RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Mend+ Tool download problem

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Dan Dan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 4
Mend+ Tool download problem

Richard: Having trouble downloading "Mend+." I see the Unzip program flash briefly, but there isn't anything on the desktop. On the first try, Sherlock found a Mend+ folder tucked away in a Library sub-file. When I tried to open, it turned grey (unopenable) and has since disappeared. Subsequent tries at downloading produce nothing except for the brief Unzip flash.

I'm running OS 10.1.5 and PSE2 is located in OS 9 Applications.

Am I doing something wrong? Help, Dan
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 03-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Susan S. Susan S. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Richard: Having trouble downloading "Mend+." I see the Unzip program flash briefly, but there isn't anything on the desktop. On the first try, Sherlock found a Mend+ folder tucked away in a Library sub-file. When I tried to open, it turned grey (unopenable) and has since disappeared. Subsequent tries at downloading produce nothing except for the brief Unzip flash.

I'm running OS 10.1.5 and PSE2 is located in OS 9 Applications.

Am I doing something wrong? Help, Dan
I presume that by downloading you are referring to getting it from your mail reader. What email reader are you using? Apple's Mail reader will not play nicely with this file (I think it may be an AOL - mail incompatability - there are documented incompatabilities for attachements sent to AOL adresses using mail, and it appears that this may be true in the other direction too......) I've now got the final version of mend and the only way that I could get the file in a zip format that could then be unzipped so that Elements could read it was to forward it to myself, close Mail and use another mail app to read it and extract the file- my ISPs webmail reader didn't work, but Entourage did.. I'm on 10.3.2..Every version of OS10 seems to have its own problem with this file....
susan S
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 03-12-2004, 05:22 AM
Richard_Lynch's Avatar
Richard_Lynch Richard_Lynch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,105
The strangest thing about OS 10 having trouble with this file is that IT WAS CREATED on OS 10. I have heard no complaints from PC users.

The problem as Susan suggests is not the file but the email client you are using to read the file. It is trying to unzip for you, and fails. A quick, free solution is to create a yahoo account (hotmail, or other free email account), forward the email to yourself there, download the attachment and unzip with one of the suggested utilities.

if you continue to have trouble, email me.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 03-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Dan Dan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 4
More Mend+ problems

Found "Mend" under "Effects," but when opened, I see only the sailboard icon with the label, "Original." the rest of the panel is blank. Checked the Mend folder in Previews/Effects and all the items are there.
In frustration, Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch
The strangest thing about OS 10 having trouble with this file is that IT WAS CREATED on OS 10. I have heard no complaints from PC users.

The problem as Susan suggests is not the file but the email client you are using to read the file. It is trying to unzip for you, and fails. A quick, free solution is to create a yahoo account (hotmail, or other free email account), forward the email to yourself there, download the attachment and unzip with one of the suggested utilities.

if you continue to have trouble, email me.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 03-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Susan S. Susan S. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Found "Mend" under "Effects," but when opened, I see only the sailboard icon with the label, "Original." the rest of the panel is blank. Checked the Mend folder in Previews/Effects and all the items are there.
In frustration, Dan
Dan - that's pretty standard unfortunately for those who are having problems with OSX. The things that worked for me in OSX are - use a mail reader other than Mail (Entourage certainly works in 10.3 at least). Get the zip file onto your desktop. Unzip with something other than stuffit expander into the correct locations (I used Zipit 2.2.2 - it's shareware but works if you don't pay the fee, just tries to make you feel guilty about it...). Delete the Previews/cache file and restart Elements; for good measure you can reset Elements preferences as you restart - hold down the comand, shift and option keys as you start Elements. This worked for me. Some users (I think in 10.2) have also had error messages/problems involving incorrect file permissions - this can be corrected by using the get info command from the finder on the mend folder and ensuring that all users have full read and write permission to all the files in the previews folder...

Let us know what (if anything) works. This is very frustrating for all concerned...
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 03-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Dan Dan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 4
Mend+ continuing problem

Susan: Thanks for your timely reply. Tried everything you suggested, twice. Still unable to see anything under the Effects/Mend icon except the word "Original." Looks to me like I have a basic icompatability with Richard's software. The effort/reward equation is too lopsided for me to continue. I give up. Once again, thanks for all your efforts, Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan S.
Dan - that's pretty standard unfortunately for those who are having problems with OSX. The things that worked for me in OSX are - use a mail reader other than Mail (Entourage certainly works in 10.3 at least). Get the zip file onto your desktop. Unzip with something other than stuffit expander into the correct locations (I used Zipit 2.2.2 - it's shareware but works if you don't pay the fee, just tries to make you feel guilty about it...). Delete the Previews/cache file and restart Elements; for good measure you can reset Elements preferences as you restart - hold down the comand, shift and option keys as you start Elements. This worked for me. Some users (I think in 10.2) have also had error messages/problems involving incorrect file permissions - this can be corrected by using the get info command from the finder on the mend folder and ensuring that all users have full read and write permission to all the files in the previews folder...

Let us know what (if anything) works. This is very frustrating for all concerned...
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 03-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Richard_Lynch's Avatar
Richard_Lynch Richard_Lynch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Looks to me like I have a basic icompatability with Richard's software.
This is entirely unlikely. This would mean that Adobe software cannot create files compatible with its own software. I assure you that from the beta program that Adobe uses (and which i have been involved with) and their dilligence, nothing so simple as this would have seeped through the filtering. The problem is the unzipping.

I don't want to make it a practice, because it should be unnecessary, but if you REALLY need it, I will forward a SIT file to you instead of a ZIP, and i assume your email client will handle that correctly. Please contact me directly to request the replacement, and include your name and mailing address.
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 03-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Susan S. Susan S. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 139
It is possible to install actions into the effects menu in Elements on a mac running 10.1.5 that will run in Elements 2 - I've done it! (not with Richard's stuff though - another source) But I can't remember exactly how I did it, apart from the things that I've already mentioned, but I do remember it being a painful process... Richard have you tried emailing the zip file from an account other than your AOL one? I've still got a sneaking feeling that may be part of the problem at least for later versions of OSX as something in the way that AOL compresses the files is making Mail in particular unhappy. I had less problems with the beta version of mend which as I recall came from your other address. There are documented imcompatabilities in Mail help for attachments sent in the other direction. But there is a more general issue - clearly this is a problem with zipped files in all versions of OSX rather than Richard's files in particular... stuffit expander should be able to provide a usable file by default. (and it doesn't - this affects files other than Richard's which need to be installed in effects in Elements)
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 03-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Richard_Lynch's Avatar
Richard_Lynch Richard_Lynch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,105
that AOL source can email as a ZIP or SIT. It is very convenient and part of my process to mail through AOL. The files created should be COMMON files (consider the position of AOL). That is, they are files that will be decodable on PC or mac. it has NOTHING to do with the original files. The originals work, mind you, I test EVERY ONE OF THEM. Otherwise i wouldn't charge even as much money as I do. People who request additions are suggesting the need to spend yet more time...I can assure the tool works. i can't solve every OS or user related problem without individual attention. i would hope it insn't necessary, but i try.

Please forward ALL details of problems you have which you feel are not resolved. The files will definitely work on Mac or PC, and should be easily decoded by either platform.

Richard Lynch
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 03-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Susan S. Susan S. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 139
Dan - the one thing I forgot to suggest (which didn't help me but has apparently helped others having problems) is to try rezipping the folder and then unzipping it before installation...
Richard - I know how much effort you go to to get this stuff to work, I know it's not your original files that are the issue - I was only trying to help by narrowing down the source of the problems. I wasn't criticising....

Susan S
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RETOUCHING: How far is too far? jjjay00 Photo Retouching 10 05-03-2007 09:18 PM
Problem with Magnetic Lasso Tool albatrosss Photoshop Help 4 01-29-2007 07:30 PM
Comments on Mend Tool pm3009 Hidden Power Support 1 05-26-2005 11:52 AM
Mend Tool - Patron Info button error. jimlay Hidden Power Support 6 02-29-2004 01:49 PM
Hidden Power Tools: Layer mask tool problem Rich10 Photoshop Elements Help 2 12-01-2003 05:50 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved