RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Can't install HPE2 tools from CD.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:40 AM

Talking Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbi
Just tried that; unfortunately, same result. After clicking on the final Install button, HPE2 gives me a busy cursor, but nothing happens after that. Clicking and holding on its Dock icon shows an Application Not Responding menu item. But if I launch Activity Monitor, it shows HPE2 still running, and gobbling up over 60% of my CPU activity!

Can you verify that anybody's installed this successfully under 10.3.x Panther?

Thanks,

Steve
Okay, I solved this one! Panther offers an option to maintain a copy of your .Mac iDisk on your desktop, which is then automatically kept synchronized with your actual iDisk on Apple's servers, in the background. I suspect that the installer was confused by the presence of the iDisk. I had something like this happen not long ago when installing another program -- the installer, which also searched for certain files before installing, took around 20 minutes to search the iDisk, and seemed to actually be searching over the Internet! In the case of HPE2, there was no evidence that this was going on (no activity lights on my cable modem blinking) but somehow, the Installer was still bolluxed up by the presence of the local iDisk copy.

Anyway, now you know what to ask the next person with this problem: "Do you keep a local copy of your iDisk on your desktop?"
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 05:43 AM

Edit - unecessary! Glad you got the problem fixed. I wouldn't have thought of that.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan S.
Yes, I successfully got the installer to run, copying the files into a dummy Elements file (I didnt want to run the risk of overwriting my own installation which has other stuff in it - it was originally made in 10.1.5) both from the flash utility and the standalone installer. I'm running 10.3.2 on a G3 600mhz (snow) imac.

My last suggestion is that when installers won't run permissions may be a problem - have you checked that all the permissions are OK? - running repair permissions (from the disk utility) is good practice before and afer running installers in OSX.
The other possibility (although I would guess less likely) is the CD could be faulty - have you another machine available that you could try it out on? -

Susan S
Susan --

See my last post -- I solved this by disabling my local iDisk mirror (an option with .Mac accounts under Panther).

Thanks... and man, you're up early! ;-)

SF
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbi
Susan --

See my last post -- I solved this by disabling my local iDisk mirror (an option with .Mac accounts under Panther).

Thanks... and man, you're up early! ;-)

SF
I'm in Australia! (10.20 pm here!)

Susan S
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 05:51 AM

Glad that was solved. SEE: had you just waited it out, the installer would have installed after searching the iDisk (and whatever expanse of the internet). Also, the "disconnect all peripherals" suggestion in the installation instructions should have worked as well, as that would cut off internet access.

Susan, while CDs can be faulty (very very rare from my experience), the application would probably not even kick off in that case -- if it was available. But, again, thanks as always for your suggestions and your 10.3 expertise!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan S.
I'm in Australia! (10.20 pm here!)

Susan S
OH...LOL!

Steve
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support