Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Seperating image into spot colors

Old 11-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Seperating image into spot colors

Picked up Hidden Elements a couple months ago but got distracted and haven't got around to reading very much of it yet - I obviously need to do that but in the meatime I've got something that I'd like to accomplish this evening.

If you could, please check out the "Feast of Snakes" (from the cover
of a Harry Crews book by the same name) image -

I'd like to seperate the orange-ish from the black/gray through PE2. I'm hoping that doesn't require zooming in and selecting the contents of each scale because that's not something I think I have the patience for. I'm really looking to seperate the image into spot colors for screen printing purposes.

I don't have the book here in front of me but I'll be flipping through it in a couple hours when I get home.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2004, 07:11 AM
I've been waiting for someone to ask a spot color question...

I didn't cover spot color separation in the book because it is similar to the means of extracting black in a CMYK separation except, perhaps, a bit more difficult. First you must determine how many spot colors you have, then determine what those spot colors are, then extract the information from the existing image. If, like the image you have represented here, the original has gone through several levels of change (JPG compression, and conversion to RGB from spot colors), there is that much more to do to get it 'spot' on ;-).

Can i ask what the end result you are seeking is? If it is just a tone conversion, there is no need to extract the color component.

Let me know.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support