RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Change layer to graphics layer?

Old 03-08-2004, 10:03 PM

Change layer to graphics layer?

I'm a newbie and this is my first attempt at a post.

In Elements is it possible to change a layer into a graphics layer? In Photoshop it is accomplished in the layer menu>type >render layer. I want to vary the transparency of each letter of a word by 10 %, for example, without having to put each letter on its own layer. I tried the fade effect in the HP tools and using the opacity control but it only worked on the entire layer. I could not find a way to do each letter individually on one layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlnmn@comcast
I'm a newbie and this is my first attempt at a post.

In Elements is it possible to change a layer into a graphics layer? In Photoshop it is accomplished in the layer menu>type >render layer. I want to vary the transparency of each letter of a word by 10 %, for example, without having to put each letter on its own layer. I tried the fade effect in the HP tools and using the opacity control but it only worked on the entire layer. I could not find a way to do each letter individually on one layer.
If you want a gradual fade, then add a layer mask to the text using the HPA3 tools, then draw a black/white gradient across the mask - the text will show 100 per cent where the mask is white, not at all where it is black and partially where it is grey. (if you want to vary the fade in discrete steps it is just a matter of colouring the mask behind each letter the darkness of grey to give the right amount of fade.

Layer/simplify layer will turn a text layer into an ordinary layer (same effect as render layer in PS, I believe).
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2004, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan S.
If you want a gradual fade, then add a layer mask to the text using the HPA3 tools, then draw a black/white gradient across the mask - the text will show 100 per cent where the mask is white, not at all where it is black and partially where it is grey. (if you want to vary the fade in discrete steps it is just a matter of colouring the mask behind each letter the darkness of grey to give the right amount of fade.

Layer/simplify layer will turn a text layer into an ordinary layer (same effect as render layer in PS, I believe).
Susan S.
Susan, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2004, 04:26 AM

While you can use a layer mask, as Sue says, you might also try this:

1. Make a new blank layer below the type layer and name it Letter Mask.
2. Make a selection of the first letter and fill the Letter Mask layer with the opacity that you want to see it in the final result (for example, change the Fill Opacity for the Fill function, before filling).

NOTE: you can make the selection roughly by using the rectangular Marquee tool, or you might Command/CTRL + click the type layer, then draw a marquee holding Option/ALT+SHIFT, which will retain only the selection area that the marquee covers.

3. Repeat selection and filling for each letter (you can do this individually, or in groups).
4. Link the Type layer and Letter Mask layer, then press Command/CTRL+G to group them. This will do two things: it will cause the type layer to be masked by the opacity of the Letter Mask layer, and it will group the position of the layer content.

You may be able to get some interesting effects with additional masking and filter application...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=Richard_Lynch]While you can use a layer mask, as Sue says, you might also try this:

Thanks Richard, I am back and will give yours a try. With Susans idea it worked but as the letters faded the layer styles I had on them disappeared. Is that the way it is supposed to be? It didn't look good at all.
Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=trvlnmn]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch
While you can use a layer mask, as Sue says, you might also try this:

Thanks Richard, I am back and will give yours a try. With Susans idea it worked but as the letters faded the layer styles I had on them disappeared. Is that the way it is supposed to be? It didn't look good at all.
Pat
I didn't know that...just tried it and you are quite correct. Most curious - any amount of masking - even very pale shades of grey on the mask makes the layer style disappear. Is this a PS thing or a peculiarity of the layer mask as applied to elements?

Richard's method (of course!) works and preserves layer styles - and by using a transparent to foreground gradient on the grouped layer (make sure you have a selection in the shape of the text first - I couldn't get grouped layers to work as a mask for text because was forgetting this important step!) you can get the same gradual fade that I suggested with the layer mask AND preserve the layer style.

Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 06:09 PM

Unhappy Making a graphics layer

2. Make a selection of the first letter and fill the Letter Mask layer with the opacity that you want to see it in the final result (for example, change the Fill Opacity for the Fill function, before filling).

Richard,
Is the letter layer a plain layer or a fill layer?
Paragraph 2 is not clear to me. (I'm not the most intelligent when it comes to masks) Each time I try to move my text selection to the letter mask layer it makes a new layer and I lose the styles. What am I dong wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlnmn

Richard,
Is the letter layer a plain layer or a fill layer?
Paragraph 2 is not clear to me. (I'm not the most intelligent when it comes to masks) Each time I try to move my text selection to the letter mask layer it makes a new layer and I lose the styles. What am I dong wrong?
I'm not Richard but I can try to answer the question:
The Letter mask layer is a new transparent plain layer - not a fill layer. Use the Edit/fill command to fill the selection.
Select your text by activating (clicking on) the text layer in the layer palette and then using your selction tool of choice. Then click on the letter mask layer on the layer palette - you don't need to move the selection - the selection that you have made will just work on whatever layer is active.

(Trying it again I've just noticed that you do lose any drop shadows, outer glows, anything that appears outside the text from the layer styles doing this - because of the need to do a text selection. If you simplify the text and the layer style together before you select it the shadows do come along too - but this obviously means the text and the layer styles are no longer editable.)

Susan S
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 09:16 PM

Talking Graphics layers

Great! Thank you Susan and Richard, I got it figured out and with some practice I will be able to do great things with this idea.

Another question on it. After I linked the letter mask and the text layers I tried to reposition the text. The text moved but the mask didn't. Is there a way to move the text and mask after I have and grouped the layers?
Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlnmn

Another question on it. After I linked the letter mask and the text layers I tried to reposition the text. The text moved but the mask didn't. Is there a way to move the text and mask after I have and grouped the layers?
Pat
Yup - link the text and the letter Mask layer together - if the text layer is the one currently active, then on the letter mask layer in the layer palette click on the little empty box next to the eye symbol. A chain should then appear indicating that the two layers are linked and they can then be moved around together (they can also be transformed in other ways - eg stretched up one using the free transform etc command and both the mask and the text will transform together.)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support