RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Software won't work

Old 12-14-2004, 03:59 PM

Software won't work

I just received said book today and tried to install the software but it won't work. The software defaults to installing to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\... There is no dialog box for me to choose an alternate directory to install to. The install software even lists the hidden password as being found on page 23 of the book which it isn't; I found it elsewhere. I don't have version 2 of the book so I can't say whether or not the installation process is a holdover from that and hasn't been updated for version 3.

My working directory is C:\Photography\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\... so I manually move the [book] program files to the proper directory and they still won't show up in the styles/effects palette. Has anyone else had any problems with the install? I tried the website listed in the book but it's for version 2 and as such, there are no updates yet to reflect the new version and potential problems/solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zach
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2004, 04:26 PM

The password is in the book. The idea is that it is important to read the book to use the software.

Please have a look at the stuck thread that describes the problem and the solution.

The reason I decided on a set path as per the Adobe default is two-fold:
1. Those with less experience using PCs had trouble determining the path and they would usually use the Adobe default for installs.
2. Anyone who knows enough about computers to change the default installation aught to be more apt to handle differences between their system and other default installations. If they are not able to do that, they best not change defaults
;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2004, 05:16 PM

Got it working

Clearing out the effects cache folder did the trick. Now all is well in the world . I purposely put major programs into non-default directories so I can find/manipulate them more easily..."C:\Program Files" is already stuffed with enough files/directories as it is.

Thanks again.

Zach Smith
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2004, 09:47 AM

Good practice will be to uninstall some of those programs that you really don't use and things you installed on a trial basis.

Glad the solution worked out! Thanks for letting us know that it worked.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support