a file without unzipping; read the help files, or turn off automated decompression in the software preferences. It would be impossible for me to list instructions for every email package in use.

Please let me know if you have continued trouble. Please name the email software and let me know the steps you are taking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2004, 09:56 AM

Thumbs down Mend

OK Richard I got it to work.

I use mail, the one that comes with OSX 10.3.2, there is on way, that I can find, to change the settings for compressed files.

I moved the un-compressed folder to the desktop, then using MacZip 1.0.6 zipped the folder them un-zipped it. This gave me a Mend folder with a extension name of Mend.ziO, did all the rest of the stuff in the instructions for installing and presto... it works.

Thanks for all your help and I hope this helps others.

Jack
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2004, 11:00 AM

I suspect that many OS X users use the mail program, but i am not one of them. Can you please let us know how you achieved saving the file to the desktop?

About the saved file, it may not matter at all that it is Mend+ or Mend+.zip. My suspicion is that you can drop the saved folder into the Utility for unzipping and skip the zipping step.

let me know, and thanks for keeping at it! I sure a few people will benefit from your effort.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2004, 09:09 PM

Mend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch
I suspect that many OS X users use the mail program, but i am not one of them. Can you please let us know how you achieved saving the file to the desktop?

About the saved file, it may not matter at all that it is Mend+ or Mend+.zip. My suspicion is that you can drop the saved folder into the Utility for unzipping and skip the zipping step.

let me know, and thanks for keeping at it! I sure a few people will benefit from your effort.
I tried many programs to just drop the folder on but until I zipped and unzipped it again it would not work.

Just dragging the folder off mail places it on the desktop however it’s unzipped at that time.

This method also worked on my iBook, it too had the same problems as my G4.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2004, 03:28 AM

Well, sounds cludgy, but if it works I guess it'll have to do. Thanks for taking the time to respond, and perhaps it is enough of a solution for other people with the problem to go on!

Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2004, 03:12 PM

Smile Success installing Mend tool on a Mac

I too was initially unable to get the Mend tool to install properly into PSE 2 running on my iMac 17" G4. I believe that the problem was with Mail's automatic decompressing of the Mend+.zip file. My workaround was to forward the email from Richard containing the Mend+.zip file to a friend with a PC. I was then able to detach the Mend+.zip file, save the file on a disk, load it onto my Mac, decompress using Zipit, and install it following Richard's directions. Voila! The missing icons appeared in the Mend dropdown under Effects and it works just fine.

Regards, Jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2004, 06:35 PM

A new solution for mac users that I heard was as simple as this: Open the Mend.psd with Elements and resave, then restart elements...

I can't test as i can't get it to NOT work...but perhaps someone else can?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support