|Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series|
| ||Thread Tools|
HP tools won't install on XP home
I check this forum every day and for some reason this message did not show up as new yesterday; I'm not sure how that happens--it may have to do with refreshing my browser. Eventhough I am a slight late, I think you'll find my response time quicker than most authors...Some have none at all.
Anyhow, the tools DO install on XP; I use XP at work and Mac OS X at home -- though I also have a Win 2000 PC, and an older Mac system with OS9. All have the tools installed. What is probably happening here is one of the many little things that can go wrong on particular systems, rather than there being a problem with the tools. If i had to venture a guess it would be one of the same common problems:
1) Use the browse button (looks like [...] ) to locate the installation folder rather than typing it in.
2) Be sure virus and disk protection are off. You can turn them back on once the installation is complete.
3) Be sure you are typing in the password correctly (no caps). check the spelling one more time in the book...sorry if you have done that 100 times already.
4) Be sure you are logging on to the computer as a user that has rights to install software (not all of them do).
5) If you are on a network or have a live internet connection (like cable or DSL) disconnect from those. This may be an extreme case, but some people have unusual connections that interfere with normal processes (like an internet hard disk). This may often work because it forces users to restart...
6) Be sure you have Elements 1 or 2 installed BEFORE installing the tools.
7) Be sure you wait for the installation to complete. usually it takes less than a minute, but if your system is slow or some other process is slowing you down, it may take a bit longer.
8) Try restarting...you may be using a lot of system resources with open programs or services...and this MAY be enough to disable them. Take a look at your program tray and see if there are a bunch of things running there...if so, you may have something getting in the way of the install, likely set up to protact your system.
The installation troubleshooting stuff I wrote up can be found here:
If you still have trouble, I could use a screen shot of what you are looking at. I am not sure what you mean by 'blanks out'. You can take the screen shot with a screen shot utility, or press the Print Screen button on your keyboard, and paste the image into Elements (There is a New from Screenshot or clipboard or something on the File menu--can't remember the name off the top of my head...New > Image from Clipboard). If you are taking a picture of a single dialog, use ALT+Print Screen.
are there other problems on your system?
have you ever installed any software to your system before?
Let me know.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Announcing: Elements Newsletter, Tools, Book and Classes||Richard_Lynch||Hidden Power Support||0||03-30-2006 09:54 AM|
|Can't install HPE2 tools from CD.||rebbi||Hidden Power Support||15||03-02-2004 05:03 AM|
|HPA III install problem||dpnew||Hidden Power Support||1||03-02-2004 04:58 AM|
|Localized version of Tools||dbirkholz||Hidden Power Support||2||06-03-2003 07:55 AM|
|tools missing in PS7||gblount||Software||12||12-29-2002 07:18 PM|