RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Action Packs!

Old 10-27-2004, 03:34 PM

Action Packs!

I found the power in actions for HPE2 and LOVE IT! Can anyone point me to where I could find some more HPE2-PSE2 Certified actions (e.g. those that have been found to definitely work in PSE 2)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2004, 05:06 PM

Sorry I missed your question, but better late than never...

You found the Elements compatibe actions available at the HPPE site, right?

http://www.hiddenelements.com/freetools.html

There's an alternative method called SnapActions. Save theory as HPPE, but different implementation SnapActions and HPPE add-on can co-exist.

See: http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/PE2stuff2.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2004, 07:41 PM

I've said repeatedly that the snapactions package can't do anything Hidden Power can't. The actions there are easily converted to hidden Power, and the reverse is NOT true. many people are confused by the two packages...I wish we could stick to one. Both are free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2004, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch
I've said repeatedly that the snapactions package can't do anything Hidden Power can't. The actions there are easily converted to hidden Power, and the reverse is NOT true. many people are confused by the two packages...I wish we could stick to one. Both are free.
After rereading the original post I realize now Doc was looking specifically for HPPE compatible actions, not PSE-compatible actions in general as I had originally thought. Had that sunk in I would not have suggested he investigate installing SA as an additional source of PSE compatible actions.

It's probably moot anyway. The original question was posted over a month ago and went unanswered until yesterday.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2004, 08:26 PM

Thanks to you both!

Actually, I still have been trolling for a response and appreciate both of you weighing in. Your post was helpful, Danny, in that I have been able to download some additional actions from that site, but have chosen to use them in the HPE interface.

In terms of being moot, maybe you or Richard could help me understand..... I now own PSE 3 and am waiting until December to get the new tools that Richard has developed to get actions going again in PSE 3. I know that the interface has changed from PSE 2 to 3, but will those PSE 2 actions themselves have to be rewritten or can those elements-compatible actions already out there still be used?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2004, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc MP
Actually, I still have been trolling for a response and appreciate both of you weighing in. Your post was helpful, Danny, in that I have been able to download some additional actions from that site, but have chosen to use them in the HPE interface.

In terms of being moot, maybe you or Richard could help me understand..... I now own PSE 3 and am waiting until December to get the new tools that Richard has developed to get actions going again in PSE 3. I know that the interface has changed from PSE 2 to 3, but will those PSE 2 actions themselves have to be rewritten or can those elements-compatible actions already out there still be used?
Hey, Doc:

Glad you found some value in my reply.

re: Will PSE 3 run actions originally made compatible for PSE 2?
My bet is, "Yes." As I understand it from Richard the underlying "plumbing" is different between 2 and 3 which required him to remodel the HTPE add-on. Sort of like "You'll still be able to drive the same cars (actions), but will need to park them in a different garage."

Richard will know for sure.

~Danny~

p.s. You hitched your horse to the right wagon. Ling (the SnapAction developer) told me recently SnapActions for PSE 3.0 was not in her plans. Based on his track record, Richard will be around for the long haul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2004, 07:37 AM

> Based on his track record, Richard will be around for the long haul.

Yes, i will. To me the long-haul was never a question.

As far as actions are concerned, I had to change the deployment to the Effects menu. At once this is easier and more limiting. Easier because the installation does not require knowing HTML, and more limiting as each action has to be in its own set (the Effects menu has categories so things can be segmented). That may mean re-recording (or editing) actions. There have also been changes prompted by the shift...actions can't reference other actions (at least not that i have found), and some of the functionality has changed. For example, steps taken by an action are not held in undo, so actions recorded to take a step backward will likely fail.

My tools will NOT move directly into Elements 3 -- neither the ones from the book or the free tools. the Mend and Dynamic Image tools which I released later will work in PE3.

What specificaly are you looking for?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2004, 08:43 AM

Actions

I see that it will be a little more complex. For actions, I mostly use the ones like Bud's frames, text effects, 10D workflow, and some of the noise reduction and sharpening actions. Do you think there will be a starter set of actions like there was when the HPE tool came out? Hopefully, more people will help to get a nice library of PSE 3 certified actions set up over the next several months.

Thanks again to both of you for your replies!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2004, 09:01 AM

> Hopefully, more people will help to get a nice library of PSE
> 3 certified actions set up over the next several months.

I can pretty safely say that almost no one was interested in helping develop or convert actions -- even people that were making money off of them! I don't know why that is. If we can get a list going here, and/or get some people interested, I would be glad to promote their stuff -- so long as they work WITH me... that other tool set was a result of someone working with me for a while, and then deciding it was best to just take the idea and run. I can't guarantee I'll have tons of time to convert actions myself, as I may be picking up a very demanding project over the next few months.

I'd make a good try at it though!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2004, 04:07 PM

Go figure...

I am disappointed about the lack of enthusiasm for others to develop or convert actions for elements....

Is it really that hard? I mean, no need to give a detailed explanation, but what skills does it take to convert an action already written? I can imagine it is one thing to overcome the lack of a channel mixer in a pre-written action, but for the more simple ones, is it a big mess?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support