RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Where is Mend's "set-up icon"?

Old 05-06-2004, 05:09 PM

Where is Mend's "set-up icon"?

Macintosh OS 10.3.3

I have PSE 2>Previews>Effects>Mend folder, and that folder contains Mend.atn, Mend.psd, Mend_Setup.atn and Patron_Info.atn. I have deleted cache, restarted PSE and seen the rebuild. With an image open I select Mend from the Effects dropdown and a sailboat icon appears, labelled Original. I cannot identify a "Set-up icon" on the effects palette that I could double-click to begin a process. I have doubleclicked everything I see before me without effect.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 04:59 AM

I posted a possible set of solutions to this problem in answer to your last post on your subject - have you tried any of these? (and if so which ones so that we can see where you are at)

Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 11:52 AM

Thank you, Susan. Several of your suggestions had to do with unzipping files. as you see from reading my question closely the file has been successfully uncompressed and is right where Richard has told me to expect to find it. I do not use MacMail and I stay far away from AOL. I have, of course, restarted PSE and then rebooted when my problem remained. If you have suggestions based on the specific circumstance I have outlined I would be delighted to implement them. I have wondered if I should remove the four elements of the program that I have detailed from their folder within Effects and dispose of the empty folder, but have believed that Richard has instructed me to drop the entire Mend folder into PSE>Previews>Effects
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 03:57 PM

If those files aren't showing up when Elements is opened, then the compression has not been (fully) successful! The files are there but Elements does not recognise them.
I can replicate this this problem in 10.3.3 using mail (which does its own decompression of zip files), using my ISP's webmail (which also does its own decompression) and using Entourage followed by stuffit expander to unzip the zip file. Using Stuffit expander also fouled up other zipped actions installed in the Effects menu from another source, (the Paul Shipley add-ons) so this problem is not unique to Richard's stuff. I needed to use Entourage followed by Zipit, and then delete the cache etc.

Have you tried opening the mend.psd file in Elements, resaving and then deleting the cache? If that doesn't work (I haven't tested it, it's from someone else's suggestion) then I would try a different decompression utility.

The files need to remain in the mend folder to show up under the Effects menu in their own category.

Susan S
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 04:58 PM

You certainly are patient with me. I don't have Entourage, and have always found Stuffit Expander to work for me. When I run each of the four parts of Mend through Expander again I am told that there does not appear to be compression present. I have deleted cache and restarted. I have emptied and reinstalled. Still my Effects pulldown tells me that Mend is present, but opens nothing. I will continue my portage back to PS 7 each time I need the function - it is only a baby step to get there.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Preuss
You certainly are patient with me. I don't have Entourage, and have always found Stuffit Expander to work for me. When I run each of the four parts of Mend through Expander again I am told that there does not appear to be compression present. I have deleted cache and restarted. I have emptied and reinstalled. Still my Effects pulldown tells me that Mend is present, but opens nothing. I will continue my portage back to PS 7 each time I need the function - it is only a baby step to get there.
Larry
In this case stuffit expander just does not work - I had the same experience trying to rerun the "expanded" files through stuffit expander. You really need to go back to the original zip file and use Zipit (it's free working trial, and then low cost shareware) to expand. I've no idea why this is so, and it is a real PIA - it's been a problem for at least three or four versions of stuffit expander and certain Elements files (back to the beginning of last year when i was using 10.1.5). Did you try opening the Unstuffed Mend.psd file in Elements and then resaving, followed by deleting cache? I'd be interested to see if that one works as it's an easy fix for those who are having problems.
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 06:01 PM

Susan, I have been with PS since v.3 and am fairly comfortable with it. I bought PSE 2 for my baby sister (the 63 year-old one) and bought the Dummies book so that I could shepherd her through her first instruction in graphics manipulation.

Then I discovered Mr. Lynch's book, and was delighted. His workarounds and his in-depth explanations fascinated me. I bought Mend only as one more excercise to see if I could keep this old mind working. It is the most difficult program I have tried to mount, let alone use, in my twenty years on Macintosh and there is a good possibility I should move on to deeper consideration of others of Mr. Lynch's beautiful demonstrations. I grow more and more jealous of my days and years. Thank you again.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 09:00 PM

I thought I posted this solution, but apparently something went wrong. Please do this:

Open Elements
Open the Mend.psd file in elements
Save the file by the same name to the same place without changing anything using Save As

See if that helps. If so, Susan, as always, was right. the decompression did not decompress.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2004, 04:51 AM

Thank you for the response. I did just that again, saw the"Patron" logo and its layers open in PSE, saved As with the same name in the same place and Mend, though it shows in the Effects pulldown, does not open. I had questioned the suggestion that Stuffit had not worked, as it worked quite well in decoding the tools from the CD, which had been compressed with StuffIt Installer Maker, and I assumed the same tool had been used for Mend's compression. A Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2004, 07:45 AM

Richard, I think I may have misunderstood you in your last note. You said,

"Open Elements
Open the Mend.psd file in elements
Save the file by the same name to the same place without changing anything using Save As"

In order to open the Mend.psd file I had to go through Applications>PSE2>Previews>Effects>Mends>Mend.psd. Once I found this I opened it, choosing to do so with PSE2, and then saved with Save As, in the same place with the same name. I hope that is the procedure you visualized. But, my pulldown in Effects in PSE2 lists Mend but does not open it.
Larry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support