Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Action Packs!

Old 11-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Doc MP
I am disappointed about the lack of enthusiasm for others to develop or convert actions for elements....

Is it really that hard? I mean, no need to give a detailed explanation, but what skills does it take to convert an action already written? I can imagine it is one thing to overcome the lack of a channel mixer in a pre-written action, but for the more simple ones, is it a big mess?
My .02 (or maybe .03):
* Having converted some of my actions to be PSE compliant (for Richard) I can say that as long as one has accurate and complete specifications (or PSE limitations if you will), converting most actions isn't a big thing.
* It can, however, be very challenging to bring complex actions into PSE compliance. For example the new PSE3 restriction against "actions calling actions" could stand in the way of upgrading popular actions like some of those in the Bud Guinn Frames collections. As I recall Bud used this technique fairly often.
* Since actions can only be written and modified in Photoshop, what incentive (other than the satisfaction of doing a kind thing) does a typical Photoshop user have to convert actions that already work on his computer?
* Along the same lines I sense that many $500 PS users (still) look down their noses at (and are somewhat resentful of) less than $100 PSE users and are inclined to "hold onto" one of the few major differences remaining between these two programs.
* IMO to do this right (quality-wise) one should have PSEx and the HPPE actions add-on installed (or know someone who does) in order to test / certify the modifications. While not required, many PS users would not go out of their way to acquire and install Elements or HPPE tools.

I believe you gotta love doing this kind of thing, enjoy doing it for no reward other than personal satisfaction, have the time to do it and, ideally, PSEx and the HPPE add-on installed. That eliminates a lot of folks who listen to radio station WII-FM (What's In It - For Me?).

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support