RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

I am hoping someone can help me!

Old 06-05-2004, 05:08 PM

I am hoping someone can help me!

I am new to Hidden Powers of PE2. I have tried to get actions to load and can not do it. I end up with a page cannot be displayed error when I click on the tab. I have followed the directions and tried it more than one time and in different folders. I tried it in the other folder just like Richard said in the directions. I renamed one other.inactive and the new one other.....Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. I have tried to do some of the actions on adobe exchange studio.

Thank you,
Angie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2004, 11:37 PM

Hi Angie:

Welcome to RetouchPRO. Always nice to have another Elements' enthusiast among us.

Be patient. I'm confident that one of the Elements' action heads (if not Richard Lynch himself) will be along soon to help get you past this obstacle.

My contribution is with regard to: "I have tried to do some of the actions on adobe exchange studio."

Many actions that you download from AES (and other sites) will work just fine with Elements. Beware, however, there are some that will not. Based on he symptons you described I doubt that's the stumbling block here, but just file this little tidbit away for future reference.

Are you experiencing the same symptoms from any of the Elements'-certified actions from www.HiddenElements.com?

Hang tight...

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2004, 12:45 AM

Many actions simply will not pay on Elements, simply becasue the authors name the actions with a name starting with capital letters. Once that is fixed (which can be done fairly easily in the demo version of PS6 which doesn't expire, but can save actions but not documents) many will play. Others will need some editing to get them into Elements friendly form (using adjustment layers instead of image adjustments for example).
Having said that, the "page cannot be displayed error" sounds more like an error in the index.html file for the relevant action set, rather than in the action itself. If the action can't play it tends to just not respond.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2004, 04:25 PM

Hi Danny,
No the actions in the Hidden Elements work just fine. This only happens when I try to put one in using the directions. I don't know what else to do.

Susan,
Thank you for trying to help me, I will work on this some more probably next week.

Angie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2004, 03:15 PM

I think I am having the same trouble. I get lost and confused on the adding of new downloaded actions. Ok I dl'ed an action called "Akkia's rusted text.atn" that I assume will make my text look hmmm well .... rusted
If you could please go thru the steps after I dl (to My Downloads) to get it in the menu so I can run it. Do I have to rename folders? (other.inactive) Where do I put the .atn file? Also on the preloaded actions--I was trying to make the word Preacher using the gold text action, it would not fit in the area the action creates for me to type in, when I try to change canvas size the action goes on with out me typing my word...how would I make long text?
sorry for being so lost and confused any help is appreceated
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2004, 09:18 AM

Confusion

Sarn, you have a lot of questions for just one reply. It sounds to me as if you need some one-on-one hands on help. Are there any classes you could take in a nearby community education class? In lieu of that, you can transform your type by using the Edit>Transform method. That should fit your text into the space you have. You can also create a new blank palette and close out the one automatically created with the action. I do that all the time.
Where to store your action (.atn) is up to you. However, I would strongly suggest that you create a new folder somewhere to store all extra stuff such as actions. Do not store it in Photoshop if you can possibly help it. If Photoshop crashes (and mine has a couple of times), you will lose all of that downloaded stuff. You can get to your extra folder by using Preferences in the edit menu. Also, creating a rewritable cd (you can add to those) protects your downloads from being wiped out when your computer crashes as well.

Above all...don't be afraid to use the HELP provided with Photoshop. It can be an invaluable tool for remembering and using the little stuff.

Good luck.
Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2004, 10:08 AM

Janet:

Your heart's in the right place. After reading this it appears to me Sarn is having difficulties with implementing actions using the Hidden Powers of Photoshop Elements. That's out of my league. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the PSE folks like Susan or Richard Lynch pops in soon. Richard is usually right on top of these types of questions.

Sarn: Be patient...

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2004, 06:56 PM

Yes my main problem is how to get an action I downloaded into the Hidden Powers menu so I can run it. The instruction seemed confusing to me maybe just because I am new to the photoshop elements world. It sounded to me that AHinNC was haveing the same trouble, getting new (not the built in ones) loaded in and running. Thanks for bearing with me though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2004, 07:01 PM

Sarn - the details for how to install actions into HPA3 are in the advanced.rtf file that should have been part of the HPA3 downlod. The action itself needs to go into the prests/photoshop actions folder (I'm assuming that Windows has the same folder structure as the mac) . Then you need to create an html file that will call the action - either using an html editor or by filling in the gaps in the template that Richard has provided using a text editor. The instructions are there in the rtf file.
Potential problems: you need to know both the name of the action file and the name of the action within the file to write this html. If the action wasn't written specifically for Elements then you probably won't have this second piece of info and it's also likely that the action name won't be all in lower case alphnumeric characters- which Elements requires. If it isn't it will need to be renamed amd this requires access to full version PS or a PS demo. (the PS 6 demo is useful as while it can't save images it can save actions, and doesn't time expire - but may well be hard to find now!) The action itself may well run without any further tweaking, but it is possible it will require further editing - not all actions will run first up in Elements, but many do. (if you can link me to the action I can have a look at it in CS and make a guess as to whether it will work in Elements- without permission of the creator I can't modify it and make it available for any one else though as it's a breach of copyright)

I haven't tried the gold action (I prefer gold layer styles - there are some good ones on the Adobe download site - as they are more flexible for such things as type size and position)
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2004, 05:45 AM

Thanks Susan!

Sarn,
If you find that the action does not work in Elements, please send me an email and I'll try to convert it for you (I've not met an action that would not convert!).

Richard
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support