RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Mend: a problem at III.6

Old 05-04-2004, 06:26 AM

Mend: a problem at III.6

Macintosh OS 10.3.3

I have installed the Mend+ folder in Applications\Photoshop Elements 2\Previews\Effects; I have deleted the previews cache; I have restarted PSE while holding the four keys down.

I have brought up an image in PSE. I have opened the layer palette and the effects palette, and on the latter have selected Mend+ from its drop-down. I then see one icon, labelled "Original." I don't know what is meant by the "Set-up icon." I have double-clicked everything I can see at this point and I see no clone layer appear, and no screens appear that tell me what next to do.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 12:14 AM

There have been a number of threads addressing this issue - if mend has installed properly you should see four icons in the pull down - if you are just seeing one then it hasn't. This appears to be a Mac mail/AOL issue - Mail does not unzip files sent from AOL correctly. If you aren't using mail as your mail reader the problem can also arise by using stuffit expander to expand the zip file. You need to get the zip file out from the email as a zip file and then use a utility such as Zipit to extract the files before installation.

I solved the issue by forwarding the email with the attachment to myself, opening with Entourage rather than mail, which gave me a zip file to unzip and unzipping with Zipit. ( My ISP's webmail reader also wouldn't work, oddly)

Other reported solutions include finding the missing icons mysteriously appearing the next day...may be a reboot fixes it?
Richard suggested in one post: "Open the Mend.psd with Elements and resave, then restart elements..". but as Richard can't replicate the error this is untested.

Hope this helps

Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 04:25 AM

The folder should not be named Mend+. It is my guess that there is another folder inside the mend+ folder named Mend. Please move the Mend folder outside the Mend+ folder and delete the Mend+ folder. With this done the Mend option should appear in the drop list and you'll be on your way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 04:58 AM

I now have PSE 2>Previews>Effects>Mend, and that folder contains Mend.atn, Mend.psd, Mend_Setup.atn and Patron_Info.atn. I have deleted cache, restarted PSE and seen the rebuild. With an image open I select Mend from the Effects dropdown and a sailboat icon appears, labelled Original. I cannot identify a "Set-up icon" on the effects palette that I could double-click to begin a process. I have doubleclicked everything I see before me without effect.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2004, 05:32 PM

installation problems

I an unable to install the mend tool, or the dynamic images tool. I can upzip the files, and I see the folders when I check, but the tools do not show up in my effects pallette. I deleted the cache folder and restart Elements, holding down the appropriate keys, but I get no prompt about rebuilding. I have gotten a question on whether I want to delete the elements settings file _ is that the same as rebuilding? Please advise - Thanks. I have Windows ME.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2004, 07:18 PM

Problems of this sort are usually occuring because people are either not putting the tools inside a single folder named appropriately, they have not unzipped the files, they have not deleted Cache, or not rebuilt preferences. When you hold down the suggested keys and do not get the prompt, you need to try it again -- and hold them down more quickly. Try, also, restarting your machine. it isn't the problem with the tools so much as it is getting the system to recognize them as it should.

Please post a screen shot of your Previews directories with the tool folders open -- I believe that will be most educational and make the problem solving easiest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2004, 08:56 PM

installation

I am not sure what you mean by posting a screen shot of the directories --

This is what is see when i go under my computer and cook at the folders -
Under previews: I have cache, effects and filters
Under effects I have frames, image effects, mend_, test effects, testures and Dynamic_Images
Under Mend I Have a Mend folder and a read me file
Under the mend folder I have DS_store, Mend.atn, Mend.psd, Mend_setup.atn, and Patron_Info.atn

Under Dynamic Images I find Dynamic Images and read me.
Under that Dynamic Images folder I have DStore, Hidden Power Bascic Color.atn,Hidden Power Dynamic.atn
Hidden Power Dynamic.psd

I continue to get no prompt about rebuilding when I restart Elements. The only question that appeared was one asking if I wanted to delete theElemnts setting file, and I tried clicking yes - hope I didn't goof things up more.

Now when I click on the effect in the palette bar I see A listing for Mend and Dynamic Images but no sub categories. and the word apply is not clickable.

As you can tell, I have not much experience in this.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 PM

installation worked

I figured out that I was including the read me files when I moved the tools into the effects folder. Dynamic image is now working - I just need practice.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 01:42 PM

Thanks for following up. Glad you are up and running!

Screen shots are just pictures you take of the screen so other people can see what you are looking at. to do this on a PC press the Print Screen button on your keyboard, then go into Elements and choose File>New From Clipboard.

I think I'll have to start putting installed screen shots in the readme files...Thanks for helping me come to that conclusion!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2004, 06:13 PM

re installing mend and dynamic elements

I have spent hours trying to install mend and dynamic effects on elements 2 on os 10.1.5 I unzipped with maczipit and the image and mend files'contents are as described. They were placed in the effects folder and cache is deleted. But after I restart Elements, and immediately holding down command/option/shift, the only message I get is "delete the PSEsettings file? I say yes and when elements comes on, the tools are in the effects folder, but only original is shown. I cannot get the option to rebuild preferences.Below is a picture of the effects folder contents.
Original.psd
Mend
Dynamic Images
Image Effects
Text Effects
Texture
Frames

I also tried restarting the computer at different stages, but that didn't help either.I have the Hidden Elements book and look forward to trying these tools but I don't know what else to do. Very grateful for any suggestions. Nora

Last edited by nora; 06-23-2004 at 09:08 PM. Reason: to clarify
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support