RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Some HP actions no longer exist, it seems

Old 05-23-2004, 12:04 AM

Some HP actions no longer exist, it seems

I purchased HPE over a year ago, installed HPAII from the CD, got things working fine, and installed HPAIII on top of HPAII a while ago also. All seemed to be fine.

Today, I went to HP (via the Hidden Power link in the How To menu), and found that only "Set 1" seems to be available. Sets 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 say they are not installed.

In the HTMLPalettes Folder, within the Welcome Folder, are 6 folders labelled action1 through action6, all of which have items in them.

I could, of course, reinstall PSE, and then install HPAII from the CD, and then HPAIII again, I suppose, but wonder if there is something I should do first.

(Do I presume correctly that HPAIII is not a superset of HPAII, but contains some items that HPAIII does not?).

Further investigation turns up something interesting. If I manually open up index.html in action1, I see that action1 is Bud's Frames I. But, Set 1 from within PSE is labelled "Hidden Power Effects", and has a variety of glow effects.

It appears that somehow I have mucked things up a bit, though I don't know how. Any hope short of a reinstall?

I'm running PSE on a Mac G4 Tower with OS 10.3.3.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2004, 06:58 AM

The extra set tabs were set up so that users could add actions. If you take a look at the other discussion from yesterday on similar topic, I have been surprised over the long-haul at the lack of interest in creating stuff for Elements from those who create actions. I'd hoped they would pitch in. Susan S. will perhaps have the time I don't to do a few conversions? I'd gladly post these. If there were some people who wanted to help out, I would be glad to get their stuff (with their name) in a book revision when I do that...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2004, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still confused. If the other sets are for future use, why do I have 6 folders called "action1" through "action6" in the "welcome" folder? (I obviously don't really understand the structure of what makes HPA work--I apologize for the ignorance).

On the other point (and this may also show my ignorance), is the lack of others jumping in to create actions due to the fact that in order to do so, one needs both Photoshop AND PE, and that most of us with PE don't have access to Photoshop? (Just speculating...).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2004, 02:53 PM

If I did not put the folders in you would get some pretty ugly errors.

Actually, those writing actions would have PS only, and they really don't need Elements at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2004, 12:53 AM

If people have suggestions as to actions they are interested in I'll be happy to have a bash - with the caveat that if they are rewrites from existing actions I'd need permission from the original authors, otherwise I'm violating their copyright. It'll take me a little bit of effort to get up to speed on actions writing, and work out what can and can't be done, although I have some idea of the basics. I have Elements now, and I am hoping to get my copy of CS in the next few days (birthday present!) - I'm currently using the trial.

Susan S
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2004, 05:31 AM

If you need any help with anything, I'd be glad to help you move along. While it may be redundant to some extent, checking out what Ling has done and going back to convert the best of those may be a great place to start...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support